African American Weddings

Why did I get married?

Please do tell..why did you and your FI or DH decide to get married!! Im a hopeless romantic as you can tell. I love hearing love stories.
Photobucket

Re: Why did I get married?

• edited December 2011
    well i love him from the first i met him he was kind and sweet n i feel he is the 1 as he lets me be me and that is a hard task plus i have always wanted to be ,married have 2.5 kids dog ect n he loves me flaws and all
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • island07b2bisland07b2b member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Actually my FH did not want to ever marry again after his first marriage.  It is one of the reasons it has taken us all these years to get to this point.  He was emotionally very scarred and needed time to deal with the failure of his marriage.  He is the type that wanted to marry only once and believed it should last forever. 

He put me through some tests.  He wouldn't admit but I knew it.  It hurt like hayle because I always felt he wasn't seeing me for me.  I wasn't his ex-wife and I told him so but as much as I told him that it didn't matter.  Until he felt it in his heart, marriage wasn't in the cards for us.  All I could do was pray on it because I knew without a doubt that we were going to be man and wife some day. 

So we went through many ups and downs, breakups, etc.  We had planned to marry in 2006 and then again in 2008 but it didn't happen.  Honestly, I can tell you I had my days of serious doubt and just wanted to give up but God wouldn't let me.  I prayed to God to bring another man into my life if the one I was with was not for me and nothing ya'll.   I was stuck with the one I was with.  LOL!  Still I walked away and told him, he needed to let me go because I wanted marriage and nothing else with him would work.  I was determined to not call him and make this the last and final breakup.  If we were meant to be, he would have to come after me and that is when I would know that he was ready and wanted me.  After two months apart, he called and here we are now.

He told me he knew I was the one and that I had always been there for him; that I was a good woman and he simply loved me way too much not to make me his wife.  His whole demeanor and attitude has changed and it is wonderful.  I love this man with all of my heart.  He is a wonderful person, very caring, hard working, funny, sexy; everything I wanted in a man.   We love and appreciate each other's perfections and imperfections.  We are simply made for each other.  That's why we are getting married.

Love is the ultimate superpower.   
    It can make you weak and strong simultaneously.  

• edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_did-married-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:400Discussion:09d6abcf-e99e-4451-a001-b496aa3523e4Post:b57913e6-1c09-41be-80f5-518e39ef97fd">Re: Why did I get married?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Actually my FH did not want to ever marry again after his first marriage.  It is one of the reasons it has taken us all these years to get to this point.  He was emotionally very scarred and needed time to deal with the failure of his marriage.  He is the type that wanted to marry only once and believed it should last forever.  He put me through some tests.  He wouldn't admit but I knew it.  It hurt like hayle because I always felt he wasn't seeing me for me.  I wasn't his ex-wife and I told him so but as much as I told him that it didn't matter.  Until he felt it in his heart, marriage wasn't in the cards for us.  All I could do was pray on it because I knew without a doubt that we were going to be man and wife some day.  So we went through many ups and downs, breakups, etc.  We had planned to marry in 2006 and then again in 2008 but it didn't happen.  Honestly, I can tell you I had my days of serious doubt and just wanted to give up but God wouldn't let me.  I prayed to God to bring another man into my life if the one I was with was not for me and nothing ya'll.   I was stuck with the one I was with.  LOL!  Still I walked away and told him, he needed to let me go because I wanted marriage and nothing else with him would work.  I was determined to not call him and make this the last and final breakup.  If we were meant to be, he would have to come after me and that is when I would know that he was ready and wanted me.  After two months apart, he called and here we are now. He told me he knew I was the one and that I had always been there for him; that I was a good woman and he simply loved me way too much not to make me his wife.  His whole demeanor and attitude has changed and it is wonderful.  I love this man with all of my heart.  He is a wonderful person, very caring, hard working, funny, sexy; everything I wanted in a man.   We love and appreciate each other's perfections and imperfections.  We are simply made for each other.  That's why we are getting married.
    Posted by island07b2b[/QUOTE]
    I love ur story so good to read
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_did-married-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:400Discussion:09d6abcf-e99e-4451-a001-b496aa3523e4Post:52dd21d5-eb50-436d-b427-7386db4f1f8a">Re: Why did I get married?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Why did I get married? : I love ur story so good to read
    Posted by Kedeisha8[/QUOTE]

Ditto!  God always has a plan.  It's so awesome when we can look back and see what He was doing cause when you are in the mist of it you can't see nothing. LOL 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • edited December 2011

island07b2b- What a beautiful story! You guys are destined to be together.

I have dealt with low self esteem since battling a terrible skin disease all through junior high. It affected my appearance back then and it is 100% better now, at times flaring up here and there(my skin). But my esteem is not and probably never will be 100% again. Through the times when i have episodes with the skin disease, he never seems to care and loves me for me and I feel beautiful around him. All my flaws within myself, ive found someone who loves them! Also he is like the male version of myself. We love to laugh, travel, be big kids(play video games, watching cartoons, yes we still do that...lol), love love love having fun and both have the sweetest families. We support each other and we both have goals in life and are hard workers.
    Marriage just seemed to be our destiny because sometimes it seems as if we were made for each other!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_did-married-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:400Discussion:09d6abcf-e99e-4451-a001-b496aa3523e4Post:b57913e6-1c09-41be-80f5-518e39ef97fd">Re: Why did I get married?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Actually my FH did not want to ever marry again after his first marriage.  It is one of the reasons it has taken us all these years to get to this point.  He was emotionally very scarred and needed time to deal with the failure of his marriage.  He is the type that wanted to marry only once and believed it should last forever.  He put me through some tests.  He wouldn't admit but I knew it.  It hurt like hayle because I always felt he wasn't seeing me for me.  I wasn't his ex-wife and I told him so but as much as I told him that it didn't matter.  Until he felt it in his heart, marriage wasn't in the cards for us.  All I could do was pray on it because I knew without a doubt that we were going to be man and wife some day.  So we went through many ups and downs, breakups, etc.  We had planned to marry in 2006 and then again in 2008 but it didn't happen.  Honestly, I can tell you I had my days of serious doubt and just wanted to give up but God wouldn't let me.  I prayed to God to bring another man into my life if the one I was with was not for me and nothing ya'll.   I was stuck with the one I was with.  LOL!  Still I walked away and told him, he needed to let me go because I wanted marriage and nothing else with him would work.  I was determined to not call him and make this the last and final breakup.  If we were meant to be, he would have to come after me and that is when I would know that he was ready and wanted me.  After two months apart, he called and here we are now. He told me he knew I was the one and that I had always been there for him; that I was a good woman and he simply loved me way too much not to make me his wife.  His whole demeanor and attitude has changed and it is wonderful.  I love this man with all of my heart.  He is a wonderful person, very caring, hard working, funny, sexy; everything I wanted in a man.   We love and appreciate each other's perfections and imperfections.  We are simply made for each other.  That's why we are getting married.

Such a good love story.
    Photobucket

• edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_did-married-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:400Discussion:09d6abcf-e99e-4451-a001-b496aa3523e4Post:34b256a1-f160-4a04-a092-4477f0d15cc8">Re: Why did I get married?</a>:
    [QUOTE]island07b2b- What a beautiful story! You guys are destined to be together.   I have dealt with low self esteem since battling a terrible skin disease all through junior high. It affected my appearance back then and it is 100% better now, at times flaring up here and there(my skin). But my esteem is not and probably never will be 100% again. Through the times when i have episodes with the skin disease, he never seems to care and loves me for me and I feel beautiful around him. All my flaws within myself, ive found someone who loves them! Also he is like the male version of myself. We love to laugh, travel, be big kids(play video games, watching cartoons, yes we still do that...lol), love love love having fun and both have the sweetest families. We support each other and we both have goals in life and are hard workers. Marriage just seemed to be our destiny because sometimes it seems as if we were made for each other!
    Posted by japonica334[/QUOTE]

Girl your husband loves you for your perfections and imperfections thats how you know he is the one
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    edited December 2011
    Thank you ladies.  Believe it or not that was the truncated version.  It's been a long road, that's all I can say.

@japonica - True love is all about accepting one for who they are inside and out.  The outside is temporary. The inside lasts forever.  That goes for both loving ourselves and loving others.  You are not your skin but your heart and your DH/FH knows that.  That's true love. 

• edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_did-married-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:400Discussion:09d6abcf-e99e-4451-a001-b496aa3523e4Post:c1b45271-4fb0-4a24-96cc-bf7a502dd978">Re: Why did I get married?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thank you ladies.  Believe it or not that was the truncated version.  It's been a long road, that's all I can say. @japonica - True love is all about accepting one for who they are inside and out.  The outside is temporary. The inside lasts forever.  That goes for both loving ourselves and loving others.  You are not your skin but your heart and your DH/FH knows that.  That's true love. 

Preach!!!
    Photobucket

• edited December 2011

Sooo true ladies!Laughing

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Once my FI and I started dating, we spent a lot of time together. That was really unusual for me.  I had been a serial dater for years and was really comfortable hiding behind my busy work schedule.  Once I met FI, all of that changed.  

About 2 months into dating, he told me he was going out of town for like 1.5 days.  I told him to have a nice trip, but in my head I was freaking out.  I had no idea what I was supposed to do while he was out of town.  He called me when he returned from his trip and invited me to dinner.  When I saw him that night, I knew that I didn't want to be without him. I went from being the girl who would tell guys I could schedule a date 3 weeks from now to the girl who didn't want to be apart from someone for even 36 hours.  

Anniversary
  • edited December 2011

My FI and I have gone through so much together in the last 4 years.  We went through a really hard time financially about 2 1/2 years ago. I was pregnant , he had gotten laid off from work. We were in this this tiny efficentcy apartment and the lights had gotten cut off one wednesday.. We wouldnt have the money to pay it until Friday.  I tell you, you really get to know your partner when you are BROKE.  I saw how he took everything in stride, did his best to calm me down and make it okay. There is nothing in this world like paying Monopoly by candle light with someone.  Laughing
    I knew at that moment, when someone can stick beside you and you can stick beside them at the poorest of moments, you can make it through so much.  The following week, he got hired at the place he currently is.  There have been times where he has worked 12 plus hours a day 6 days a week to make sure his family is provided for.  And i love him  with everything within me because of that. 
    Im a very difficult person at times. He knows all of my flaws and still sticks at my side.  It doesnt get no better. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker When you are in love you cant fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams. ~ Dr Seuss
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_did-married-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:400Discussion:09d6abcf-e99e-4451-a001-b496aa3523e4Post:0dfab599-7ddb-4f1a-99ec-482e3193c2b8">Re: Why did I get married?</a>:
    [QUOTE]My FI and I have gone through so much together in the last 4 years.  We went through a really hard time financially about 2 1/2 years ago. I was pregnant , he had gotten laid off from work. We were in this this tiny efficentcy apartment and the lights had gotten cut off one wednesday.. We wouldnt have the money to pay it until Friday.  I tell you, you really get to know your partner when you are BROKE.  I saw how he took everything in stride, did his best to calm me down and make it okay. There is nothing in this world like paying Monopoly by candle light with someone.  I knew at that moment, when someone can stick beside you and you can stick beside them at the poorest of moments, you can make it through so much.  The following week, he got hired at the place he currently is.  There have been times where he has worked 12 plus hours a day 6 days a week to make sure his family is provided for.  And i love him  with everything within me because of that.  Im a very difficult person at times. He knows all of my flaws and still sticks at my side.  It doesnt get no better. 
    Posted by Baesmom[/QUOTE]

Through thick and thin that's what being totally committed is all about.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards