• Images
  • Text
  • Find a Couple + Registry
GO
September 2011 Weddings

OK I officially hate the Duggars

I havent really felt strongly about them until today when it was released that they had pictures of the fetus at memorial service.
This should be a private matter for the family to deal with the loss.
This is a publicity stunt and a circus. I am disgusted. I have never watched the show and I now refuse to.
The pictures are on TMZ if anyone wants to see.
rA Anniversary
Follow Me on Pinterest
100 books in 2012 - progress 35/100 my read shelf:
Missy's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)

Re: OK I officially hate the Duggars

• Wow. I agree, that is so private. It makes me very sad.
    imageAnniversary
  • I know people grieve in different ways, but that's just disturbing.
    PitaPata Cat tickers Anniversary
  • While I don't think the family should have opened to service to as many people as they did, it is not uncommon for people to take/keep pictures of children who die inutero. My sister has pictures of my stillborn nephew. The pictures were taken by some as*hole at the service and given to the shiitshow known as TMZ.

Also, the pictures don't show the entire baby, only the feet (between Michelle or Jim Bob's fingers) and one hand "holding" Michelle's finger.

I seriously doubt the family decided to leak photos of Jubilee for publicity. Compared to other reality-tv families (Kate Plus 8 or Tots & Tiaras, anyone), the Duggars are very grounded and relatively normal.

imageAnniversary
  • I don't really have much of an opinion on this, as I have no experience with this stuff... But I do find this disgusting {just to add to an "ew" thread :P }
  • And the Duggars were posing around casket smiling...it screams for attention and leaves a bitter taste in my mouth. FTR I get keeping \ taking pics of unborn fetus, to keep as private.
    rA Anniversary
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Missy's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_september-2011-weddings_ok-officially-hate-duggars?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:649Discussion:0178a3e6-5280-4f33-a28b-8d7ef62d3a18Post:e80a7c71-f0ee-4090-b09c-63f40076522d">Re: OK I officially hate the Duggars</a>:
    [QUOTE]Ok, That's just SICK to use the death of their child to get more publicity, etc.<strong>I felt like Michelle got pregnant again cuz they were hoping to get signed back onto TV</strong> and now I feel like they're just using the attention from the miscarriage to get back onto TV. You don't hear them talking about WHY they thought she miscarried, when it was such a big deal to them the last time that she miscarried that they completely changed their way of life. No, you just see them being attention whores. They make me sick.
    Posted by LoveMuffins[/QUOTE]

Why is it so difficult to believe that they <em>truly</em> believe in leaving the number of children they have to God? The majority of Americans may not agree with that decision, but it doesn't make their decision invalid. People are fascinated enough with their lives to keep taping the show for a while, they didn't need another pregnancy.

The Duggar's believe that the show is the best way their family can show their faith to others in hopes of leading people to Christ. They have continuously stated that the shows sole purpose is to witness to their faith. I think that can be proven by the fact that they haven't use the money from the show in extravagant ways. They still live debt free, in a house <em>the family</em>built with their own hands, with thrift-store clothes, used vehicles and Aldi groceries.

I have followed the Duggars since the original special on the family aired in 2004, and it drives me crazy when people (who haven't watched more than 10 minutes of an episode) make allegations and say they <em>know the true intentions</em> of the family. Everything I say about them has come from listening/reading to Jim Bob and Michelle directly, not second and third hand "knowledge" about what a "reliable source" has said about the family.

Here is a quote from an article about the memorial service:

<em>The Duggars also contacted the nonprofit organization </em><a href="http://<a href=">www.nowilaymedowntosleep.org/</a>" target="_blank"><font color="#067ab4"><em>Now I Lay Me Down To Sleep</em></font></a><em>, which helps families deal with the miscarriage and loss of their babies, to take photos the family could keep and use at the memorial service.<strong> </strong>Some of those photos have been released<strong> without Jim Bob and Michelle's consent</strong>, according to a spokesperson for the family, </em><strong><em>and were intended for private use only.

</em></strong>I refuse to be so jaded and cynical that I believe every person on television has ill intent and ulterior motives.

Muffins, I wasn't directing this at you, even though I quoted your response.
    imageAnniversary
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_september-2011-weddings_ok-officially-hate-duggars?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:649Discussion:0178a3e6-5280-4f33-a28b-8d7ef62d3a18Post:b3f47fd1-d6f9-4216-998c-bb4f4e8c4573">Re: OK I officially hate the Duggars</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't really have much of an opinion on this, as I have no experience with this stuff... But I do find this disgusting {just to add to an "ew" thread :P } <a href="http://gawker.com/5868458/high-schools-incest-prank-is-years-dumbest-grossest-idea" rel='nofollow'>http://gawker.com/5868458/high-schools-incest-prank-is-years-dumbest-grossest-idea</a>
    Posted by firsttimersluck[/QUOTE]

That's nasty!  I'm sure the kids would be dumb enough to come up with an idea like that, but the fact that the parents actually went along with it?!  I'm skeeved out.
    PitaPata Cat tickers Anniversary
  • I have to agree with Rocker. Honestly, they don't seem like the kind of family who would do this for publicity. I know I don't know them from Adam, but they just don't strike me that way. I don't agree at all with her continuing to get pregnant, but that's their choice to make, not mine.
    imageimage
  • What parent would agree to that?? what is wrong w ppl?
    rA Anniversary
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I think it stinks their photos were leaked to the media, I think the media is out of control with the reality stars personally.

I do however find it in bad taste to have the morning process be public. I would hope they did it with good intentions but you know what they say about the road to hell(not that they are going there by any means, just the figure of speech).

I find the Duggers interesting, their lifestyle is different than a lot of people, however it's not my personal taste. They seem very nice though. But I think they might have taken this one too far.
    Sept 11, April Siggy, HM Picture!!
    On a Boat, with our Flippy-Floppies!
    Anniversary
    Want to see my Bio? PM Me!!
    Wifey Shenanigans & Day Zero
  • Ok, Anna's link = disturbing and gross. Wtf is wrong with people.

As for the Duggars... I repeat, WTF is wrong with people. I've always thought they were publicity hounds and it bothers me. Sure, they come off grounded, etc on their TV show, but they've driven their views more and more to the extreme since GETTING the TV show, which makes me feel like they became more extreme in order to stay on TV, and then the whole B.S. around releasing the photos pisses me off even more. It's not that they had the photos taken, that's totallly normal, it's releasing them and opening the funeral to the public.

That's just SICK to use the death of their child to get more publicity, etc. I felt like Michelle got pregnant again cuz they were hoping to get signed back onto TV and now I feel like they're just using the attention from the miscarriage to get back onto TV. You don't hear them talking about WHY they thought she miscarried, when it was such a big deal to them the last time that she miscarried that they completely changed their way of life. No, you just see them being attention whores.

They make me sick.
    Rocking the Dress with my Bestie
    Vacation
    Married Bio
    Day Zero / Blog
  • edited December 2011
    Its impossible for me to follow along with this convo since TK is all wonky, but I politely disgree with those that think the Duggars arent attention seekers.  I will freely admit that I dont watch them.  Their lifestyle doesnt really concern me one way or the other.

I had my thoughts about the 20th child, but the fact that there were pictures passed around and leaked to the media - makes me sick.  Maybe the media is too blame for all the scrutiny and every single detail told about this particular ordeal. 

BUT if I was a member of that family, I would have kept it to - just my family - and forbid any media outlets - because this should have been private NOT leaked to the public.

This miscarriage should have been handled the same way the first one was, with the public knowing no more than the sad fact that a miscarriage happened.
    rA Anniversary
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • It's ok Rocker, I didn't take it personally =) And I get your point of view. I just don't agree with it for them. I don't think they had the first batch of kids for TV, but by now... yeah. I think they were just having them for TV. And Michelle drives me up the wall with the lack of taking care of herself by giving herself enough rest between pregnancies. She and Jim-bob are a terrible example for people in that way - she's run her body absolutely ragged by popping out kid after kid, sometimes with only FOUR MONTHS between birth and conception.

With the amount of kids they have and the regularity of her pregnancies, I think that they're using the counting method so that they can make sure she's getting preggo. I don't think they're leaving it up to God. If you notice, their married kids aren't popping kids out with that regularity, and I'm pretty sure it's because they never got the education on how to get pregnant that Michelle & Jim-bob did, because Michelle and Jim-bob were not raised with the sheltered education that they've given their children.

I didn't use to be cynical about them, I used to feel like you, but the longer they were on TV and the more information that came out about them, the more I feel that way. I'm glad that not all of the images were released by them, that's good to know and it makes me dislike them a weeeee bit less. But I don't like them for a lot of reasons, and it's all to do with things that they've said themselves or have up on their website, or their own actions.

at this point, I've gone  back to ignoring them unless they're shoved in my face because they make me angry. Btw, I should elaborate, not the kids... it's not their fault, they don't know any better and their parents have kept it that way. But Jim-bob and Michelle infuriate me.
    Rocking the Dress with my Bestie
    Vacation
    Married Bio
    Day Zero / Blog
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_september-2011-weddings_ok-officially-hate-duggars?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:649Discussion:0178a3e6-5280-4f33-a28b-8d7ef62d3a18Post:16cf432e-816b-425d-8801-18c274a0c6a7">Re: OK I officially hate the Duggars</a>:
    [QUOTE]I have to agree with Rocker. Honestly, they don't seem like the kind of family who would do this for publicity. I know I don't know them from Adam, but they just don't strike me that way. I don't agree at all with her continuing to get pregnant, but that's their choice to make, not mine.
    Posted by nhahn2206[/QUOTE]

I agree with this, all of this.  Now, the Gosselin's for for sure AW's.  Especially Kate, and I knew that from the minute I watched the first episode of Jon and Kate plus 8. But, I just don't get that feel with the Duggars.  Ultimately it is her choice and even before the show come out she still had 16 or 17 children without the "fame" of being on tv.  She'd been doing this type of lifestyle way before being on television. I don't believe being on tv would have made a difference and I believe she would still have 19 children. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards