African American Weddings

Bride & Groom First Look?

Hello Ladies! I'm pretty new to this forum and I need some opinions!!! I've noticed that alot of brides and grooms do the "first look" before the ceremony. I like the idea of it because we can get alot of the pictures out of the way instead of waiting after the ceremony but my FI isn't too keen on the idea. He doesn't want to see me until I actually walk down the aisle. Did any of you ladies do a "first look" or are you planning on doing a "first look" and would you recommend it? Thanks!!!
Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

imageGraphics

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Bride & Groom First Look?

• tyboydtyboyd member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011

My FI is ok with the 1st look because he already wants to know what dress I'ma get and stuff like that. Watching Say Yes to the Dress, he's like, see her FI is there with her... blah blah.

I want to do the 1st look (and we probably will) because I want us to take pics in The Woodlands because they have beautiful back drops for pics. And I really don't care for the venue as far as outdoors pics goes.

Also, I want to do it to get most of the pics out of the way. Our venue doesn't have a room for cocktail hour, so I don't want the guests waiting around for us to take pics while they're sitting there snacking until they can eat.

• edited December 2011
    more than likely we'll do one.  FI has seen me in my dress.   it's not a big deal to me. 
  • edited December 2011
    I wouldn't mind doing a first look but my FI isn't interested in it either. He said he'd rather wait until I walk down the aisle.
    Anniversary
  • amberlynnedamberlynned member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We did one & it was the best idea we ever had. It gave us some intimate time before all of the craziness began & we got some great pics. We also weren't rushed to take pics during the cocktail hour because we had them all out of the way before the ceremony started. I totally would recommend you two do it.

HTH
    Creating Our Happily Ever After Countdown Ticker

Our Married Bio
  • TysWife2BeTysWife2Be member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Personally, I would rather wait until I walk down the aisle for FI to see me
    AAW June 2011 Siggy Challenge : "Daddy and Me"

Photobucket

Wedding Planning Blog (Updated 10/18/10)

• cincy2011cincy2011 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're doing it - just to get more time with our guests b/c we can mingle with them at the cocktail reception and also b/c we want our first look to be a little more private than when I walk down the aisle. 

I'd also love to get some tears out of the way so I won't cry so much as I'm walking down the aisle.  LOL
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • edited December 2011
    I definitely understand why some couples choose to do a first look but I don't want to do a first look.  I really really want to see  the look on his face when he sees me walking down the aisle, I think he will probably shed a tear..I don't think I'll get that same effect if we do a first look.
  • edited December 2011
    I didn't do a first look, and I don't regret it. I loved seeing my DH for the first time while walking down the aisle. But if a first look works for you and your FI, I say go for it!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • adgenyaadgenya member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We did and we got a lot of really good photos together. Walking down the aisle was still the same...we both cried and the "OMG I'm getting married" moment was still there and just as special. Here is a pic from our first look...we would've never been able to replicate this during the ceremony. 
  • cincy2011cincy2011 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_bride-groom-first-look?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:400Discussion:c4d6e619-afa4-4b90-9db5-111e648a4711Post:12159792-16ea-4c5c-b469-0ff00d59df5d">Re: Bride & Groom First Look?</a>:
    [QUOTE]We did and we got a lot of really good photos together. <strong>Walking down the aisle was still the same...we both cried and the "OMG I'm getting married" moment was still there and just as special. </strong>Here is a pic from our first look...we would've never been able to replicate this during the ceremony. 
    Posted by adgenya[/QUOTE]

That's what I always hear, which is why I'm not worried about it.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • edited December 2011
    I think that we are going to do it. Our reason is the same as other. Want to get in some great pictures and want to mingle with the guest for a little.
    My Wedding Planning Bio (Updated January 24, 2011)
    Created by Wedding Favors
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic AAW May Siggy Challenge: Picture of Me and My mom! image 170 Made the cut Happy smiley!
    image 102 Making the Trip to Atlanta Smiley!
    image 64 Can't make the trip to Atlanta Smiley!
    image 6 Can't decide or won't let us know Smiley!
    R.S.V.P Deadline April 30th!!! SMH!
  • edited December 2011
    Yeah, we are doing a "first look" moment together too. My FI went to his cousins wedding and had to wait two hours for the reception to start due to them not doing the first look. They took pictures after the ceremony. My FI refused to let that happen at our wedding.
  • edited December 2011

We're doing one. For the very same reasons as a lot of the other knotties.

He that findeth a wife, findeth a GOOD THING!! small2 small Photobucket
  • tyboydtyboyd member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_bride-groom-first-look?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:400Discussion:c4d6e619-afa4-4b90-9db5-111e648a4711Post:10ed03c6-9ed8-431d-b405-6da1d7e7c548">Re: Bride & Groom First Look?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yeah, we are doing a "first look" moment together too. My FI went to his cousins wedding and had to wait<font color="#ff0000"><strong> two hours</strong></font> for the reception to start due to them not doing the first look. They took pictures after the ceremony. My FI refused to let that happen at our wedding.
    Posted by GeorgiaGC[/QUOTE]

<strong><font color="#ff0000">WHO/WHAT</font></strong> all were they taking pictures of for <font color="#ff0000"><strong>TWO HOURS</strong></font>?!
  • adgenyaadgenya member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_bride-groom-first-look?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:400Discussion:c4d6e619-afa4-4b90-9db5-111e648a4711Post:10ed03c6-9ed8-431d-b405-6da1d7e7c548">Re: Bride & Groom First Look?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yeah, we are doing a "first look" moment together too. My FI went to his cousins wedding and <strong>had to wait two hours for the reception to start due to them not doing the first look</strong>. They took pictures after the ceremony. My FI refused to let that happen at our wedding.

<div>
    </div><div>That's just rude. I hope they had hors d'oeuvres for you all. We took our after family pictures ad other portraits after the ceremony, but it only took 45 minutes. We had a cocktail hour but I still felt bad neglecting my guests so we could take extra pictures. </div>
  • edited December 2011
    I won't be doing a first look because I want the element of surprise from all of my guests and my husband to be. To each his own though.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks ladies for all the great opinions! I really appreciate everyone helping me out!!!

imageGraphics

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_bride-groom-first-look?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:400Discussion:c4d6e619-afa4-4b90-9db5-111e648a4711Post:10ed03c6-9ed8-431d-b405-6da1d7e7c548">Re: Bride & Groom First Look?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yeah, we are doing a "first look" moment together too. My FI went to his cousins wedding and had to wait two hours for the reception to start due to them not doing the first look. They took pictures after the ceremony. My FI refused to let that happen at our wedding.

<div>I went to a wedding like that where we had to wait a good amount of time before the wedding party came back from taking pictures as well.  We only had the water or tea the waiters were serving and our favors (rock candy).  A lot of people at my table ended up eating their rock candy before the wedding party got back because we were waiting so long.</div><div>
    </div><div>But, FI and I both agreed that we won't see each other before the ceremony.  It's good for me because I like to follow tradition, but I understand why others want to do it.</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_bride-groom-first-look?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:400Discussion:c4d6e619-afa4-4b90-9db5-111e648a4711Post:f59f870c-9c5d-43d3-b2c2-4e5b52dbe1ad">Re: Bride & Groom First Look?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I definitely understand why some couples choose to do a first look but I don't want to do a first look.  I really really want to see  the look on his face when he sees me walking down the aisle, I think he will probably shed a tear..I don't think I'll get that same effect if we do a first look.
    Posted by PhillyBride123[/QUOTE]

My exact thoughts...but FI keeps saying he won't shed any tears....right.  LOL
  • edited December 2011
    I HIGHLY recommend doing the first look. First, it eased both of our nerves and it was a special private moment seeing eachother for the first time. I even cried, and I know if I had been crying while walking down the aisle I would have been pissed at how my pics turned out...lol

No but seriously, we got ALL photos done - ours, BP, family, etc and we were able to enjoy the cocktail hour and make our rounds. By the time the reception came we were just dancing the night away and didn't have to worry about being pulled away to take pictures. Our family appreciated it too.

It was still exciting walking down the aisle to him even though we did first look, nothing can take away that feeling of walking down the aisle towards your husband to be.

You should really talk to your FI about it there are so many pros...one big one being you get to enjoy the party you spent tons of money and time on!

HTH
    ~ Planning Bio~
    ~ Married Bio~
    ~ Married August 15, 2010 ~
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    All You Need Is Love....
  • TheCranberryTheCranberry member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are doing a first look as well.  We want to take as many pics as possible before the wedding so that we can enjoy the cocktail hour with our guests.  If you want the first look, but he's concerned about the special moment or seeing in your dress, you can do things to make it special.

Pick out a nice, quiet spot at your home, the hotel or the venue and arrange to do it there.  Make sure no one else is around when you walk in or perhaps just have the photog there if you want a picture.  Maybe have a glass of champagne, a special song playing, etc.  It can still be a very special moment even though he's not seeing you for the first time walking down the aisle.  Like other people said, the walk down the aisle will still be a big deal even though he's seen you before.
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks everyone! I let my FI read all the responses and he now realizes the point of the first look. He doesn't want our guest to have to wait around while we take pics so now he's on board for the first look! Thanks again ladies!!!

imageGraphics

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_bride-groom-first-look?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:400Discussion:c4d6e619-afa4-4b90-9db5-111e648a4711Post:f58120e4-0d81-4493-844b-8efb8f1342e3">Re: Bride & Groom First Look?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I won't be doing a first look because I want the element of surprise from all of my guests and my husband to be. To each his own though.
    Posted by prettymami2[/QUOTE]

Ditto
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards