Getting in Shape

Culinary Bride needing to gain some control over diet. Advice?

I'm in culinary school and you have no idea how hard it is to lose weight for your wedding when you prepare gourmet food every day! Help!
In a time when nothing is more certain than change, the commitment of two people to one another has become difficult and rare. Yet, by its scarcity, the beauty and value of this exchange have only been enhanced. ~Robert Sexton

Re: Culinary Bride needing to gain some control over diet. Advice?

• Maybe while you are tasting, count that as part of your meal and eat less?
  • I used to be a professional baker (and I went through culinary school). I know it is  hard to be around good food all the time and not eat! I don't really believe in "dieting" but I do think it's important to make good food choices. Here are a few things that kept me from eating a dozen sticky buns at a time:

1) I am an "intuitive" eater: I eat when I am hungry, and I stop when I am satisfied. In general, I don't eat when I am not hungry, even if the food looks good. I don't have the patience for calorie counting, but I really try to listen to the cues my body sends about what it wants and what is enough.

2) I don't deprive myself of something if I am hungry and it's something I really want to eat. Again, I stop when I am satisfied--and this happens pretty quickly when I am eating a rich food. This means I eat a cookie when I want a damn cookie--but because I don't deny myself, I don't feel the need to eat 7 cookies. (I'll admit that this really takes practice.)

3) I made the realization that I became a baker because I liked feeding people, not just because I like food (though believe me, I really really like food). It made me happy to see *other people* enjoying the food. Most of the bakers and chefs I've known are the same way; of course they love food, but they have the "need to feed", and it is immensely fulfilling for them to prepare and serve food to other people. I learned to gain satisfaction from that, rather than by eating the food myself.

4) I realized the physical aspects of the job (the *long* hours on my feet without a break, the hot kitchen, the heavy lifting) would be easier if I stayed in shape. I've always been a runner, but the first few months that I worked night shift at a bakery, I lost any motivation to get out and get my workout in. Eventually, I made sure to get out for a run before every shift--and I found that it made the physical aspect of my job SO MUCH EASIER.

I know that these are all kind of...philosophical, and maybe not easy solutions--but I also think that if you are in culinary school, you probably plan on working in a kitchen or a bakery as a career, so it's a good idea to have a long term plan! This post got longer than I anticipated, but I have been having some struggles with food lately, so I've been thinking about this stuff a lot. I hope it was at least a little useful?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards