Pennsylvania

Pocono Area questions- I need your help with reception reviews please!

Hi all!
I'm new to this whole thing so i apologize if there's an easier way to find this info.

I live in upstate NY but we're planning a wedding in the poconos area, which is where my mom lives. We visit her there obviously but never venture out too far so i don't know much about or around the area. She lives near Stroudsburg and thats about the only area i know.

Anyway, we were looking into the Shawnee Inn for the ceremony & reception site after going there for Fourth of July this past year. It was really beautiful there and after looking at the prices, it seemed reasonable but again im very new at all this.

My question is, has anyone been to or had a wedding there and what were you opinions? Any reviews?

Also, any great reviewed reception sites in that area under $100/pp would be great recommendations for us to look into more as well!
Thanks!Laughing
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Pocono Area questions- I need your help with reception reviews please!

• edited December 2011
    We got married at Ehrhardt's Waterfront Resort and I honestly can't rave about them enough.  One thing I can say is that it was great being the only wedding there that day -- I believe that at Shawnee there are others (but I could be wrong).  It was under $100 for open bar for 5 hours, hot/cold apps., and 3 stations.  It was a WONDERFUL experience working with them to make it personal and wonderful.  Seriously, I am 100% raves.
  • pinkpinotpinkpinot member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    xlizellx - do you have pictures you could post of your wedding? I've been looking at Ehrhardt's online and will probably schedule a visit. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    My wedding photos are here:  http://www.steveklaverphotos.printroom.com/GHome_main.asp?evgroupid=0&domain_name=steveklaverphotos&group_id=40

Our ceremony was scheduled for 5pm and it started raining at 4:45 -- the inside set up was beautiful too -- many guests said they liked it better than outside because then they were looking at the lake behind us versus it being next to us (although they were probably just saying that to be nice since they thought I was upset).  

We took photos outside before hand and then after dinner when it stopped raining.
  • edited December 2011
    ....Also, if you meet with them, they will change menus for you and be really accomodating -- (ie: we had a vegetarian reception and cupcakes..)
  • pinkpinotpinkpinot member
    edited December 2011
    Thank you! Beautiful wedding!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Play getawayPlay getaway member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    great, thanks for your info!  

Does anyone else have any ceremony & reception reviews they'd like to share or have heard any reviews about weddings at the Shawnee Inn?

Also any great photographer reviews?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    btw, it may sound crazy but i'm not even officially engaged yet.
    I know its coming soon though & b/c of his parents, we dont have a lot of options on dates so we already picked one.

I am just researching now so i am better prepared, narrowed down some choices & hopefully less frazzled when the time comes.
    thanks so much
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    ohh.. and cake people too please.  haha i'm italian, and am use to NYC bakeries so i might be picky but we both love a good dessert when we find one!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Well on a quick side note, I find it funny that you are in upstate NY and planning a wedding in the Poconos.  I live in the Poconos and all my girls are from upstate NY.  We actually thought about having our wedding closer to them. 

Sorry....onto the actual questions.  We looked into Shawnee Inn and I thought it was very nice.  However for budget reasons we didn't go with them.  We are having our wedding at The Chateau at Camelback.  They are a little cheaper.  In the end we decided it was worth it to invite a few more people. 

You can also look into Mount Airy, The Inn at Pocono Manor, Pocmont Resort

Best of luck
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    thanks!

haha, that is funny. Where in the upstate area? We are wayyyy upstate, near Syracuse.

I'm orginally from downstate NY (rockland county area) but moved here for college and just got stuck. My mom moved to the poconos when i was towards the end of college so i stayed there one summer during our first yr, dating but thats it.  Other than that, we just get to visit there during the holidays and a few times in the summer for two days, so we really dont know much at all there. Most we do is go to the stroud mall  and went on a family hike in bushkill falls. 

haha..  sorry, i just posted a new message asking for new rec's anywhere.  It's so hard to search with no idea on where is good at all! 
    thanks for ure help. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • emoran04emoran04 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you are looking for a photog in the NE PA area I would recommend Craig Single with Single Exposure photography. He's from West Chester, PA but he travels to PA for a lot of weddings. He did our wedding and 2 of our friends. We LOVED working with him and his prices were really good.

Good luck in your planning!

Here are our professional wedding photos:
    http://www1.snapfish.com/thumbnailshare/AlbumID=1778456012/a=79669369_79669369/otsc=SHR/otsi=SALBlink/COBRAND_NAME=snapfish/
  • edited December 2011

Our wedding reception was at Mountain Springs Lake Resort in Reeders, PA. I looked at tons and tons of venues , and hands down, this was the nicest place with the best food, service and atmosphere.

• julbgordojulbgordo member
    edited December 2011
    Hi Getaway!

My family has had timeshare at Shawnee for over a decade now.  We've been going July 4th week for the last few years and I've known I wanted to get married there since I was about 12 (when there was ugly green carpet on the veranda instead of the wood lamenant they have now).  My fiance and I just booked our wedding there for June 2012.  We'll be having the ceremony on the veranda and the reception in the pavilion.  It really is a beautiful location.  The wedding coordinator there, Simone, seems nice and accomodating so far.  We've only met her the once as of now.  She can be a bit pushy about her recommendations for vendors - she tried to push us towards this very expensive photographer - but she seems very helpful so far.  The prices appear very reasonable for the location and everything can be done onsite, including the cake if you wish.

We've also met with two really great and very reasonably priced photographers - Lauren Brimhall (laurenbrimhallphotography.com) and Matthew Wright (figtreephotography.com).  Lauren is from the Shawnee area and is somewhat familiar with Shawnee, but has not shot a wedding there yet.  Matt is from Philadelphia but will travel up to the Poconos.

I hope this info helps.  I really do love Shawnee and I think if you do choose it, it will be a beautiful location for your wedding.

Good luck :)
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    thank you all for your help!

Thanks Jul!  I got that vibe from Simone too.  
     As of now we think we've found a place in Scranton.  We love it but I aprreciate all of your help!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • julbgordojulbgordo member
    edited December 2011
    No problem getaway.  I'm sure the location you picked will be perfect :)
    If you're still looking for a photographer, you should check into my recommendations.  We just booked Matt and Lauren seems great to work with as well.  (My fiance really clicked well with Matt and that was our deciding factor - but either/or would have been great).
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards