Wedding Reception Forum

Head Table Seating

I need some advice on head table seating...

I do not wish to do the traditional seating with all of the bridal party at the head table, in fact, I want only 4 of 6 from one side (men) and 3 of my maids, plus a close cousin I wasn't able to include in the bridal party.  Essentially,  Iwant to have some of the bridal party sit with family
and some sit with us...  What do you think??

Re: Head Table Seating

• I think that this would be uncomfortable for those in your party who were not sitting at the head table, almost like you have your favorites sitting with you, while the others are sitting in the crowd. Put them all at the head table. Why are they in your party if they are not special enough to be seated with you?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker edited
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_head-table-seating-5?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:5197022a-49ed-466d-ae1c-e10c5ad9b8b9Post:03c3203b-5de5-443f-81f6-31ba494687b9">Head Table Seating</a>:
    [QUOTE]I need some advice on head table seating... I do not wish to do the traditional seating with all of the bridal party at the head table, in fact, I want only 4 of 6 from one side (men) and 3 of my maids, plus a close cousin I wasn't able to include in the bridal party.  Essentially,  Iwant to have some of the bridal party sit with family and some sit with us...  What do you think??
    Posted by PRNCSS2003[/QUOTE]

I think you should nix the head table all together and let your WP sit with the guests.  Head tables are rude enough but what you are planning on doing (picking and choosing who in the WP sits there and those not deemed good enough are replaced with guests) is over the top rude.
    Proud to be an old married hag!! image
  • edited June 2012
    I would not have a head table.  Sit at a regular round table with the people you want (and their SOs), and put the rest of your bridal party at tables with their friends/families.  

ETA: I think the difference between a round table and the head table is that it will be clear that only a certain number of people could fit at the round, whereas with the head table, it will be a deliberate exclusion.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_head-table-seating-5?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:5197022a-49ed-466d-ae1c-e10c5ad9b8b9Post:e35ab4c9-44cf-4318-8649-0616ad8b3d7a">Re: Head Table Seating</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Head Table Seating : I think you should nix the head table all together and let your WP sit with the guests.  Head tables are rude enough but what you are planning on doing (picking and choosing who in the WP sits there and those not deemed good enough are replaced with guests) is over the top rude.
    Posted by GoodLuckBear14[/QUOTE]

<div>This.  Do a round table and seat yourselves with those you want to sit with - your parents and siblings, your honor attendants and their dates, etc.  But the picking and choosing will go over like a lead balloon.</div><div>
    </div><div>Or, have a sweetheart table.  Or - and this is my favorite option - eat away from everyone else and then get on with the visiting.  I have seen so many brides and grooms barely get to eat, whether it's a head table, sweetheart table, or something else all together, because people bug them all through the meal.</div>
  • I wouldn't do this unless you're saying that those people are your siblings.  Beyond that, you've just created a tier-like system for the wedding party which just won't go over well.

Either sit with all the WP and their SOs or just sit with your husband and seat the WP and their SOs at other tables.
  • You can't pick and choose which BP members sit at the head table,  that would be telling some of them they're not good enough.  Skip the entire thing and have a sweetheart table.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Head tables are problematic for a lot of reasons, which is why a lot of people are choosing not to do them anymore. Unless you can sit your entire WP and their SOs at the head table, then you should skip it and do something else. Sweetheart tables are good, or you could sit at a regular round table with some of your WP. It would be weird, however, if there were non-immediate family-members at your table who WEREN'T in your WP, but WP members were sitting elsewhere. So like, if your friend Sally (not a BM) was at your table but BM Sue was sat somewhere else.
    DSC_9275
  • It's not a good idea to split up your bridal party like that--like PP's said, those that aren't sitting up there with you may feel left out, and your cousin may feel like a second choice. A sweetheart table is a great idea for you in this situation.

(I'm also speaking from personal experience, as I was in a wedding a few years back where I was the only member of the bridal party not sitting at the head table. My mom had been invited to the wedding, so the bride sat me with my mom--it was nice of her on some accounts, but I got tons of questions from others at the wedding as to why I was not sitting with the brial party.  It was awwwkward).
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards