Maryland

Venues?

Hi, I am a first time poster on the Maryland board, so let me introduce myself. My name is Shyanne, I have been with my fiance for 5 years now (engaged for 3, lol) and now that things are settled down with our two year old we decided it is time to go forth with the wedding plans. But, now, I am lost. I don't know how to plan a wedding and I don't know how to figure out if I am getting duped or not and with all of the venues I have seen in the Maryland area (I live in Montgomery County, which could be my big problem) the cheapest they run after food (most all of the venues I have found don't allow outside catering etc) is coming up to be 16.5 thousand. And that is just the venue/food/alcohol. That doesn't even include my wedding cake. I am a mother, I cannot by any means afford a 16.5 thousand dollar wedding on just the food and venue! Does anyone have other suggestions of places that aren't as expensive? Or places that allow outside catering? I would be ever so grateful. TIA!
"Look like a girl, act like a lady, think like a man, & work like a boss." imageDaisypath Wedding tickers

Re: Venues?

• cash82809cash82809 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you so much! I wouldn't mind crossing into PA, because in good traffic conditions it takes roughly 30-45 minutes to get there, and we can just get lodging there the night or two before hand. I just don't want to do what my mom did when she married my step dad and go all the way to Alexandria for my wedding! It was a bit of a hassel. Not to mention wherever I choose I need it to be near a hotel, at a hotel would be preferable. The majority of my family (actually all of my family other than my mom, step dad and son) live in Texas, Florida, Mississippi or New York. So I will have quite a few out-of-towners to accomodate and that will probably be a good chunk of our 'budget' too. LOL. How were you able to do your wedding with 6500 if you don't mind me asking?? 
    "Look like a girl, act like a lady, think like a man, & work like a boss." imageDaisypath Wedding tickers
  • ashlidieashlidie member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    Hey you're a June 13 bride!  (I just commented over on that board on your post lol).

Congrats again...
    So what you're being quoted isnt unheard of, in fact some people just don't think twice because they are lucky enough to be able to afford whatever they want without having to look into cost effective options (that are just as gorgeous!)...OK so Im bitter haha.

My budget was about 10k, but after both of us just got job increases, we are looking at about 12.5k (total, like everything, taxes gratuity...everything).

Lovethebeach has done an amazing job with giving you some excellent tips, but for starters what is your theme for your wedding?  That will help with anyone who may be able to give you any tips about venues.  We also need to know your # of guests.  If you have 500 guests 16.5 is actually a good price! lol  Are you a fancy ballroom kinda girl?  Like a loft in the city, like mansions/inns, rustic venues?

Though for stationary, learn from Jena.n.ross over on the budget and DIY boards.  Vistaprint is your best friend.  With all the saving tips, I think I will spend $2 per person for invitations, RSVP cards, magnet save the dates, website or whatever inserts for the invitations, oh and postage... combined.  I will still need to buy programs so those may cost me another 60 cents per person.  Basically the only thing I haven't bought yet is invitations and programs since I have plenty of time, I am just taking advantage of deals as they come.  It may be of interest to buy the forever stamps since they last forever, and stamp prices increase in like 25 days, and may again in the future...
    June 2013 - Shoe Inspiration
    imageimage
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    lovethebeach, thanks for all the breakdowns, I appreciate it! It gives me a really good idea on what to do!

ashlidie, yes June 2013!! LOL. My theme is kind of.. Strange. I fell in love with the disney bridal line from Alfred Angelo, Cinderella's dress. I can't imagine myself in any OTHER dress but THAT ONE. I think it is about 700, maybe less. I have to make an appointment to go try that specific dress on as the nearest place to do so is in Sterling, VA. (I tried one that was as similar as possible and that particular style looks good on me) So I kind of wanted to do my theme around the dress. Nothing too fancy, but still says 'fairy tale romance' ish. Cheesy, I know. :P The guest list is at about 150, but will probably be cut down to 100. I do know that I want my wedding to at least be partially outdoors and I think I found a venue, just need to go look at it. If I love it, I have to change my wedding date as June 8, 2013 is already booked.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_maryland_venues?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:627Discussion:efa8ef18-08e7-47e2-8834-28ff7dbb8647Post:dd2a1491-904a-435f-827a-01e7958f517c">Re: Venues?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Venues? : Accommodate how? It's definitely not required to pay for their hotel rooms or anything.[/QUOTE]

<div>I know it isn't required, but I know if I didn't pay for *some* of them people like my grandmother wouldn't be able to make it to come. And my grandmother raised me so she HAS to be there, lol. As for others, I could possibly just offer to partially pay and see what they think as long as it is in my budget. :)</div>
  • We are getting married at Shade Trees and Evergreens in Frederick, daily rental is about $3000 for the day, but you get it for the entire day, and the vendors in Frederick and surrounding areas are very reasonable, lots of options for budget hotels too.  Good luck (from a fellow June 2013 bride!)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards