Not Engaged Yet

In the news lately..( rant/soapbox)

There seems to be a very disturbing number of child deaths in the news. I know that it isn't "new" , unfiortunately but I just don't understand some of the atrocities affecting these innocent victims. The latest is a child killed over taking a POPSICLE from a freezer without permission - who was also living with TWELVE other kids. The child was locked in a closet or trunk as punishment among other things that turn my stomach. I don't know it it's my infertility issues that gets me so emotional over these things or just my compassionate nature or both , but it really truly makes me sad and I don't believe anyone deserves thias treatment , child or adult - though I do wish the guilty parties would have to suffer in the same manner.

As much as I want my own kids naturally , I can't help but feel like there are so many kids already without homes from all ages that need a home just as much but I also know not everyone can do adoption whether for personal or financial reasons. However what does bother me  , and this will sound backwards to several I am sure , that if you can naturally have kids without outside assistance there is no red tape to go through unlike adoption where your whole life is put under a microscope - at least under any reputable agency - and I have no issue with that in itself , but why does it take something to happen or a death for someone to take notice of everything. It feels like sometimes a double standard - that just because my body or someone else's dosent work normally I know there are many MORE good foster and adoptive and naturall birth parents out there that are a blessing to so many lives. It just makes me sad because it isn't a crime to not want kids - at least give them a chance they deserve before it's too late.

Just thoughts on my mind late at night
Photobucket Anniversary www.MyVacationCountdown.com Ticker LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Re: In the news lately..( rant/soapbox)

• bethsmilesbethsmiles member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    I hate stories about child abuse. It just makes me feel sick that people could treat CHILDREN that way. My brother had a good friend who was put through horrible abuse until one day a teacher at school noticed he was bleeding through his shirt and made him go to the nurse. His father, in a drunken rage, and craved 'stupid' into his stomach. I still get a little teary just thinking about what that boy went through. He was in high school before any one noticed (or bothered to ask questions). Thankfully he lives with his wonderful grandparents now and his father is in jail but still when I think of all the years of abuse he went through...it makes me so angry!

The stories about children in bad foster homes makes me want to be a foster parent one day. I feel like there is more I should be doing, more everyone should be doing to prevent child abuse but I don't know what I can do :(

• Simply FatedSimply Fated member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    *claps*
    That was a good rant.
  • MissTheFrog84MissTheFrog84 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    These stories break my heart when I see them on the news.  I am not sure if I will have fertility issues or not, I've been on and off birth control since I was 18.  But anyways, if I can't have my own I'll adopt and/or do foster care.  

What did you ladies think of the Casey Anthony trial?  I do not know all the details so I am not going to form an opinion on it.  Although I will say I think it is more than messed up that she did not report her child missing for so long.  

This is starting to sound like a rant I'm sorry, but it really does drive me crazy when I see these parents who act like they can't be bothered to care for their children properly then you have people who want them and have difficulties having them.  It doesn't seem right.  
  • SopChickSopChick member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    Obviously it would violate all sorts of rights and freedoms, but there are many times that I have thought it should be more difficult for some people to have children. As my dad has always said, it's just about the only thing two idiots fumbling in the dark can accomplish! But seriously, it breaks my heart to hear stories like that. Or when I hear stories about pregnant women who don't take care of themselves - smoking, drinking, drugs, etc.
    Canada Cat Pictures, Images and Photos
  • polkadot111polkadot111 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm a social work nerd, and so this obviously makes me pretty upset. I don't see how someone can do this to a child. It's sickening.
    Used to be bourgehm. +1,500 posts. Silly knot
  • AudgiePodgeAudgiePodge member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    It's upsetting to hear about child abuse. It especially makes me rage if I hear about a child being abused in the same manner as DD was.
    I'm not good at feelings.

• ravenrayravenray member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011

Child Abuse is so sickening and disheartening.  As an abused child myself it makes me so unhappy to hear that other child have suffered.
    I also struggle with knowing how many people go unreported.  :/

"Love is not affectionate feeling, but a steady wish for the loved person's ultimate good as far as it can be obtained"-C.S. Lewis

Married! May 27th, 2012

• edited December 2011
    I just don't understand how someone can abuse a child. There's so much evil in this world. I have half joked before that you should have to automatically get your tubes tied or something when you're born and then have to take a test to get it reversed when you want kids. There are way too many people out there with kids that should NOT be parents. Like Tafft said it really sucks that there's some people that have no trouble conceiving and they don't deserve children and then there's people that aren't able to have kids naturally but want them so badly and have to go through so much crap to have a kid whether it be IVF or adoption.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards