Wedding Reception Forum

Venue woes

We are having such a difficult time choosing a wedding venue.  The place I really like the most is very expensive (of course).  The other place that I like a lot is very nice, but my fiance recently found that a family friend that just had a wedding there felt "ripped off" because he was promised certain things, but ended up having to pay for them.  I am the type of person that when I see a price (unless car shopping) I assume that is the price I will pay.  But when my fiance sees a price he wants to make deals and score better pricing.  I guess we just have a major clash of culture there. 

I just am feeling very depressed over the matter, because I feel like I just want a nice place with a nice meal to celebrate our future together, and I don't care about wheeling and dealing about the prices.  Anyone have any experience with this?

Re: Venue woes

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_venue-woes?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:c2595a54-2533-43eb-972b-925d36252d6cPost:50e77347-82d2-4276-a667-21a46f5e28fd">Venue woes</a>:
    [QUOTE]We are having such a difficult time choosing a wedding venue.  The place I really like the most is very expensive (of course).  The other place that I like a lot is very nice, but <strong>my fiance recently found that a family friend that just had a wedding there felt "ripped off" because he was promised certain things, but ended up having to pay for them.</strong>  I am the type of person that when I see a price (unless car shopping) I assume that is the price I will pay.  But when my fiance sees a price he wants to make deals and score better pricing.  I guess we just have a major clash of culture there.  I just am feeling very depressed over the matter, because I feel like I just want a nice place with a nice meal to celebrate our future together, and I don't care about wheeling and dealing about the prices.  Anyone have any experience with this?
    Posted by mmcelyea1[/QUOTE]

Your family friend needed to read his/her contract with the venue.  It would have been spelled out and if it's not in there, you take your chances.

If your FI can bargain with a venue, let him.  I doubt he'll have much luck though if it is a popular one.
    Proud to be an old married hag!! image
  • do not EVER assume anything.  get EVERYTHING in writing.

• edited May 2012
    Wedding stuff, and I think event planning generally, is much more like car shopping than regular shopping. Many things are negotiable. If vendors aren't willing to haggle, they'll just say no when you ask for discounts. But if you don't like haggling personally, can't you just let your fiance do it? ETA: And you can avoid that sense of being ripped off by making sure everything you are promised is included in the contract. If it's not, assume you haven't actually been promised it.
  • edited May 2012
    Thanks for the reassurance!  I'll let my fiance handle any haggling, and any promises we'll make sure to get in writing.
  • I like to try an haggle prices down if they are above my budget and I feel I can get a better price for it.  Worst case scenario is they say no.

As for the venue, just make sure to read your contract and have everthing spelled out in writing.  If they promise it for free and it's in the contract, they have to honor that.  
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards