Wedding Photography and Videography Forum

Okay to Ask for Specific Poses?

I have a few poses that I have collected via the Internet, and from my friends' weddings over the years. I would like the photographer I pick to do some of these poses. Is it okay to specifically ask for some poses to be done, and bring them to my interviews with photographers, or is that not proper etiquette? 

Re: Okay to Ask for Specific Poses?

• I probably wouldn't bring them to the initial interview. They don't really need to know the specifics until you sign with them. A lot of brides give 'must take' lists to their photographers. Some like it, some turn up their noses to it. You can ask during the interview 'would it be ok if I gave you a must take shot list?' and judge their reaction. If they act snotty about it, I'd be careful. Any good photographer wants to cater to your wishes, not just do whatever they feel is best.
  • I disagree with PP.

First, you're paying them. It's business etiquette, and in business, it's totally OK to say exactly what you want.

Second, the photographers we talked to all wanted details up-front. I felt it was ridiculous to ask for our day-of timeline a year before the wedding (and they were fine that we had 0 idea), but they all asked for it, for example. If the photographers are asking for details, you can ask about your own details.

Finally, this may be moot. The poses may be in the portfolios you review at the meetings. Then you point to the photographer's own work and say, "I really like this. Please make sure you do that for us, too." No need to bring out someone else's work.

oops. Post-finally. Are these poses all of one kind of photography? Artsy? Photo-journalistic? Very traditional posed? We didn't have unusual specific poses we wanted, but we did know the formal, posed portraits were more important than those "details" shots popular right now. It may be more helpful to discuss a general style of photography you prefer, than a handful of specific poses.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_photos-video_okay-to-ask-for-specific-poses?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:30Discussion:83371edd-4bd5-40c2-9373-036266529881Post:caabd7aa-72b6-4605-8de2-d92e3a146b14">Re: Okay to Ask for Specific Poses?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I disagree with PP. First, you're paying them. <strong>It's business etiquette, and in business, it's totally OK to say exactly what you want. </strong>Second, the photographers we talked to all wanted details up-front. I felt it was ridiculous to ask for our day-of timeline a year before the wedding (and they were fine that we had 0 idea), but they all asked for it, for example. If the photographers are asking for details, you can ask about your own details. Finally, this may be moot. The poses may be in the portfolios you review at the meetings. Then you point to the photographer's own work and say, "I really like this. Please make sure you do that for us, too." No need to bring out someone else's work. oops. Post-finally. Are these poses all of one kind of photography? Artsy? Photo-journalistic? Very traditional posed? We didn't have unusual specific poses we wanted, but we did know the formal, posed portraits were more important than those "details" shots popular right now. It may be more helpful to discuss a general style of photography you prefer, than a handful of specific poses.
    Posted by ElisabethJoanne[/QUOTE]
    Of course, which is why I mentioned telling them that you had a list of photos you wanted. But do you really need to discuss every single shot that you want at the initial meeting, when you haven't even signed with them yet? You'll have to talk about it again because as the date gets closer, you'll like add/remove some shots. I was editing mine up until the week-of.<div>
    </div><div>So my point is, you should certainly mention that you have a list & perhaps even mention a few if you desire. I just don't see the need to whip out a list and discuss each in-depth. To each their own.</div>
  • I'd agree, except that the photographers asked ME for so many details at initial meetings. It was kind of off-putting. We ended up going with the photographer who was most relaxed about these things, yet clear on exactly what information he needed from us.
  • As PPs have proved, every photographer is different. I would not show up to an initial meeting with a bunch of shots, not knowing if I will even hire them. However, if you like them and during the meeting think you want to hire them, I would ask, "Is it OK if I bring a must-take photo list or have a few poses I'd really like to do?" Their answer will let you know how flexible they are and how much input they're willing to give (I frankly wanted a photog who knew what they were doing and had lots of ideas, but were still receptive to requests from us, seeing as how WE are paying them).

Closer to the wedding, if you still like those poses, that's when I might show them or discuss specific poses. Also, on the actual day when they are shooting, you might think of a pose you want for a specific location or whatever and I'd just ask them on the spot. Even if they aren't crazy about the pose, it's just one picture and again, YOU are paying them.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • Meta-issue: One thing that's important to us is to NOT have a bunch of follow-up meetings with vendors close to the wedding. We work full time. We have families and friends. I don't want every weekend for the 2 months (or more) before my wedding taken up going over must-take shot lists and side dishes and rose colors. Now, I also don't change my mind, really, I don't. And I'm very analytical. So I can think through the situations months in advance. So, for me, if I have something I want the vendor to have eventually, I give it to the vendor at the first opportunity.

The photographer we eventually hired was similarly analytical (not to give into stereotypes, but he's German) and think-ahead. He was also super-flexible about our day-of timeline, which has constraints imposed by family and the church, who can't make up their minds months ahead of time.

He toured the church to get an idea of the lighting and possible shots -gosh- 10 months before the wedding, I think it was. He was asking for the ceremony script. I told him we can get him every word, except the homily, but I don't know the order without checking with the Priest, who doesn't like those questions too early. So, I said I'd e-mail it to him as soon as we could compile it. But if I had it to give to him, I would have.

But every person, whether bride or vendor, is different.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_photos-video_okay-to-ask-for-specific-poses?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:30Discussion:83371edd-4bd5-40c2-9373-036266529881Post:f9cac601-1020-4635-acde-cfc807ab6c59">Re: Okay to Ask for Specific Poses?</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>Meta-issue: One thing that's important to us is to NOT have a bunch of follow-up meetings with vendors close to the wedding. We work full time. We have families and friends.</strong> I don't want every weekend for the 2 months (or more) before my wedding taken up going over must-take shot lists and side dishes and rose colors. Now, I also don't change my mind, really, I don't. And I'm very analytical. So I can think through the situations months in advance. So, for me, if I have something I want the vendor to have eventually, I give it to the vendor at the first opportunity. The photographer we eventually hired was similarly analytical (not to give into stereotypes, but he's German) and think-ahead. He was also super-flexible about our day-of timeline, which has constraints imposed by family and the church, who can't make up their minds months ahead of time. He toured the church to get an idea of the lighting and possible shots -gosh- 10 months before the wedding, I think it was. He was asking for the ceremony script. I told him we can get him every word, except the homily, but I don't know the order without checking with the Priest, who doesn't like those questions too early. So, I said I'd e-mail it to him as soon as we could compile it. But if I had it to give to him, I would have. But every person, whether bride or vendor, is different.
    Posted by ElisabethJoanne[/QUOTE]
    Right, as do a lot of the women on here. Who says that meetings have to be in person? With the exception of the venue, all of my final meetings were a 10 minute conversation on the phone while I was driving home. Considering I work 2 jobs & spend 2.5h of the day driving, I don't have time for meetings either. <div>
    </div><div>The majority of our correspondence was via email. A few days before the wedding I sent out an email to all of the vendors, attaching all of the things they needed such as the timelines, emergency contact info, must take photos, whatever else. One email & done. No need for length discussion on how to execute it. That'e their job & not mine. </div>
  • Any good photographer will ask about a shot list. ( this is who you want in each picture you want to make sure to have). Usally they will ask you to have one for them before the wedding but not at the inisial meeting. You should be able to e-mail it to them. Just make sure to have someone around the day of the wedding who can help identify the people you want in the pictures when you take the posed shots since your photographer won't know what they all look like.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards