Maryland-Baltimore

August 2012 Waterfront wedding

Looking to get married around August 2012 (date is not set in stone)
Would like a place which I could have both ceremony & reception.
Saturday evening wedding a MUST!
Inviting about 150 guests.
Doesnt matter if sit down or buffet.
Doesnt matter in house caterer or not.
Definitely would like to have my ceremony & reception facing water, on water, etc... I do not necessarily have a particular place in mind so I am definitely open to ANY suggestions wether DC, MD, VA, SC, NC, FL. 
I am paying the wedding (my fiance and I) ourselves so cost is very important.
I would like to stay within $10000 and if we were traveling out of state the good thing about that would be that onlyhalf our guests would probably be attenting. 
I hope Im not asking much.  I just love the water and would love not to have to compromise on that.  I mean its my wedding and I plan to get married only once.
PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!! Undecided

Re: August 2012 Waterfront wedding

• PaderibiPaderibi member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Love point in Kent Island MD. Look at catering by uptown's webste, they ahve a bunch of those
  • edited December 2011
    I was married just last weekend at the Rusty Scupper in Baltimore and it was absolutely perfect!  We did the ceremony on the deck right there on the harbor with the water and city skyline behind us. Then we moved inside for a really heavy passed appetizer style reception (people were totally stuffed we just didn't have tables for everyone) and then once the ceremony was torn down outside we moved the apps outside too and our dance floor was out there.   They can also do seated dinners for up to 100 inside and another 100 outside.  The deck isn't covered so there is always the risk of weather, but the room inside is floor to ceiling windows so you have the view either way.   Everyone commented on the fantastic venue and how beautiful the view of the water/city was.  Even better was that the events coordinator/sales manager there, Alyssa, was amazing to work with!

The best part is it was really affordable compared to other places we looked at.  We only ended up having 80 people attend, but we also way overdid it on the food and upgraded to a lot of the more expensive seafood options and included 4 hours of top-shelf open bar.  Our total was under 8K for the space, food, and beverage.  Depending on the choices you make, I think you could probably keep to a tight budget.   If you have more people, you could choose different menu options, go with a different bar package, or cut back on the length of the open bar. 

I worked really hard to not comprimise quality, but save money where I could and can help you with ideas on ways to save money in Baltimore on other aspects of your wedding too.  For instance, we got a beautiful and incredibly delicious butter cream iced wedding cake that served 60 and 75 mini-desserts complete with delivery from Grauls Market for $215.  That is less than half of what most bakeries wanted for the cake alone and guests commented it was some of the best wedding cake they had ever had. 

Best of luck and if you do decide to check out the Rusty Scupper as a venue, I would be happy to share more with you about some of the choices we made or send you a link to some pictures. 

~Mary
  • celticmysscelticmyss member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am really glad to hear your feedback about the Rusty Scupper. I have been meaning to email them for quite some time. I am also looking to do more of a cocktail and app based reception for about 30-50 people.

I have to admit the only real turn off is the name... You have motivated me to finally send that inquiry email though so thank you!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited December 2011
    historic londontowne and gardens in annapolis! Its beautiful!
    More than words.....
  • BmoreBride311BmoreBride311 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If the budget is $10k just for reception, Baltimore Museum of Industry could work. You have to get your own caterer so could possibly find an inexpensive option there.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    We are getting married and having our reception at Easten Yacht Club June 2012. We also have a 10k budget. Its right on the water, the view is amazing!

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_maryland-baltimore_august-2012-waterfront-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:85Discussion:1b038e2b-4814-4b43-94e0-bd985c3b92b7Post:97ff56f6-bc8d-4fa9-a407-7ee79e17de82">August 2012 Waterfront wedding</a>:
    [QUOTE]Looking to get married around August 2012 (date is not set in stone) Would like a place which I could have both ceremony & reception. Saturday evening wedding a MUST! Inviting about 150 guests. Doesnt matter if sit down or buffet. Doesnt matter in house caterer or not. Definitely would like to have my ceremony & reception facing water, on water, etc... I do not necessarily have a particular place in mind so I am definitely open to ANY suggestions wether DC, MD, VA, SC, NC, FL.  I am paying the wedding (my fiance and I) ourselves so cost is very important. I would like to stay within $10000 and if we were traveling out of state the good thing about that would be that onlyhalf our guests would probably be attenting.  I hope Im not asking much.  I just love the water and would love not to have to compromise on that.  I mean its my wedding and I plan to get married only once. PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!
    Posted by bellahottlipz[/QUOTE]
  • lwaigandlwaigand member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Try the Tides Inn -- good reviews ,my daughter checked into it for her wedding in Sept 2012 and it is reasonablel -- beautiul for a waterfront wedding -- Good Luck!
  • Hi Mary, my do you have a recommendation for a photographer as well?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards