Not Engaged Yet

If you had to name this chapter in your life...

If you had to name this chapter in your life- what would you call it?

How long has this chapter lasted? What do you think the next chapter includes?

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Re: If you had to name this chapter in your life...

• lunarsongbirdlunarsongbird member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011

I would name this chapter "Relearning." It started about 4 months ago. After being on an absolute Cloud 9 with Andrew, reality began to set back in. I started having emotional hiccups again. I have combatted those successfully with 5HTP and L-tyrosine. Take that, bad moods!

And now I'm in a really good palce to make some changes. I feel really stable emotionally and physically- so I've laid a good foundation.

These are some of the things I want to Relearn:

- When you bring something into your car, such as a soda can or a receipt- take it with you when you leave.
    - When you take your shirt off- don't put it on the chair next to the dresser- walk across the room and put it in the hamper.
    - Floss your teeth everyday
    - Clear the table after dinner
    - Do the laundry at least once a week
    - Dont shove random crap in your purse
    - Try to respond to your e-mails when you get them
    - Chemicals such as things found in Snickers bars and Coca Cola are bad and don't taste good.
    - Fried food feels heavy and is yucky.
    - Drink more water
    - Start liking the gym

And in no time- I'll be closer to the woman I really want to be- a healthy, tidy, happy woman.  

This will help me with my next chapter- hopefully titled, "Planting roots"- where I'll move to Colorado. Andrew and I will find jobs, find an apartment, and get engaged. Stay tuned!

• ravenrayravenray member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011

Hmmm a deep question.

This chapter in my life would be called School, Waiting, and Happiness.

This chapter has been going since last summer.  I am really enjoying my life, things are going pretty good.  I am just trying to be patient and waiting for the best time, I am sure that the BF will know when it is the best time to get married.

I am pretty sure the next chapter will be titled either Davis, German, and Poorness or Married, Davis, and Poor.  Lol.  As I am hoping to be married next year.  But who knows.

"Love is not affectionate feeling, but a steady wish for the loved person's ultimate good as far as it can be obtained"-C.S. Lewis

Married! May 27th, 2012

edited December 2011
    UC Davis? I lived in Davis for a summer- and then Woodland for another year. I like that area a lot.
  • edited December 2011
    I usually lurk on this board, but I like questions like these.  

This would be Chapter 5:  Independent Woman.  This chapter started four years ago when I graduated from college, got a job, and moved out on my own.  It has consisted of a single gal making her own way in the world while dealing with the loneliness that comes from moving away from friends and family for a job.  Not to mention, my boyfriend is a graduate student in Michigan, so we've been doing the long distance relationship thing for four years, which adds drama to the chapter at times.  And the comic relief comes from some good old fashioned girl time with friends and the hilarious antics of my two cats.

Chapter 6 will hopefully begin when my boyfriend graduates in December and moves back to the area and in with me.  I will still be an Independent Woman, but I won't have to be so independent all the time and will hopefully be starting my life with the man I love.  Boyfriend and I have talked about marriage and whatnot, so I anticipate Chapter 6 will include our engagement, marriage, and honeymoon (bow-chika-wow-wow).  ;o)
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • ravenrayravenray member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_name-this-chapter-life?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:f4b82625-a043-4a99-946c-1afadad53500Post:74bfe23a-9e9e-45c6-bd65-88d025c5a9e5">Re: If you had to name this chapter in your life...</a>:
    [QUOTE]UC Davis? I lived in Davis for a summer- and then Woodland for another year. I like that area a lot.
    Posted by lunarsongbird[/QUOTE]
    Yep!  I am getting ready to transfer next year. :)  I really want to live on one of the LotR street names....  Like it is my dream! ;) lol  I have only been down there once (It is about an hour and a half a way for me) but it is really pretty.
    "Love is not affectionate feeling, but a steady wish for the loved person's ultimate good as far as it can be obtained"-C.S. Lewis

Married! May 27th, 2012

edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_name-this-chapter-life?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:f4b82625-a043-4a99-946c-1afadad53500Post:1d651974-6239-41d2-9626-b8b3e84bb5c4">Re: If you had to name this chapter in your life...</a>:
    [QUOTE]I usually lurk on this board, but I like questions like these.   This would be Chapter 5:  Independent Woman.  This chapter started four years ago when I graduated from college, got a job, and moved out on my own.  It has consisted of a single gal making her own way in the world while dealing with the loneliness that comes from moving away from friends and family for a job.  Not to mention, my boyfriend is a graduate student in Michigan, so we've been doing the long distance relationship thing for four years, which adds drama to the chapter at times.  And the comic relief comes from some good old fashioned girl time with friends and the hilarious antics of my two cats. Chapter 6 will hopefully begin when my boyfriend graduates in December and moves back to the area and in with me.  I will still be an Independent Woman, but I won't have to be so independent all the time and will hopefully be starting my life with the man I love.  Boyfriend and I have talked about marriage and whatnot, so I anticipate Chapter 6 will include our engagement, marriage, and honeymoon (bow-chika-wow-wow).  ;o)
    Posted by CrzyCatLady[/QUOTE]

This sounds like a good story!! You should come around more often and share!!

I be there will be some good drama about adjusting from a long-term, long-distance relationship into a "Icanseeyoueveryday!YAY!Oooh... I have to see you <em>every</em> day?" relationship. ;) But I'm sure the chapter will end in a happy ending!
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_name-this-chapter-life?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:f4b82625-a043-4a99-946c-1afadad53500Post:aa0a7479-d84c-4953-960f-dbfaff2fb178">Re: If you had to name this chapter in your life...</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: I be there will be some good drama about adjusting from a long-term, long-distance relationship into a "Icanseeyoueveryday!YAY!Oooh... I have to see you every day?" relationship. ;) But I'm sure the chapter will end in a happy ending!
    Posted by lunarsongbird[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Oh, ya, I already see that coming.  I live in a one-bedroom apartment, and we're definitely going to have to move somewhere a bit bigger.  I'm too used to my space now, lol.  Oh the irony.

</div>
    edited December 2011
    Moves are stressful. Ugh. This January, I moved into Andrew's apartment- which is literally less then 560 sq. ft! 

A studio apartment. No real walls. Living with an only child, who has never shared a space, who was single for awhile before meeting me.

Surprisingly, things have been going well. Although I do admit that they day before yesterday- I made dinner listening to my iPod, because I couldn't stand listening to "Family Guy" anymore. He watches that show every freaking day.

Last night, before putting in my ear plugs- I asked him if he ever gets tired of watching Adult Swim- and the same darn thing everyday... He said no. And then I fell asleep. Silly boy.
  • cu97tigercu97tiger member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    I think this chapter in my life would be called 'Living, Loving and Learning' and it has lasted just about three years.

Three years ago I decided to move to Arizona from Florida for grad school and made the fateful decision to email a random stranger on MySpace to ask about places to live and things to do in Phoenix (spoiler: he's now my BF). The rest of the three years has been spent earning my MBA, falling in love over and over with my hawt boyfriend, climbing mountains (Camelback), visiting foreign countries (Mexico, Spain, Germany and Austria), and learning that it's ok to admit how freaking kick-a$$ I am. 

The next chapter will hopefully be called 'Mr & Mrs L Win the Lottery!' :) Just kidding, it will hopefully be called 'Mr & Mrs L Start a Family'

I like this game... let's do it more often!

ETA: More details... because who doesn't want more details? 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

"You are made of win." -SopChick
    Still here and still fabulous!

edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_name-this-chapter-life?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:f4b82625-a043-4a99-946c-1afadad53500Post:313c2a91-4b96-40bd-ac50-7582535afdb7">Re: If you had to name this chapter in your life...</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think this chapter in my life would be called 'Living, Loving and Learning' and it has lasted just about three years. Three years ago I decided to move to Arizona from Florida for grad school and made the fateful decision to email a random stranger on MySpace to ask about places to live and things to do in Phoenix (spoiler: he's now my BF). The rest of the three years has been spent earning my MBA, falling in love over and over with my hawt boyfriend, climbing mountains (Camelback), visiting foreign countries (Mexico, Spain, Germany and Austria), and learning that it's ok to admit how freaking kick-a$$ I am.  The next chapter will hopefully be called 'Mr & Mrs L Win the Lottery!' :) Just kidding, it will hopefully be called 'Mr & Mrs L Start a Family' I like this game... let's do it more often! ETA: More details... because who doesn't want more details? 
    Posted by cu97tiger[/QUOTE]

Ooh! I like this book! And the spoiler alert! And it is important to learn how awesome you are, isn't it? Most everyone shoud have this in their book at some point, I think!
  • edited December 2011
    Ouch!  That apartment sounds tight.  I'm glad things are going well for the two of you!  

I'm really happy that my boyfriend doesn't love a bunch of shows that I hate.  I don't know if I'd be able to deal with Family Guy every day for a week, not to mention years.  Oy.
  • Wrkn925Wrkn925 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011

Altered Trajectories

Or Transitions to simplify.

Life is about change, but it seems like lately I've given up on waiting or allowing change to happen, and making it happen.

rawr.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • edited December 2011
    I would call this chapter "I'm Doing This For Me"

It started when I broke things off with my ex-fiance in 2006 (I'd call my life chapter with him "I'm Doing This for Him", everything in that relationship was about him). That was the first thing I truly did that was for me and my best interest in a very long time. I went through a low period after that, but then I began doing other things for myself.

I took the GRE, went back to school for a PhD, and quit my job. That was something I had always wanted to do, but was constantly told that I couldn't do it by my ex.

I started buying myself stuff that I wanted. Again, something I didn't do when I was with my ex.

My ex was my high school sweetheart, so I never had an adult relationship. I learned how to date. I learned what I wanted in a man that I wanted to spend my life with. If I hadn't started doing things for me, I wouldn't have met FI.

My next chapter will begin in December. This is when FI and I will get married. My next chapter would be called "I'm Doing This for Us". We talk about our goals and what is best for both of us all the time. We have "State of the Union" discussions every couple of months so that we are both on the same page.
    ~~December 3, 2011~~
  • edited December 2011
    A year ago I was in the "How to date as an adult" chapter.  The last time I dated was as a child, prior to marrying my ex at 19.  I've been divorced many years after 10 years of marriage, and was content with being alone.  Little did I know I'd meet this wonderful guy and actually not want to be alone anymore.  (Others never had that kind of impact.)

Now I'm in the "God knows your path" chapter.  I say this knowing that if you had asked me where I'd be now 3 years ago, my answer would look nothing like my current life.  I'd still be living in DFW working my IT job and seeing my same friends.  Now I've moved 1.5 hours north, returned to school to change careers and missing my old friends while making some new friendships.
    Next, who knows.  I'll wait to write that chapter once I get there Wink
    Every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end... Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Bwahaha! Living with an only child really does suck, Lunar. We seriously don't know how to share. It's hard, but you guys will figure out something that works though, I promise ;-)

You've asked a really awesome question. I was just talking to my shrink about how I feel like a chapter is closing in my life, and a new one is about to begin. I don't know exactly what the new chapter holds, since I have yet to hear back from any of the organizations I've applied to. It's driving me nuts, but I am learning that I can't control everything in my life. Also, that while I am sitting here waiting for my life to start... life is happening NOW, and I'm spending my time worrying about what's next instead of enjoying it.

At any rate, I have spent the past three years working as a teacher in an extremely tough environment (basically, all of the kids that were kicked out of other schools for being "bad" were sent to my school. It's something of a "last stop" before a residential psychiatric clinic.) I have gone through so much. I have been punched, kicked and bit, even receievd death threats. I have seen kids taken down and handcuffed in my classroom, and taken off to the psychiatric hospital. Not to mention all of the crazy drama I have had with colleagues and administration that is best not talked about here. My first year of teaching, I came home every single day and went into the shower and cried. My second year, I came home and went to sleep most days. My third year, while I have learned to deal effectively with the kids - I still get worked up over drama with adults. I can't really express in words, but it has been extremely challenging.

I have decided that it is best for me, both professionally and emotionally, to move on. I am lucky to have a fiance who supports me in this decision, and I am looking for jobs, internship, volunteer positions - anything to get me where I want to be. He has watched me go through this entire three years. As hard as it's been for me, it's also hard for him to watch.

On the flip side of the coin, this experience has taught me SO much. I have changed SO much over these past three years, I have become stronger and more confident. I have faced hardship, but I still went into work every day with a smile on my face and gave it my all. There are experiences I have had teaching music to these kids that have been so amazing and moving. (As low as the lows are at this job, you simply cannot beat the highs.) I cannot believe all of the personal growth I have experienced these past three years, and I think I had to endure this hardship in order to gain that.

I can't think of a really poignant title for this chapter at the moment, something about challenges, endurance and inner strength ;-)

Oy, that question led to a long emotional rant... I'm sorry guys, I've been going through a lot lately.

edited December 2011

Wrkn- I would totally read a book called Altered Trajectories. I find people's life stories to be incredibly fascinating. Especially at this age- 27.. I love hearing what people thought their life would be like when they were my age- and whether or not it ended up that way. For most people- it's a case of Altered Trajectories.

Ember- I love the "I'm Doing This For..." theme. Maybe someday there will be a "I'm Doing This For Baby..." ;) And the State of the Union talks are a great idea. I can't help but blabber on about my wants/dreams/desires for the future- so I feel like we talk about what page we are on all the time. Because I'm so excited about it!

MMHEPB- I've been wondering a lot about my faith lately, but whenever there is a big change- I always seem to come back to this:

And I think..."God, Please let their be a job for me in Colorado...Please, please, please! I'm on the right path, correct?!"

Musik- Wow- your post was fascinating. What a rollercoaster you have been on. I'm so glad that you don't shed tears everyday now. This big change of a new job sounds like it will be a really good one. I'm looking forward to hearing how it comes out.

• Beads921Beads921 member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    "Finding Peace and Happiness"

The previous chapter of my life would have been called "Beads and the Battle", and probably ended sometime during my first year of university. I'm glad to have that part of my life over, and now I've moved on. The chapter of life I'm in right now has been one of great self-discovery. I'm continuing to seek and find what I want out of life, and who I am, but I'm completely at peace with that. I am now a self-assured young woman and I'm very proud of what I've accomplished. 5 years ago I'd never have believed I'd be able to say that. BF has been a part of it, and I value his support, but I've made huge strides on my own that I'm proud of, and therefore also value my independence. 

Lately I've been feeling really good, like things are finally coming together, and I think that's kind of an indication that this chapter of my life will soon be coming to a close. I'll be graduating university soon, and entering the professional world full-time. The "finding" part of this chapter will end (hopefully with me in a job I enjoy), and I'll be able to start living with some more stability. BF and I will be buying a home, and settling into the rest of our lives.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

Life is good today.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_name-this-chapter-life?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:f4b82625-a043-4a99-946c-1afadad53500Post:5c6b725b-3099-45a5-8c89-c1fbd6ef2502">Re: If you had to name this chapter in your life...</a>:
    [QUOTE]MMHEPB- I've been wondering a lot about my faith lately, but whenever there is a big change- I always seem to come back to this: And I think..."God, Please let their be a job for me in Colorado...Please, please, please! I'm on the right path, correct?!" 

<div>Well feel free to join us over on the Christian Weddings board.  Lots of thought provoking questions and sharing of troubles and triumphs all mixed in with a lot of love and a bit of snarkiness.</div>
    Every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end... Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • IrishDreamerIrishDreamer member
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    Hmmm... I suppose this chapter would be called, Went from that to this?? And it took how long?? Psshhhhh...... and it's lasted for about the last three years, and I really think it is coming to a close. 

The past three years have been a rollercoaster for me. I left my exhusband, moved 1500 miles away from all my friends, to a podunk town, got back into college, and really spent time developing who I am. I had shut so much of myself off when I was with my ex, that it took a while for me to find myself again. Now that I have, and I've met SO, I can't imagine my life being any other way. I also can't believe I put up with his bullshit for so long. 

The next chapter that is starting is called "Live, laugh, love". It sounds cliche, but it's really what I'm doing. I'm living my life for me, I'm laughing and enjoying my life, and I'm loving not only myself, but my life, my family, and my SO. :) Looking into buying a house *EEEEP* and moving into the next phase of our lives :)

Good Question Lunar! <3
  • IrishDreamerIrishDreamer member
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_name-this-chapter-life?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:f4b82625-a043-4a99-946c-1afadad53500Post:2fef8d12-22ef-4064-bea2-ec3fed61caa7">Re: If you had to name this chapter in your life...</a>:
    [QUOTE]This is a great question and I've been thinking about it for a long time and have written and rewritten in this little reply box and keep erasing. SO...I'm still thinking. I just wanted to tell you that haha.
    Posted by LivLeighton[/QUOTE]

<div>:) Glad I'm not the only one that did that!!</div>
  • edited December 2011
    Hmm...this chapter would be called, "Headaches, Hornbooks, and a 
    Fiance".  I think that's pretty self explanatory.

EDIT:  And it's been going on since last summer.  The chapter before this was probably titled "New City, New Love"
    edited December 2011
    I'm glad you like this question!! I love knowing more about you all!

I had to google hornbook. LOL.
  • becunning2becunning2 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My chapter is usually called "Almost Done," but sometimese it's called "Why-in-heck-did-I-decide-to-go-back-to-school-and-put-myself-through-this-mess-and-work-so-hard?!"

This chapter will end next May when I finish my master's degree in Education (and student teaching that spring too; I'm in a graduate licensure program).  There are a lot of things I like about this stage.  I like learning, and I'm looking forward to being a teacher, and I even like my graduate student job. It's just a bit overwhelming to be working so hard.  This stage also comes with a live-in boyfriend AND live-in roommates.  And I'm so ready for this stage to be just about living with the boyfriend, and, well, him being something other than a boyfriend.

I was never known for my patience...
  • edited December 2011
    I'm just finishing up "Young Love" and about to start writing "Taking Care of Me".  (I wish I had more clever titles)

"Young Love" - Young girl falls in love with an older guy.  Things go south but she think's he's the one and that things will get better.  Somehow over 6 years go by and she finally comes to the realization that nothing has changed and more than likely nothing ever will.  Now a college graduate with a stable career, she makes the decision to leave and is now planning her escape and waiting for the right time to break the news.

"Taking Care of Me" - The time is right and she finally makes her move.  Things are hard at first, but she makes a promise to herself to always look out for number 1.  A while goes by and eventually she finds the man she was looking for all along.
  • Wrkn925Wrkn925 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    PS- I'll say this again.

Read Twenty-Something, Twenty Everything.  It's about quarter-life crises in females.  I'm not through with it, but the first few chapters kind of slapped me in the face.

http://www.amazon.com/20-Something-20-Everything-Quarter-life-Balance-Direction/dp/157731476X

ETA: I also recommend buying the paperback.  This is something you need to fold the cover back on and scribble in.
    edited December 2011
    "Women's Guide to Balance and Direction"

Goodness- that's exactly what I need! I'm going to see if Barnes and Noble has it is stock. Thanks!
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_name-this-chapter-life?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:f4b82625-a043-4a99-946c-1afadad53500Post:2acc29f5-f948-4df5-a035-0773f8bf6ca0">If you had to name this chapter in your life...</a>:
    [QUOTE]If you had to name this chapter in your life- what would you call it? How long has this chapter lasted? What do you think the next chapter includes?

<div>I would call it "The Beginning."</div><div>
    </div><div>The last chapter (called "Let's play stupid") ended in early 2009 when I realized it was time to stop dinking around and grow up. I realized I wanted to be married, although at the time I was very single. I chased several guys for a few months each out of desperation. Making bad decisions is not a hobby, I decided, and playing stupid finally got old.  I decided I was just done DONE D.ON.E. with dating until I met someone who was equally as ready as me. </div><div>
    </div><div>"The beginning" starts off with a few first dates that were cute and romantic. Date #3 consists of a frank conversation where I said to him "look, I'm sick of dinking around. I only want to continue this if you are looking for a long term relationship that will eventually lead to marriage and family. If you have issues or baggage or fears of this tell me right now, and I will leave so no one gets hurt." He leaned in, hugged me, and said "where have you been all this time!"</div><div>
    </div><div>The next chapter will include engagement, marriage, and taking my career on a different path because the one I am on now just isn't a forever thing. TBD.... stay tuned!</div>
    www.nurseyk.weebly.com
  • Wrkn925Wrkn925 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_name-this-chapter-life?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:f4b82625-a043-4a99-946c-1afadad53500Post:0fb0486b-9965-4f51-a866-72fe9d0825c8">Re: If you had to name this chapter in your life...</a>:
    [QUOTE]"Women's Guide to Balance and Direction" Goodness- that's exactly what I need! I'm going to see if Barnes and Noble has it is stock. Thanks!

It's a self-help book with quizzes to work on yourself, so be prepared to work a little.  But I think you'll like it.
  • edited December 2011
    "Finally"

A chapter in which I do all the things I meant to do, met the man who simply gets me, slow down enough to garden, and where I finally find a job which I am passionate about with a team of people whom I totally respect.

Next I am hoping for a little round object to wrap the chapter up ;-) The next chapter will be fulfilling the dreams I haven't dreamt yet.

And I have to say Go Cal Aggies! When you have some time check out the Antique Mechanics Club... Cool old tractors.
  • thejessythejessy member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The Great Adventure. Moved to Dubai in August to be a flight attendant and I have already seen so much of the world in less than a year than I have in my last 26 years on earth.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards