Missouri-St Louis

MO/IL

I am from MO (currently reside in STL) , FI is from IL (lives an hour from STL)  and both of our families live in the states we reside in.  The trouble we are having is where to have the wedding and the reception.  We don't want our guests having to travel too far. 

Has anyone else been in this situation?  We are just at a loss on what to do, have a very limited budget, and would like an outdoor wedding.

Any suggestions? 

Re: MO/IL

• JennyLane78JennyLane78 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Where exactly in the St. Louis area?  N, S, W?  And southern or northern IL?  That makes a big difference!
  • edited December 2011
    I live in South County currently.  FI lives in East Alton, IL (which is why I said it's an hour from STL because it's literally right across the river.)  His whole family lives in that same area. 

My family is a little more complicated being spread out throughout Franklin County (Washington, St. Clair) and Washington County (Farmington, which is an hour and a half north of Cape Girardeua) 

Time wise, FI family is about an hour from anywhere in STL and my family is about an hour to an hour and a half from anywhere in STL

Does this help?
  • angiems97angiems97 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would look around and see what you like first, what fits your budget, and your timeline/dates open.   I am from IL and my fiance is from St. Louis.  Most of my family lives in St. Louis, but my wedding and reception are in IL.  Those drives still are not too bad for one night.  Also, family/friends who don't want to drive home after the reception can stay at a hotel.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Thank you Angie!  It's nice to know that there is someone else in the same boat as we are!  :)  I am worried about the distance and what-not (well, and the budget) I would like everyone we invite to be able to come and would hate that location would be a deciding factor for our guests.  I realize that not all we invite will be able to attend, but I want them to realize that we did take them all into consideration.

Where are you and your FI getting married at in IL?
  • edited December 2011

I think if I were you it would be a good idea to lookin the Collinsville area.  I am originally from Edwardsville which would be a good happy medium too, but Collinsville has a lot of hotel options.  Plus, even though I am a little partial to the IL side, IL is definitely going to be nicer to your budget than STL will be.

• edited December 2011
    All of my family is from the Illinois area but all of my FI's family is from Michigan. Were getting married in Fairview Heights, IL and have the reception at the Gateway Center in Collinsville. I love love love the Gateway Center. They are very reasonably priced for all that they offer. And I work at a hotel in Collinsville.. The prices there are MUCH better than the ones we looked at in STL.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards