Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Borrowing a Dress

A good friend of mine is borrowing the dress I wore to my wedding. A year ago, when I agreed to lend it to her, I did so partly because she told me it would be so special because of our friendship, and she was happy to be wearing a dress that has personal significance. Today, just two weeks before her wedding, (which I am showing up for a week early to help her organize and get ready for), she emailed me and asked if I would not say anything about the dress being mine because she told her family she had bought it.  I wasn't even planning on saying anything in the first place, but why would she want to spin this lie, and then ask me to go along with it? Am I out of line for being miffed about this?

Re: Borrowing a Dress

• Options
    I don't see why this should bother you.
  • Options
    A little bit.  You didn't give her conditions on which she could borrow the dress so I would just go along with it for her.
    ttc chart
    BFP 8/01/12, EDD 04/10/12, mm/c @ 6wks, discovered at 8wks, D&C 9/05/12
  • Options
    If you are expecting your dress back after the wedding, then I would just remind her of that. It would suck if her family thought she had bought the dress and then made their own plans for it post-wedding.
  • Options
    She's self conscious about the fact that she's borrowing a dress and not buying one, hence the lie. That's a guess, anyway. Just go along with it to spare her feelings. It really shouldn't matter to you.
    Whatever you hatters be hattin. -Tay Prince
  • Options
    I was going to wear my SIL's wedding gown and had no plans to tell anyone that I hadn't bought it. I wasn't ashamed really; I just didn't need my SIL going around telling everyone it was her dress.

Nothing to get worked up over.
    (Married)meganandshane.weebly.com~
    (Planning)shaneandmegan.weebly.com
  • Options
    I understand you feeling miffed:  she had told you she wanted to wear your dress because it was special to her, and now that she is hiding the fact that it is yours makes it feel a lot less special and important.

But, I still wouldn't say anything.  Were you making a toast or speech at the RD or wedding and including the fact that you were so honored that she's wearing your dress?  You might want to talk to her about it on the phone or in person before hand, maybe she's just being week before the wedding crazy.
  • Options
    Maybe she's just embarassed?
    160 image 129 image 31image 0image RSVPs are all in!
  • Options
    Yeah, I'm on the pride bandwagon.  She might be embarrassed.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_borrowing-dress?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:271aad4e-5fb5-4152-84c4-0fbc5d1be057Post:c6f658b1-ce85-494a-ae3d-bb8f78648db0">Borrowing a Dress</a>:
    [QUOTE]A good friend of mine is borrowing the dress I wore to my wedding. A year ago, when I agreed to lend it to her, I did so partly because she told me it would be so special because of our friendship, and she was happy to be wearing a dress that has personal significance. Today, just two weeks before her wedding, (which I am showing up for a week early to help her organize and get ready for), she emailed me and asked if I would not say anything about the dress being mine because she told her family she had bought it.  I wasn't even planning on saying anything in the first place, <strong>but why would she want to spin this lie, and then ask me to go along with it?</strong> Am I out of line for being miffed about this?
    Posted by stephaniesheridan[/QUOTE]

She's not asking you to help bury a body and then lie to the cops about it. Just because she's not telling people it's your dress may not make it any less special for her. Like other pps have stated she's most likely a bit self conscious about it. I would just let her tell her white lie and not think about it too much. I'm sure she really appreciates you loaning her the gown.
  • Options
    I agree with PPs - I think she's mostly just a little embarassed.  I can see why you're a little miffed, but try not to make a big deal about this. 
    panther
  • Options
    salt78salt78 member
    First Comment
    I wouldn't be miffed, but your friend sounds a little shady.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    I wouldn't be miffed, but I'd have a bit of the WTFs going on. If it was so important to her to borrow YOUR dress because of your great friendship, then she should have no reason to hide it.

Sounds like she spun a bit of a tale to get you to loan her the dress.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_borrowing-dress?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:271aad4e-5fb5-4152-84c4-0fbc5d1be057Post:a8b7b7c8-b4fe-467e-8698-a45d8a4e5ebb">Re: Borrowing a Dress</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Borrowing a Dress : She's not asking you to help bury a body and then lie to the cops about it. Just because she's not telling people it's your dress may not make it any less special for her. Like other pps have stated she's most likely a bit self conscious about it. I would just let her tell her white lie and not think about it too much. I'm sure she really appreciates you loaning her the gown.
    Posted by L-Bride[/QUOTE]

I get that it is not the biggest lie in the world, but I was already planning on keeping quiet about it. I feel like it's a big enough favor to loan her the dress, but I think she's asking a lot if she wants me to lie about where it came from. And it's especially weird to me, since I am an up-front person and a terrible liar to begin with.
  • Options

Yeah, I get it's a bit odd to lie about but it's not completely crazy that she wouldn't want people to know. Just try not to say anything....just lie by omission and change the subject if it comes up. If it's still bothering you after the wedding you can say something to her about you not being comfortable lying about where the dress came from. But until then I would go along with it. GL.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_borrowing-dress?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:271aad4e-5fb5-4152-84c4-0fbc5d1be057Post:2fd854dd-73cd-4a60-af6c-0308f9d376c8">Re: Borrowing a Dress</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Borrowing a Dress : Do you expect a lot of people to be asking you, "where did the bride get her dress?" Sounds like you wanted to do a little AWing that she was wearing your dress.
    Posted by ILoveMilkDuds[/QUOTE]

Actually, I am expecting people to ask me that, since the story she told everyone was that I found it, sent her a picture, and ordered it so it could be sent to her. We live 600 miles apart, so I guess she was explaining why she didn't get it locally.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_borrowing-dress?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:271aad4e-5fb5-4152-84c4-0fbc5d1be057Post:38e6729e-f9bc-4ba8-9dae-35dfd4d67912">Re: Borrowing a Dress</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Borrowing a Dress : Actually, I am expecting people to ask me that, since the story she told everyone was that I found it, sent her a picture, and ordered it so it could be sent to her. We live 600 miles apart, so I guess she was explaining why she didn't get it locally.
    Posted by stephaniesheridan[/QUOTE]

Well it sounds like she already explained everything so I don't think you'll have any questions.
    ttc chart
    BFP 8/01/12, EDD 04/10/12, mm/c @ 6wks, discovered at 8wks, D&C 9/05/12
  • Options
    Let's hope!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards