Connecticut

DJ MELEE

Hey girls!  I am looking to book a DJ and you all rave about him.  So my question is why, what sets him apart?  Thank you!

Re: DJ MELEE

• edited December 2011
    For me what I liked was that he is passionate about music and it is his business so he is on top of everything. I also wanted someone younger becuase I have been to events with middle aged Dj's and my experience was they just didn't get what kind of music the crowd was into. DJ Melee knew new and old music and was able to blend in spanish and english songs for us.

And..... the best part his prices can't be beaten!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers image
  • Carebear62584Carebear62584 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    He is very easy going and accomodating.  When we met with him he told us about ways that he is going above and beyond for other weddings so he said don't be afraid to ask for anything.  For example, he's skyping a wedding that's in Afghanistan or something and for another wedding he is learning how to do the introductions in Portugese.  He told us that if we decide we want a song last minute and he's on the way to our wedding, he WILL get it either from his iphone or he will stop someplace where there is wi fi just to make that happen.  Because we booked so far out he is doing custom entrances for us (different song for each introduction) and makes it an mp3 file ahead of time.  This way, he can focus on doing the announcements instead of playing around with the music.  I believe he charges extra for this.  He was also very knowledgable and showed us all of his equipment and explained it to us, and how he has his music backed up in a bunch of different ways so he will never lose it.  On top of that all, as PP said, you cannot beat his price!
  • edited December 2011
    Hi Reckert7!
    I JUST got married on Saturday, April 23...and DJ MELEE was my dj.  
    I absolutely LOVED him.  You can tell he was passionate about what he does.  My wedding was multi-cultural...I'm filipino and my husband is indian.  We gave him a list of what I wanted to hear and also what I didnt want to hear. He stuck to that. And when someone requested a song that was not on my playlist, he politely declined to play the song unless he was given the ok by me or my husband. We had a mix of both filipino and indian music and he was able to get it...as long as you give him ample time..he can get the song.  
    I didn't have to worry about a thing..he was great to work with. I would definately recommend him to anyone! If you have any more questions..let me know!! I'll be happy to help!!!
    -Michelle
  • jacki8788jacki8788 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ditto to the PP's, we just booked him a week or so ago and I feel so comfortable with our decision. A huge plus is that he is REALLY reasonable, which was important for us because we're on a budget. He was very knowledgeable, friendly, accommodating, and you can tell he really cares about his job. My friend went with another company for her wedding, that does photography/DJing and some other stuff--they're paying DOUBLE what we are for their DJ, and they don't even know who the person is yet (it's one of those companies with multiple DJs I think, and they give you whoever's available).

I wouldn't hesitate to meet with him--definitely at least a year in advance if you can. We're still over a year away from our wedding date, and someone else contacted him the same day we did to try and book him--we got lucky!

Good luck with whoever you choose!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Ditto with all the PPs...he just gets it.  He understands how to make people dance and really listens to you.  If your getting married in 2012 even I wouldn't hesitate to meet with him.  Another bride for my date also contacted him right after we did, but we got lucky and booked him!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker kayleigh-3-1 Pregnancy Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I also recently booked with him. For me, it was the always stellar reviews here, and the really good price. After meeting with him, we felt very comfortable with his personality so that was enough to book him!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • calindicalindi member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I just met with him last weekend, and booked him on the spot!  He's incredibly professional - made us confident that he would respect our 'do-not-play' list (he had his own horror story from his own wedding), that he would be able to come up with music that everyone would enjoy, not be cheesy and MC-ish (like "Heeeeeeere's the brrrrrrride and grooooooooom!"  I don't live in Barnem & Bailey Circus and don't want to).

His prices were excellent!  He's nice, friendly, personable.  There was absolutely no question that we'd book him.

Anniversary

• edited December 2011
    Re: Jacki8788

YEAH YOU DID! It was ME!!!!!! We are out of the area, so I am guessing that is how you got lucky. Probably figured he could get the contract on the spot, even though I planned on booking him immediately given my research. At any rate, I hope you have a wonderful wedding, even if you did get my DJ. ha ha ha

For all of you other knotties who end up in my position, I will let you know how it goes and let you know all of the other great recommendations I have gotten so that you don't end up disappointed too!!!!!

I was soooooo bummed out to find out that someone else happened to call him the same time I contacted him with MY SAME DATE over a year from now, but I also believe that everything happens for a reason, so all of you girls who can't get DJ Melee, don't fret! You will find someone exactly right for your wedding!
  • calindicalindi member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Miravita, you could try asking Jason (DJ Melee) for a recommendation. He says he works with a few great ones and is thinking of hiring one as an associate. He also has a few who are working with him at all his events this fall because his wife is pregnant and due around then, so it is obviously someone he trusts!

Anniversary

• cdbishopcdbishop member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We booked DJ Melee 13 months ahead of our wedding.  He price is really reasonable (when I told my mom how much she was completely surprised).  When we met with him we were so comfortable talking to him, he seems passionate and knew exactly what we want in a DJ.  Book him early!
  • reckert7reckert7 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    thanks everyone! i am meeting with him in 2 weeks!
  • edited December 2011
    Make sure he still has the date open before you meet, We went all the way down to find out he was booked because the online calendar was not up to date, otherwise I would have booked him as soon as we walked through the door. 
    His prices CANT be beat, he's young with the right look talent attitude and experience. 
    It was VERY hard to find someone to compare to him. So we had to book someone  double the price and ask him ever so nicely to not wear  the sparkly tux vest, he doesn't generate a lot of commotion on the boards but had a video of a wedding he did which sealed the deal for us!
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_connecticut_dj-melee-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:65Discussion:c9aa85b1-0e34-4372-a319-cf49b1d4eb15Post:d313103f-3c3d-4b62-97f8-66262ed3ce43">Re: DJ MELEE</a>:
    [QUOTE]Re: Jacki8788 YEAH YOU DID! It was ME!!!!!! We are out of the area, so I am guessing that is how you got lucky. Probably figured he could get the contract on the spot, even though I planned on booking him immediately given my research. At any rate, I hope you have a wonderful wedding, even if you did get my DJ. ha ha ha For all of you other knotties who end up in my position, I will let you know how it goes and let you know all of the other great recommendations I have gotten so that you don't end up disappointed too!!!!! I was soooooo bummed out to find out that someone else happened to call him the same time I contacted him with MY SAME DATE over a year from now, but I also believe that everything happens for a reason, so all of you girls who can't get DJ Melee, don't fret! You will find someone exactly right for your wedding!
    Posted by miravita[/QUOTE]

Aww I felt really bad when he told us after we signed the contract, that someone else had contacted him right after we did for the same date--he's a popular guy! I thought we were way ahead of the game too, I never would have thought so many other people would book so far in advance. I hope you're able to find a DJ that you love--I saw a lot of good reccos on your other post! And I agree with the PP about asking DJ Melee for reccos, I remember him mentioning that he does know DJs that could actually "step in" if he wasn't able to make it that day for some reason. It will all work out in the end, good luck with planning!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    P.S. If it makes you feel any better, I contacted a photographer with an awesome website & within our budget, only to find out she was already booked haha. It happens!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Because of all the good things you girls said about DJ Melee I was anxious to meet with him even though my wedding isn't until next Sept.  We met with him last night and he was just as great as everyone said.  We booked him on the spot!!!! Thanks for all your help!
  • ashia1213ashia1213 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
      Im trying to book with Dj melee and he seems to be avoiding my calls and emails. Is he usually hard to find?? Should I just give up and look else where...=(
  • juji32juji32 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_connecticut_dj-melee-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:65Discussion:c9aa85b1-0e34-4372-a319-cf49b1d4eb15Post:efd8dbc6-5758-4085-92c6-59aa211cf9da">Re: DJ MELEE</a>:
    [QUOTE]  Im trying to book with Dj melee and he seems to be avoiding my calls and emails. Is he usually hard to find?? Should I just give up and look else where...=(
    Posted by ashia1213[/QUOTE]

It took about 3 days for him to get back to us at first. He said he had been out of town and I guess he wasn't checking his email. After that he has been very quick to respond, but I haven't talked with him recenlty. Are you sure you have the right DJ Melee? You want <a href="http://musicbymelee.com/" rel='nofollow'>http://musicbymelee.com/</a> not <a href="http://djmelee.com/" rel='nofollow'>http://djmelee.com/</a> I accidenly emailed the guy at djmelee.com, who's name also happens to be Jay, and he was not very nice about the mix up. If it's him you're emailing, I can see him ignoring you.
  • ashia1213ashia1213 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

its def him, cuz i've been emailing him by reply from his previous emails. He just doesnt respond back to my emails. Thats fine I booked with someone else who seems more interested in having a job.  We went with Dougie Jams Production, DougieJams.com  he was local and we liked him the minute we met =)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards