Wedding Reception Forum

My reception site is too big! How do I fill it?

My FH and I booked a ballroom that we absolutely LOVE, but it's too large -- especially since our guest list shrank. The venue can hold up to 1,000 people, but it often hosts weddings between 60-200 guests. We're at about 100 people now. My question is, how do I fill this space so it doesn't swallow us whole? Any decoration ideas to fill the space -- without it looking like we're just trying to fill it -- would be greatly appreciated!!!

Oh yeah -- this is a large, circular ballroom/dance floor, with windows all around. Thanks again!!!

Re: My reception site is too big! How do I fill it?

• dark, dark, dark! light the room by candlelight and maybe some uplighting. 
  • why dont you ask them? since they also seem to host smaller weddings, tell them your concerns about the room. ask how the tables with be arranged and such to fill the space properly.
  • Uplighting for sure and try having large floral arrangements or decorations the spots where it is bare. Also, if it is in the budget, try to set up a "lounge area" with a couple couches. They're big and would take up space. Ask the venue coordinator what they think would work best.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Depends on budget, you could drape a fake wall to close the space. Do they have air walls at all? We are only using 3/4 of our ball room and we have an air wall to separate the rest. We are trying to use renting palm plants and uplighting, maybe draping to make it look prettier. We also have a lounge area.

We are also splitting up the bar to two sides and were thinking of having some lounge space be each bar to take up space. You can also make a larger dance floor.

We have this issue so I have thought about it a lot.
  • I'm going to run in to the same issue.. I was planning on having buffet stations going around the back of the room to take up space. And a dance floor.. but.. If the weather nice I plan on having alot of stuff outside.. and I fear the only thing left in the room will be the bar and food.. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards