Connecticut

alternatives to the first dance?

My fiance and I have no desire to do a first dance, he's not big on dancing and probably won't dance at all during the reception (fine by me) and I only really dance if there's a large group.  We don't want to do a wedding party dance either and are both rather uncomfortable with everyone staring at us on the dance flood.  Does anyone have an non cheesy alternatives to doing a first dance?  Should we just skip it altogether and go right into the champagne toast?

Re: alternatives to the first dance?

• What about if you just have all the bridal party join you initially? You could also ask your entertainment to request that everyone"(guests)  join in with you when you start dancing.

~Miss.~
    ~Mrs.~
    **Password: kls114**
    Photobucket
    Anniversary
  • In your situation, I would do no dancing when you're introduced at the reception. Just go to your seats and do the toast. Then, when it's time to start dancing after dinner, perhaps ask your parents or grandparents to start the evening with a slow dance? 
  • I'd just skip it!  Get introduced, take a seat, and then when it's time for dancing, have the DJ announce that the bride & groom invite all their guests to join them in dancing (and have a few friends who know they're supposed to dance, too, to lead by example!)

Anniversary

• Those things sound great.  We're also skipping the whole wedding party introduction, it's my least favorite part of all weddings I've gone too!!  The plan is to just magically appear after picture taking (we're planning on doing a first look with each other so we can save some time after the ceremony and hopefully catch the end of cocktail hour!)
  • I think you're fine to just skip it.  If anything isn't your thing, feel free to skip, it's your wedding!  I think we'll probably do a first dance, but we're not planning on being introduced either.  We'll just make our way into cocktail hour when we're done with pictures.  
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_connecticut_alternatives-first-dance?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:65Discussion:6c9e62b0-aa87-4555-81a3-c7c519faa6f2Post:faf852c9-0417-4a40-bf96-64d95ed1a731">Re: alternatives to the first dance?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Those things sound great.  We're also skipping the whole wedding party introduction, it's my least favorite part of all weddings I've gone too!!  The plan is to just magically appear after picture taking (we're planning on doing a first look with each other so we can save some time after the ceremony and hopefully catch the end of cocktail hour!)
    Posted by sarberrie[/QUOTE]

I might re-think this ONLY because I know a lot of your guests will probably be disappointed that they didn't get the chance to yell and cheer for you being introduced for the first time as "Mr & Mrs"  It's definitely one of my favorite parts as a guest (is that weird?)  Plus it's so quick!

But I definitely agree that you can just skip the first dance altogether.  If dancing just isn't your thing, then don't bother!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I agree with PP- skip the dance if you don't want to do it, but maybe to a quick introduction....

however, as my PSA stated earlier, it's your wedding, so do what you want to do and what makes you comfortable. I, for one, am looking forward to being introduced as the same time as Mr. & Mrs.!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards