North Carolina-Outer Banks

Ceremony Time vs Reception Time

So we are in the process of printing the invitations and we hae one BIG question and hope all of you can help out.

We had originally planned for the ceremony to be at 5:00 with cocktails starting at 6:00 at 108 Budleigh, which is about 15 minutes from the beach house that we are getting married at.  The ceremony should only be about 15-20 minutes.  I spoke with our photographer regarding the best time and he said that FI and I's pics would be done last, after the family, bridal party, etc.  and if those pics are really important to us, which they are, then he suggested maybe doing the ceremony at 4:30 so we could have extra time together.  Even though the cocktails don't start until 6:00, they will be laid out at 5:45 since I am sure people will arrive early.

So my question is this:  is 4:30-6:00pm too much time in between for our guests?

P.S.  BBoo may want to strangle me for this since she has already started printing....

Re: Ceremony Time vs Reception Time

• edited December 2011
    Ah, poor mom ;)  I was thinking the same thing.  We were thinking of a 5:00 ceremony and a 6:30pm start time for cocktails.  I will be watching to see others' response who may have been through this.  Oh by the way, OBX, which house are you renting?  You can send it in a PM if you'd prefer.  We are also staying in S. Nags Head, getting married on the beach and traveling to Budleigh :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • JAK33JAK33 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Not too much time in my opinion.  Your invitees will need to make their way to Manteo, hopefully no traffic, and then locate the Budleigh and find a place to park.  This can take some time.  They will also have a few mins to stop by their hotel/house/motel or head to Manteo and explore or grab a drink right there.  I think you are safe with 4:30.  You don't want to feel rushed. 

• OBX2011OBX2011 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011

Thanks ladies....I can take a sigh of relief now and so can BBoo :)

Keb--we are staying at Whitmans' Sampler through Village Realty @ MP 15.  We had some tough criteria to fill and it left our options limited....OF, 8 br's, sun-sun and most importantly, pet friendly.

Which house are you staying at?

• edited December 2011
    Cool  Thats a nice house :).  We are staying at Fearing Cottage through Village Realty also.  That way we'll get the $500 off from renting 108 Budleigh.  We have a ton of family and wedding party though so we are renting an 8BR right across the beach road also.  Our biggest hurdle was to find a good oceanfront house that allows a dog.  Luckily the owners of Fearing Cottage and Budleigh were willing to work with us on that even though their house is listed as not pet friendly.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • obxlaurakobxlaurak member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't think it's too much time.  If it's a really hot day, guests will probably appreciate a few minutes to go back to their rooms and freshen up! 
  • edited December 2011
    yup, I would much rather have more time than less when I am a guest
    Lisa Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • mparwulskimparwulski member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are doing our ceremony at 6:00.  Cocktails from 6:30-7:15 while we are doing our photos.  Dinner to follow.  Disappointed we will miss the killer hors d'oeuvres that guests will be having during the cocktail hour.  But, that's OK.
  • OBX2011OBX2011 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    Keb....we really wanted to staying at Fearing Cottage but it was booked for the week of our wedding, so we thought we would switch the wedding date but then 108 B. was booked for the following Friday.  It's a great house!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards