Snarky Brides

Rape jokes and Daniel Tosh

123457»

Re: Rape jokes and Daniel Tosh

• I'm finding this thread to be similar to the whole "who's the most laid back bride" thing.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_rape-jokes-and-daniel-tosh?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:5b7a0d99-0d55-4fd3-9c00-77375e0b2459Post:b1d1e2bb-c7f8-42cf-ab52-4e67829c4610">Re: Rape jokes and Daniel Tosh</a>:
    [QUOTE]Lets just file rape under the list of things that "UNLESS YOU HAVE BEEN THROUGH IT YOU DONT GET TO TALK/LAUGH/MAKE JOKES about it!" FFS people re-fucking-lax.  Nobody is happy you (general you here) got raped or thinks its funny.  We just said some jokes are.
    Posted by Blueyed228[/QUOTE]
    Yes, it's like the people who are all "You can't have an opinion about (child related stuff) because you aren't a parent!"

How do you get a baby to stop crawling in circles?

Nail its other hand to the floor.
  • It's just really hard for me to distinguish between rape isn't funny, but rape jokes are funny.  If rape itself isn't funny, then... why can we joke about rape?  The correlation doesn't match up to me? 

Life's burning thoughts. 
    panther
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_rape-jokes-and-daniel-tosh?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:5b7a0d99-0d55-4fd3-9c00-77375e0b2459Post:462f7b40-5170-4b85-8705-ddab9fdd362a">Re: Rape jokes and Daniel Tosh</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rape jokes and Daniel Tosh : Yes, it's like the people who are all "You can't have an opinion about (child related stuff) because you aren't a parent!" How do you get a baby to stop crawling in circles? Nail its other hand to the floor.
    Posted by maratea[/QUOTE]

That just made me LOL and I don't throw that phrase around lightly.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_rape-jokes-and-daniel-tosh?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:5b7a0d99-0d55-4fd3-9c00-77375e0b2459Post:5faa87bf-a80c-4a22-8253-79fd31575001">Re: Rape jokes and Daniel Tosh</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rape jokes and Daniel Tosh : Maybe not shame, but inform the person that this subject, rape, does affect people?  Like, 25% of women, people?  And affects them in a way that is probably large and negative?  Like, losing thier virginity to a stranger or relative, acquiring an STD,  or leading to an unwanted pregnancy?  You <strong>probably don't know how personally you are offending people with rape jokes because rape is not talked about.</strong>  I would guess many people wouldn't know if a member of their family or a close friend had been through something like this. 
    Posted by Wiscisbliss[/QUOTE]

That's assuming everyone who is a victim of sexual assault would be offended. I am, and I'm not offended by his rape joke. I get what you're saying about not knowing due to women being afraid or ashamed to tell anyone in the first place, but I also agree with nuggs that we can't go around worried we will offend people with every single thing we say. That's exhausting.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_rape-jokes-and-daniel-tosh?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:5b7a0d99-0d55-4fd3-9c00-77375e0b2459Post:c9b396fe-bd0f-4443-97c8-843193c5922e">Re: Rape jokes and Daniel Tosh</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm finding this thread to be similar to the whole "who's the most laid back bride" thing.
    Posted by jennamarie10[/QUOTE]

How so?  Who can be least offended by jokes?
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_rape-jokes-and-daniel-tosh?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:5b7a0d99-0d55-4fd3-9c00-77375e0b2459Post:f8e9de30-c06c-471a-a9b8-49365e0d976d">Re: Rape jokes and Daniel Tosh</a>:
    [QUOTE]Obviously the only cure for this is more dead baby jokes.
    Posted by NuggetBrain[/QUOTE]

Nope.  No more jokes. 

Cant do dead baby ones cause ive lost 3

Cant do race ones cause your black.

Cant say gyped cause of the gypsys

Cant make redneck jokes cause of aatb.

Lets just all talk about WFD.
    045_45-1 photo 045_45-1.jpg
    BabyFruit Ticker
    DX: PCOS/Recurrent losses/MTHFR mutation (compound hetero)
    5 hysteroscopies/2 surgical
    3 Inject IUIs = 2 m/c's and 1 BFN
    IVF #1= BFP. m/c at 7w6d. Needed 2 D&C's and scar tissue removal. Mild OHSS
    IVF #2 = BFP. Severe OHSS. 4 Drainings. TWINS!
  • Nuggs - Since most victims do not report the crime, the very serious problem of rape is not perceived to be as bad as it is.  Society still blames victims.  So victims don't speak out.  So even if someone is offended by rape jokes, you might call them oversensitve when maybe it is perfectly reasonable to be sensitive... and that many people have a reason to be sensitive. 

I waited 6 hours in a hospital ER for a rape advocate.  When she arrived she let me know that "when this happens again" I should do x y and z because I did it wrong on my first time. 
    The advocate told me this.  Yep. 

My lunch is over.  So that is all for me.  I understand that I may not be explaining myself well. 
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_rape-jokes-and-daniel-tosh?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:5b7a0d99-0d55-4fd3-9c00-77375e0b2459Post:eb99c13b-7ef1-4462-9407-32b8df38f09d">Re: Rape jokes and Daniel Tosh</a>:
    [QUOTE]It's just really hard for me to distinguish between rape isn't funny, but rape jokes are funny.  If rape itself isn't funny, then... why can we joke about rape?  The correlation doesn't match up to me?  Life's burning thoughts. 
    Posted by AllAboutTheBenjamin[/QUOTE]

Why are dead baby jokes funny?  Miscarriage isnt funny.
    Why are racial jokes funny?  Racism isnt funny.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_rape-jokes-and-daniel-tosh?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:5b7a0d99-0d55-4fd3-9c00-77375e0b2459Post:c9b396fe-bd0f-4443-97c8-843193c5922e">Re: Rape jokes and Daniel Tosh</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm finding this thread to be similar to the whole "who's the most laid back bride" thing.
    Posted by jennamarie10[/QUOTE]

How, exactly?

If I wanted to hear the pitter-patter of little feet, I'd put shoes on the cat. image

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_rape-jokes-and-daniel-tosh?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:5b7a0d99-0d55-4fd3-9c00-77375e0b2459Post:eb99c13b-7ef1-4462-9407-32b8df38f09d">Re: Rape jokes and Daniel Tosh</a>:
    [QUOTE]It's just really hard for me to distinguish between rape isn't funny, but rape jokes are funny.  If rape itself isn't funny, then... why can we joke about rape?  The correlation doesn't match up to me?  Life's burning thoughts. 

Do you find jokes about terrorists funny? 

If I wanted to hear the pitter-patter of little feet, I'd put shoes on the cat. image

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_rape-jokes-and-daniel-tosh?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:5b7a0d99-0d55-4fd3-9c00-77375e0b2459Post:7472998b-29b4-4d34-9199-1bfd03a119a7">Re: Rape jokes and Daniel Tosh</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rape jokes and Daniel Tosh : Why are dead baby jokes funny?  Miscarriage isnt funny. Why are racial jokes funny?  Racism isnt funny.

The Holocaust was funny, wasn't it?

Oh, no? My bad.
  • NuggetBrainNuggetBrain member
    First Comment
    edited July 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_rape-jokes-and-daniel-tosh?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:5b7a0d99-0d55-4fd3-9c00-77375e0b2459Post:7cd1a840-a68d-44c5-a769-61126e113023">Re: Rape jokes and Daniel Tosh</a>:
    [QUOTE]Nuggs - Since most victims do not report the crime, the very serious problem of rape is not perceived to be as bad as it is.  Society still blames victims.  So victims don't speak out.  <strong>So even if someone is offended by rape jokes, you might call them oversensitve when maybe it is perfectly reasonable to be sensitive</strong>... and that many people have a reason to be sensitive.  I waited 6 hours in a hospital ER for a rape advocate.  When she arrived she let me know that "when this happens again" I should do x y and z because I did it wrong on my first time.  The advocate told me this.  Yep.  My lunch is over.  So that is all for me.  I understand that I may not be explaining myself well. 
    Posted by Wiscisbliss[/QUOTE]

You're missing the main point, which is that I have no more of a right to tell someone they should not be offended at a joke than they have to tell me I should be.  I would never accuse you of being over-sensitive.  Hell, I completely understand why you find rape jokes so disgusting and unacceptable. My issue comes with how you handle being offended or not being offended by a joke. 

Getting up and walking out of a show?  Fine.  Expressing your disgust via Twitter or FB or writting a letter to the newspaper or whatever?  Fine.  Asking for your money back?  Fine.

Heckling the comedian in the middle of the show and pissing off the other 280 people who paid for a ticket after going to see the headliner who is already known for crude and offensive humor?  Not fine.

• Lol google "offensive jokes" and click on the 1st link that comes up.
    June 16, 2012
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_rape-jokes-and-daniel-tosh?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:5b7a0d99-0d55-4fd3-9c00-77375e0b2459Post:0173c07e-2b34-421b-9019-4a3b140001c2">Re: Rape jokes and Daniel Tosh</a>:
    [QUOTE]Lol google "offensive jokes" and click on the 1st link that comes up.
    Posted by acaponi87[/QUOTE]

Ha!
  • Well... I do think redneck jokes are funny.
    panther
  • Blueyed228Blueyed228 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited July 2012
    Know what the funny part of this whole thing is?

Ive never heard a rape joke that acutally jokes about the act of being raped.  Its always in the "you will probably get raped" context.

ETA: Meaning jokes about rape and women  The jokes about rape and men are always about the buttsex.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_rape-jokes-and-daniel-tosh?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:5b7a0d99-0d55-4fd3-9c00-77375e0b2459Post:22bcd7da-70b6-424d-95b8-d57322bb437f">Re: Rape jokes and Daniel Tosh</a>:
    [QUOTE]Know what the funny part of this whole thing is? Ive never heard a rape joke that acutally jokes about the act of being raped.  Its always in the "you will probably get raped" context. ETA: Meaning jokes about rape and women <strong> The jokes about rape and men are always about the buttsex.</strong>

To keep it appropriate, just use the phrase, "Anally probed."
  • There are plenty of topics that don't seem funny, but if someone can make a good joke (IMO) about it, then doesn't that just mean the person is just very creative?

I've been reading funny twitter posts all day from when I clicked on #pennstate and although what happened isn't funny at all, some of the comments are. Should I feel guilty for laughing? Probably. But I don't.
  • I'm curious as to what you guys think of this blog post on rape jokes, addressed to men

http://oforganon.tumblr.com/post/11150747104/to-all-those-men-who-dont-think-the-rape-jokes-are-a

It's a little long-ish, but it's an easy read
    panther
  • Simply FatedSimply Fated member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited July 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_rape-jokes-and-daniel-tosh?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:5b7a0d99-0d55-4fd3-9c00-77375e0b2459Post:44c965d8-f6b2-4c5a-a791-e3f369927a0c">Re: Rape jokes and Daniel Tosh</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm curious as to what you guys think of this blog post on rape jokes, addressed to men <a href="http://oforganon.tumblr.com/post/11150747104/to-all-those-men-who-dont-think-the-rape-jokes-are-a" rel="nofollow">http://oforganon.tumblr.com/post/11150747104/to-all-those-men-who-dont-think-the-rape-jokes-are-a</a> It's a little long-ish, but it's an easy read
    Is that essay saying that all men encourage rapists to rape by laughing? I'm not quite sure what the writer is saying there.

I also think a lot of it is about intent. I hate it when people say things like, "It's okay, I'm RELIGION/NATIONALITY/ETHNICITY/WHATEVER, so I can make make jokes about that." No, if anything, you shouldn't be making jokes about that because if you really are those things, you know how hurtful some of those "jokes" can sometimes be. If you're going to make a joke about something, OWN IT. Don't make excuses for it. Don't try to back it up with how "I'm one of them, so I can joke about them."
  • Is it bad that I read "here's why I refuse to take rape jokes sitting down" and was all "Heh.  Heheh.  Buttsex.  Heh."

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_rape-jokes-and-daniel-tosh?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:5b7a0d99-0d55-4fd3-9c00-77375e0b2459Post:f5f90792-5c74-4c8a-bdcc-f2f0e44d7668">Re: Rape jokes and Daniel Tosh</a>:
    [QUOTE]Is it bad that I read "here's why I refuse to take rape jokes sitting down" and was all "Heh.  Heheh.  Buttsex.  Heh."
    Posted by NuggetBrain[/QUOTE]
    Buttsex is always funny.
  • NuggetBrainNuggetBrain member
    First Comment
    edited July 2012
    In seriousness though, I highly doubt that someone who thinks rape is okay now, is suddenly not going to think it's okay because people stop laughing at rape jokes. 

People make horrible jokes about 9/11 but I'm fairly sure that doesn't mean the majority of folks think it's okay to fly a 747 into a skyscraper because of it.  People who are going to do illegal things are going to do it regardless of how unaccepting society is of it.

The problem is that people rape because they think society is okay with it.  They KNOW they aren't. 

• edited July 2012
    Nuggs I've read your post a few times but I need some clarification.  First I agree with you that a rapist won't automatically think rape isn't okay if his friends stop laughing at rape jokes.  But where can we start with that?  If people rape because -as you say - they think society is okay with it - why do they think it's okay to rape?  If it's not rape jokes then what is it?  Because it can't just be like ONE thing, you know?

And what do you mean when you say at the end that they KNOW they aren't?
    panther
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_rape-jokes-and-daniel-tosh?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:5b7a0d99-0d55-4fd3-9c00-77375e0b2459Post:996c25c5-956a-488c-afe7-12270466bc98">Re: Rape jokes and Daniel Tosh</a>:
    [QUOTE]Nuggs I've read your post a few times but I need some clarification.  First I agree with you that a rapist won't automatically think rape isn't okay if his friends stop laughing at rape jokes.  But where can we start with that?  If people rape because -as you say - they think society is okay with it - <strong>why do they think it's okay to rape? </strong> If it's not rape jokes then what is it?  Because it can't just be like ONE thing, you know? And what do you mean when you say at the end that they KNOW they aren't?
    Either they were taught it's normal or they're effed up in the head.

Isn't it, like, most people who abuse were abused once themselves?
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_rape-jokes-and-daniel-tosh?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:5b7a0d99-0d55-4fd3-9c00-77375e0b2459Post:996c25c5-956a-488c-afe7-12270466bc98">Re: Rape jokes and Daniel Tosh</a>:
    [QUOTE]Nuggs I've read your post a few times but I need some clarification.  First I agree with you that a rapist won't automatically think rape isn't okay if his friends stop laughing at rape jokes.  But where can we start with that?  If people rape because -as you say - they think society is okay with it - why do they think it's okay to rape?  If it's not rape jokes then what is it?  Because it can't just be like ONE thing, you know? And what do you mean when you say at the end that they KNOW they aren't?

There are various reasons why people rape - sexual abuse in their own past, an intense need for power over their victim, a completely f*cked up mind.  But I bet if you ask a rapist why they raped someone, they're not going to say "well, I mean, everyone does it right?  Like, YOU'VE raped someone, right?"  unless they're trying to cover their own ass, much like tons of criminals do on a daily basis. I never for a moment think a rapist really rapes strictly because he's horny and he thinks society is okay with it. 

And they KNOW (aside from those who are mentally unstable) know it's wrong because you don't see them at the water cooler the next day all "Hey Bob, what did you do this weekend?  Fishing, huh?  Sounds fun.  Oh me?  I went to the movies, took a walk, raped a girl in the park.  Nothing much."  They might think in their own mind it's not wrong, but they know SOCIETY thinks it's wrong because if they didn't, they'd have no problem telling folks about it because they wouldn't expect to go to jail since everyone's a-ok with the rapings.

• Ah okay, I gotcha now Nugget.
    panther
  • In Response to Re:Rape jokes and Daniel Tosh:[QUOTE]I can't believe Jenna's never heard a dead baby joke. Like Mushu said, they were all the rage in those preteens years when kids try to be scandelous. Posted by cfaszews25[/QUOTE]

I never heard a dead baby joke until I read this thread. I definitely don't remember kids in middle school making cracks about dead babies. Rape jokes and dead baby jokes are not funny in the least.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards