April 2013 Weddings
Options

Not registering

I don't feel like bothering with a registry.

We're expecting 175ish guests, so a typical size wedding.
Anybody else skip registering?

Re: Not registering

• Options
    We won't be registering, but we're having a destination wedding. Inviting 50, expecting 25. Coming to our wedding is a big enough gift for us.

Anniversary
  • Options
    At first I thought it was silly, but our friends/family want to buy us stuff, and this way we can get stuff we wouldn't normally buy for ourselves (nice towels, food processor, etc). Now I'm getting excited about it.
  • Options
    I have two registries.

One for family that has stuff we really care about getting, it's pretty small since we're having 60ish people. And, one for my work shower that has a lot of stuff on it, all price points. I work in a big company and they throw some pretty nice showers. LOL So, I decided to register out of self defense. ;)
  • Options
    I was against registering, while its my fiance's first marriage, its my second and we have been living together since we got engaged and were already pretty well established.  But we had a few people tell us we needed to have something so we now have a very tiny registry at BBB.

My finace really wanted to do a honeymoon registry that would help pay for different excursions and meals during our honeymoon but I thought that sounded innappropriate.  However a few of his family members piped in that they loved the idea so I guess thats something we are doing too.  I'm still a little uncomfortable with it but I guess if they aren't its a very nice guesture on their part!
    February Siggy Challenge - Bridesmaid Dresses - April 2013 Board

No bridesmaids, just my flower girl

• Options
    edited November 2012
    Personally I think its a good idea to have at least a small registry. Most people will want to buy you gifts, so it might as well be something you like or may need. If you don't need anything now, maybe just register for giftcards for future things you may need? Just me two cents c:
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_april-2013-weddings_not-registering?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:820178d7-4f43-4671-bcab-c5c2c01eef1eDiscussion:4cab4e08-b8df-4957-afc3-b4de05c682ebPost:8c03b4a8-3e87-42df-ab31-a00c5ec505be">Re: Not registering</a>:
    [QUOTE]I was against registering, while its my fiance's first marriage, its my second and we have been living together since we got engaged and were already pretty well established.  But we had a few people tell us we needed to have something so we now have a very tiny registry at BBB. <strong>My finace really wanted to do a honeymoon registry that would help pay for different excursions and meals during our honeymoon but I thought that sounded innappropriate</strong>.  However a few of his family members piped in that they loved the idea so I guess thats something we are doing too.  I'm still a little uncomfortable with it but I guess if they aren't its a very nice guesture on their part!
    Posted by bdpbride[/QUOTE]

You are correct, they are inappropriate. What happens is that your guests will give, say $50.00 to treat you to a massage or something, BUT because they go through a honeymoon registry you only get $35 out of it. So you end up losing out because the company takes a portion of what is being given from your guests.

Chino - I would make a small registry, especially because you are having a larger wedding. Otherwise people will get what THEY think you'd want at your shower (if you are having one). Just go online and add some items that you might want/need!
  • Options
    bdp- Don't do a honeymoon registry!! Your guests give an amount and you don't even receive all of it. Just don't do a registry and get cash and then use it for your honeymoon. Honeymoon registries are considered pretty tacky so you don't want to fall into that!

To OP if you don't want to register because it's a pain, you can do it online too. That's what I did instead of going into a store. It was super easy because I just did it while bored at home, and it would give guests an idea of some stuff to get. Some don't like to give cash (and while of course no one is required to give gifts) it is better than getting some random kitchen stuff you don't want or already have, and not being able to return it since you don't have a receipt...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    We aren't registering as its my second wedding, and also many of our guests are coming from the UK so money will already be tight.
    Visit LasVegas.Weddings.com Wedding Countdown Ticker
    March siggy:THE DRESS
    photo practically_perfect_2_zpsb1ba38c6.jpg
  • Options
    ChiGirl2013ChiGirl2013 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary First Comment
    edited November 2012
    I didn't plan on registering because we're doing a small destination wedding and I really don't expect gifts from people who just forked over all that money just to be there.  However, I'm getting more and more people asking where we're registering.  They know they're not invited to the wedding because we're keeping it only to immediate family, but they're determined to buy us something anyway.  The way I see it, either I had to create a small registry or risk getting 10 fondue pots with no gift receipts.  lol

Our registry only has about 1/3 the number of items recommended, and there's not much on there that's over $40, aside from the Noritake dishes I put on there just to get the discount after the wedding.  Everything is pretty much in the $20-ish range like dish towels, picture frames, and kitchen gadgets.  Hopefully, that will make people happy.  I'm not going to make the registry known unless someone asks, though.  I don't want to seem greedy.

Oh, and I did everything online while in my pj's.  Took all of about 15 minutes.  I despise shopping and can't imagine myself running around a department store with a scanner.  UGH!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    58 invited image | 17 love destination weddings image
    20 can't make it image | 21 don't know what to do with a RSVP card image
    RSVP Deadline: March 8th
  • Options
    Like PP have said - registering online makes it ridiculously easy. I didn't have the desire to walk around the store and spend all of the time in person, however, i found the time during boring conference calls at work. I would definitely create a small registry - if only to avoid a bunch of things you hate or have no use for and/or get stuck with things you can't return. 

Follow Me on Pinterest

• Options
    im not registering ether, we dont need anything. i told my family that they dont need to get us anything ( they are paying for the wedding). but anyone who wants to that we will just take gift cards, alot of people will get annoyed if you dont tell them what you want :/
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    I think it's always a good idea to have SOMETHING, even if you don't exactly need it. Because I agree that some guests will be looking for a list of items, and it's better to give them some ideas vs having completely random items. You could add basic items like photo frames - I'm sure you'll be able to put them to good use after your wedding! :)

We will be doing a registry. I am pretty excited about it, actually, although I haven't yet started the registry itself. I plan on us going through items online. All of the items will be upgrades or things that we wouldn't buy ourselves. If we don't get much, no biggie - we already have everything we need. But new things are always fun :-D
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    So ready to bring our families together and PARTY on April 13th, 2013!
    image 225 Invited
    image 53 Are ready to party!
    image 18 Will be missing out!
    image 154 Are MIA!
    Reply requested by March 23.
  • Options

About a week after we got engaged people were already asking us where we registered??  I have gotten engagement gifts, housewarming gifts, birthday gifts and holiday gifts all off our registry.  People are going to look for a registry and if they don't find one you may end up getting some gifts that you don't need, already have or hate.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    FI and I are planning on registering. You can always register and update the items that you already have like bedding, pots and pans, flatware etc.
    148 invitedimage | 105 Yes!image | 8 Noimage |33 still ? image
    RSVP Deadline: March 8
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    i have something to add that i just learned! 
    soo if you register at Khol's you get 15% of the cost of items on a gift card! plus they have a very good return policy! i think its a better idea :)
  • Options
    Most places do offer 10% - 20% off any "leftover" registry items after your wedding date.  I know Target does, BB&B does, and I believe Macy's does as well.  It's definitely a bonus.  We're not expecting gifts from many people at all, but that discount will come in handy after the wedding for sure.  The only thing I REALLY want is new everyday dishes and I won't be  upset at all if we have to buy them ourselves.  But who doesn't love a discount?  :-)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    58 invited image | 17 love destination weddings image
    20 can't make it image | 21 don't know what to do with a RSVP card image
    RSVP Deadline: March 8th
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards