Ohio-Cincinnati

HELP!!!

Just got a quote from the flowerman, which I thought was going to be the least expensive and it was almost $3000 dollars!!!!! How much did everyone else spend on flowers and where did you guys go, Im not sure what a reasonable price is, but I DID NOT plan on spending $3000 on flowers!!! HELP!!!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: HELP!!!

• jennearstonjennearston member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Just make your own flowers.  Why pay 3k for flowers that will last a few days.  Invest that 3k into something actually worth it.  I am shocked with the amount of people who really spend all kinds of money on something that will be dead soon.  If you create them yourself you can be as creative as you want.

I would go to Michaels or places like that and do your own...have a girls wine night and knock them out.

Its offical...I am married!!
  • hsnodgrahsnodgra member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree - the costs of real flowers is pretty out of control! I'm not sure you will find anything MUCH cheaper, but might not hurt to shop around!

I also agree w/ the above post about looking into some different options... making them yourself out of silk flowers... or how about doing non-floral centerpieces? If you do that and just use a florist for your bouquets you'll save tons of money! If you are set on real flowers for the centerpieces - maybe just do something simple like a big single flower floating in a bowl w/ votive candles?
  • cincy2011cincy2011 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Wow - $3000!  We are paying less than $1000 for 15 centerpieces, 5 bouquets, 6 bouts and a flower girl bouquet. 

Designs by Tia - tbird2@fuse.net
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • GoBucksOHGoBucksOH member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I got a quote of $1500 from Furst Florist and $1200 from Sherwood (both in Dayton)

$3000 is insane, in my opinion.

If you want real flowers, keep checking around at other places for their quotes, switch up the types of flowers you are using, and the amount of flowers you are using. Don't over do it at the church - your bridesmaids will already be carrying flowers so you wont need alot more. Also, dont worry about decorating your head table with flowers at the reception b/c you can use your BM's flowers to do that.

I hope this helps!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited December 2011

It depends on what kind of flowers you want.  Go talk to a florist about substitutions.  I got exactly what I wanted for $1000- Mine, guys bouts, 4 BMs, centerpieces (I don't remember how many, but I loved them), and altar arrangements.   We used roses from the Fresh Market for our petal toss and to replace the guys bouts that died before we made it to the wedding.

Meet with as many as you can as well.  I met with one who wouldn't give me a price breakdown, and she wanted $1200 for just me and the guys plus a casket arrangement that would serve as the head table centerpiece that I really didn't want.  When I walked in, she didn't answer.  I had to go to the back to find her picking her nose, smoking and watching the View.  Moral of this story?  Shop around. 

• edited December 2011

Try Katie Elfers- she does amazing work with almost any budget.  She's been hard to reach in the past, but just got a new work space, so she's easier to reach now.  GL!

859-653-3029

www.inspiredfloral.com/" target="_blank">http://www.inspiredfloral.com

• clearheavensclearheavens member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    To help cut down on costs for flowers, choose blooms that are local and in season.  Here are a list of some that are generally on the budget side all year around in this area:

Asian lillies
    hydrangea
    alstroemeria
    roses
    carnations
    gladiolus
    chrysanthemum

You can make inexpensive substitutions, too.  For example, if you like peonies, you can do English rose.

Also, get quotes from at least 3 florists, preferrably in various ranges.  The range I got from various florists was $1k.
    Follow Me on Pinterest

BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Hey, there.

I've got the same mindset--flowers are not the most important thing for me, so I really don't want to drop a load of cash on them.

You might want to check out a Kroger florist.  We are still debating what we want to do, but we really like the person we met with at Newport Kroger (Erica, who is the floral manager) and her quote was about $600 cheaper than the other florist we're considering.  She's going to do a trail run centerpiece and bouquet and then we'll make our final decision.

That said, we are doing really simple arrangements and bouquets using tulips, which are going to be in season during our wedding.  If we were doing something more elaborate, we would probably go with a private florist.  Also, Kroger doesn't deliver.  If we go with them, the dudes are going to be tasked with picking them up while the ladies are getting hair and make up done.

Buying your own vases can also cut down on costs.  I found two, 3' tall vases for our ceremony at Home Goods for $15 a piece and we ordered cylinder vases through the dollartree for $1 a piece.  Based on what we've been quoted, that's going to save us $4-7 dollars per centerpiece.
  • edited December 2011
    Secret Garden in Florence, KY! I used to work for a florist...I about fell out of my chair when the quote came back. Under $700 for my flowers....

my bouquet
    5 BM
    2 Moms
    2 Gmas
    4 program attendants
    2 flower girls
    Groom
    4 GM
    2 Ushers
    2 Dads
    1 Gpa
    1 Ring bearer
    2 Readers
    2 Medium Sizes arrangements
    1 Large bag of loose rose petals for reception
    Cake flowers

They have GREAT pricing because they are wholesalers! I've seen their flowers first hand at weddings and they are gorgeous!
  • edited December 2011
    Yea, 3k is way too expensive for a bunch of crap that's gonna die in 4-5 days. I'm spending $1500 for all of my flowers which include my bouquet, 4 bridesmaids, 1 flower girl, 8 boutenieres, 20 centerpieces, roses for the Virgin Mary, and altar arrangements. I'm working with Two Little Buds in Fairfield Township- I recommend them.
    Anniversary
  • sloanawsloanaw member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are going with Susan Foy, she is www.theweddingdesigner1.com I believe.  She is really nice! and super reasonable! She will fit any budget and is really fast and friendly with suggestions!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic June Offbeat Siggy: Then and Now Pics!!!! Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • dmiller9274dmiller9274 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    Try Krogers. You have to have a picture of exactly what you want, but they'll make it just how it looks. They were a fraction of the price we got from FlowerMan. I know several people who've used Krogers and have been very happy with the service, and the flowers.
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards