New York-New York City

Contract Bait and Switch

We signed and faxed a contract with our ceremony location back in October. They wrote up the offer, then we signed the contract for $500 location fee including chairs. I just got a voicemail that they screwed up and the price is supposed to be $3000!!!

Do I have any rights? What should I say when I call them back? We really like the location even though they seem like jerks.

Re: Contract Bait and Switch

• edited December 2011
    Did they sign the $500 contract too?  If so, then they should honor that, mistake or not.  You mentioned that you also have a written offer from them?  If you have something in writing from them and they already took your $500 as a deposit, you have a contract, it's legally binding, they have to honor that.
  • yassieyassie member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I certainly know what that is like. We are in the same predicament for much worse. A NYC restaurant we have a signed agreement with + we paid the first deposit, told my FI on Dec 23 that they can't honor it because the employee who contracted it was fired and didn't know what she was doing- their words. In an case they are willing to renegotiate the contract for $10K more, which is out of our budget. The wedding is 16 weeks away. The event was not extravagant, it was a 3hr brunch. We are having a lawyer look into the contract, after several discussions with the restaurant. This whole experience has made me weary. We are starting to look at other locations.
  • edited December 2011
    Oh my goodness Yassie! That is terrible! My place did a similar thing saying "person in charge was on vacation". Ughhhhh! A 3 hr brunch is certainly not worth 10k!

Unfortunately with my situation, they never signed the contract, and never charged my credit card, so I am not sure how it is going to turn out. But they were the ones who made the offer (in writing) in the first place.
  • yassieyassie member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Did they honor their original pricing?  All I can say is trust your instinct. If you like the place but the people are not trustworthy, I would continue looking. I had the same hesitation but liked the location.

• edited December 2011
    As of today they dropped the price to $1200; still not what we were expecting to pay.  We recently learned of some verbal agreement laws so we will talk to them about that tomorrow. They don't seem to care that they signed the contract. Even though they made a mistake it should not matter.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards