Virginia

Anyone here?

Good Morning :) So, I dont really see a lot of "action" on this board, so I thought I would see how many people are really checking this..
So, if you are here.. let us know when you got engaged.. when and where is your wedding.. and where are you in the planning stage..

Me:
I got engaged on November 15th.. I'm getting married in Virginia Beach in local church, reception is at the Yacht Club at Marina Shores.
I have the "big" stuff done.. Dress, bridesmaid dresses, tuxedos, invites, photographer, caterer, dj, limo.
Currently looking for hair and makeup artists that will come to me.. Rehearsal dinner spot and all of the "little" things!

Hope to hear back from you all!

Re: Anyone here?

• greeneyes10greeneyes10 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hello!
    I'm so glad you posted this because I wondering the same thing. 

I got engaged last year Jan 25...we're getting married May 22 at a local church near Smith Mountain Lake and then having our reception at Bernards Landing Conference Center and Resort. I've also got all of the big stuff done, all that's left is to send the invites, make sure the groomsmen have ordered their tuxes and get the contract from the dj (the mail has been delayed with all of this snow). 

• edited December 2011
    Oh no!  So you are stuck in the snow?  I feel for you.  Down in Virginia beach, we were down about 2 days and that was it!

I think the little things are the hardest to do because there is SO much to think about.. I am afraid I am going to forget something.

It is fun looking at all of the wedding websites though.. but a little overwhelming for sure!

Well, hopefully we will hear from more brides and get this board moving along!
    I know that there are plenty of us out here with tons of advice and vendors ideas!
  • embalishembalish member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi!  This is my first post!  (:

I've been lurking here since my engagement last month, Jan. 03.  We've set a tentative date for sometime in April 2011, so we haven't done a lot of serious planning.

We're somewhat on a budget so we were thinking of having our reception at the Officers' Club at Little Creek in Norfolk.  Neither of us are military but our parents are retired.  Other than that, I've been trying to search through the VA board here for some vendor reviews.

Thanks for starting this thread!
  • edited December 2011
    Welcome and congrats!! :) You have some time then..
    I have heard that the Officers club is pretty nice.. Let us know what you're looking for and all of that good stuff and I am sure we can help or at least guide you :)
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yes congrats! 
    And I got my contract today along with a wonderful step by step guide for songs, announcements, etc
    I'm worried about the little things too. I feel like all the big stuff is done, so I can take a breather and then think of like ten more things and freak out. 
    Embalish- Let us know if you need anything, I can't help much in the Norfolk area info, but will try my best with general advice!

• edited December 2011

Greeneyes -- Thats great!  Thats one thing I do need to do.. pick out a few songs.. the little things.. UGH

I went to look at my invitation proof tonight..
    I have heard that its not "real" until you start getting RSVP's back..

Has it "hit" anyone that they are realllly getting married? :)

First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks and belated congrats to you both as well!

I'm starting to look for ideas for every aspect of the ceremony/reception as I'm shopping.  I'm also starting to gather up old invites/programs that I've received in the past for stationery ideas.  I even have some favors from a couple of weddings I've attended, lol.

I still have over a year of planning to do (thank goodness!) so it hasn't quite hit me yet.  I'm excited to plan things out but I'm sure I'll start panicking as 2011 draws closer!
  • maria1012maria1012 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I thought this board was dead too! 

Engaged last June and our wedding is September 10, 2011. We live in CA, but are both from Virginia, so we are getting married in Mt. Crawford (near Harrisonburg) at Cross Keys Vineyard for both the ceremony and reception. 

We have our venue (obviously), photographer, day of coordinator (she's great, so if you need one, let me know!), and my dress. Next on the list is a caterer - which I haven't had much luck with lately. They are pretty unreliable with email - or maybe its because my wedding is so far off and I'm not a priority to them right now. 
  • luckyme502luckyme502 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I got engaged the first of January.  We are getting married July 24th, 2010!  We are having the ceremony and reception at the Boxwood Inn in Newport News!  I've gotten some stuff done, but still have tons to do in the way of planning!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

2011 Reading Challenge

Jessica has read 16 books toward her goal of 150 books.
    hide
    "It's fine to have an open mind, just not so open your brains fall out."
  • edited December 2011

Yay :) More people are showing up!  Let's get this board alive again :) I am sure that with Valentine's Day Sunday.. there will be a ton more of newly engaged brides checking things out :)

So, what are your plans this weekend?  How much wedding stuff is on your agenda??

For me.. Not too much.. Sunday my FI and I are having brunch at the same spot we are probably going to have our rehearsal dinner.. so we are going to check the room out then.. Hopefully, I will be booking that Monday!

• courtnikocourtniko member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi!  It is so nice to see people posting on here!

I am getting married this April!  Woo Hoo, it is coming up fast.  I got engaged in December of 2008.

We are getting married at a church in Newport News, and then the reception is at Colonial Heritage in Williamsburg.

I have almost all the big stuff done, but a lot of little things to go.  Invites go out next week!  Eee, so excited for that!!!  We can even apply for out marriage license in the next few weeks.

Please keep the posts coming!!!  Get this board lively, that would be so nice  :)
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Maria:  I love the 09.10.11 wedding date!  I thought it'd be cute to pick a date like that, but my FI doesn't want to wait that long and 08.09.10 is too soon for me.  I thought about 12.11.10 but I still think that's too soon--I have some weight to lose (ack!) plus it might be too close to the holidays.

For those getting married this year, I hope you visit the boards afterwards so you can tell us how the big day went!  (:  I'd love to read your vendor reviews too, lol.  ;D
  • edited December 2011
    Oh.. vendor reviews will be great!  I havent seen any for the place I am having my reception.  But I do know that 2 of my vendors are on the "best of the knot".. so I am happy about that..

I actually took care of a little thing today.. I bought my wedding jewelry.. Just a bracelet and earrings.. I am thinking I dont really need a necklace because my dress is blingy :)

So anyone doing wedding stuff this weekend?
  • luckyme502luckyme502 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm not doing anything for the wedding this weekend, but next weekend I am meeting with Norfolk Florist for the second time,  have some changes I want to make.  We are meeting with the officiant.  I have to take my niece to get her flower girl dress.  I am also meeting with the violinist and the DJ.  Since I live in Richmond, and am getting married in Hampton Roads, I have to squeeze everything I can into the weekends!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

2011 Reading Challenge

Jessica has read 16 books toward her goal of 150 books.
    hide
    "It's fine to have an open mind, just not so open your brains fall out."
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The only thing I'm doing this weekend is working on the direction/accommodation inserts for the invitations (and watching the Olympics!). In a few weeks we're going to a tasting for our caterer, taking pics for our signing book at the wedding, meeting with the florist, meeting with the coordinator at the reception site, hopefully meeting with the officiant and a dress fitting. We're in Fredericksburg and getting married near Roanoke, so we're also fitting everything into weekends and over Spring Break (we'e seniors in college). 

Also, I went to Michaels the other day and they have some nice initial cake toppers if anyone is looking for one. They had silver and gold ones, and each one had a few small rhinestones on them. 
  • jbuck429jbuck429 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I got engaged January of this year. No official date set yet, but we're thinking early July of 2011. Right now, I'm just scoping things out and looking for a place that fits our budget and still will be nice. Its nice to see people on here!
  • maria1012maria1012 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Embalish: Thanks! We had to rule out all the other weekends around that date and when it was left, we just realized how cool it was. A ways off, but when you live 3000 miles away, its a bit hard to plan! 

Good luck planning and the weight loss. The board on here for that is really good- they seem to have great ideas and motivation techniques. 
  • vbbride2010vbbride2010 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi! I just joined this, so I'm glad to see some others on here! I have to get a few last decisions made and someone who lives in Ohio told me to try here!
  • burnsbabyburnsbaby member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi :)

We got engaged on Halloween of last year! :) Oct 31st, 2009! He had been dying to do it in October bc we met in Oct, yada yada. However, I was like deathly ill with some non-flu viral infection the whole last week of October! So on the 31st he just decided to wake me up at 7 am because he was so excited and propose surrounded by tissues, water bottles, and a medicine cabinet of drugs at my parents house on a futon mattress in their living room! (I always go to my parents when i'm sick haha!)

We're on quite a tight budget, so we're having the ceremony and reception at my childhood church. We're getting married June 26th, 2010!

I'm a teacher- needless to say a planner- so almost everything is already planned! We're just waiting for the day! A few things need to be worked out- like cooking the food. Again- tight budget- we're having a buffet and my family and I are doing all of the food ourselves (cuts thousands off the cost and we're still having quality food!) So, the timing and who exactly is doing what when still needs to be planned. Oh and the music. I know and have already compiled a ipod playlist for the reception (none of us are big dancers- my dad wouldn't even entertain the idea of dancing with me infront of everyone.) And my mother's best friend's husband will sing and perform some songs during the reception (he's a local artist.) Now I just need to decide what we're playing for the ceremony music! It's at the church, so their really picky about the music. It'll probably just be a piano or instrumental, but I don't want the traditional bridal march!

Glad more activity's in the HR area!
    "I love you.. even when you're sick and look disgusting!" -Love Actually
    My Planning Bio
  • burnsbabyburnsbaby member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hey-- anyone who needs a photographer in HR should check out LaceyLichiPhotography.com. She is a LIGHT! She's so amazing and she's just one of those people who brightens any room! Plus she'll work with you on anything and she gets your pictures back so quickly (in comparison to most professionals.) She makes you feel totally comfortable! Not to sound all salelady-ish haha I just really love her and I think yall would too! :)
    "I love you.. even when you're sick and look disgusting!" -Love Actually
    My Planning Bio
  • edited December 2011

Hi everyone,

I live in Va Beach for my job, but FI and I grew up in Richmond, so we are getting married there in Sept of this year at my childhood church. Reception will be nearby and we are having a BBQ. So far, I have ceremony, reception, cake, photographer, and dress done. Still need to order invites, meet with DJ and Caterer, find florist, and have my sister help me find a BM dress we both like :-) Like many of you, I have been planning a lot by phone/email and squeezing in time to go home when I am not at work. Good luck to everyone!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards