Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

AH! Who do I listen to!?: To Boquet or to...not?

I have never been a big fan of the boquet. I would much prefer just to walk down with 3 blue irises and a sprig of lily grass in my hand, and at the end of the aisle give one iris to my mom, the other to my step mom. I figured my bridesmaids could each carry one iris (and perhaps a sprig of lily grass) and my maid of honor carry 2 irises.

However- my mom thinks, and I am afraid my family will thing as well, that I am "being cheap."

I just don't know if I should compromise on this one...or what. I am having such difficulty holding my ground...

Re: AH! Who do I listen to!?: To Boquet or to...not?

• http://offbeatbride.com/2009/03/wedding-bouquets

There are plenty of bouquet alternatives.  You should do whatever makes you most comfortable
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • i love the idea of giving one flower to your mom and one to your stepmom. go for it! if you love the look, hold your ground.
    Photobucket
  • Many people are going to have many ideas on what you should do for your wedding. You seem to know just what you want for your bouquet. I don't think that will look cheap at all. Plus it is what you want  :)

• Do what you want!  It is your wedding.  Explain to your mother what you want to do, and hopefully she will support you.  Lots of people are going for non-traditional, which is a great way to incorporate your personal style!
  • Ditto all pps. I think it sounds lovely and you should go what you want. I doubt anyone will think you're cheap and if someone did, who cares? It's not a bad thing not to have to spend $10k on flowers.
  • Do what makes you happy.  Yes, it is economical but it sounds like it would be very pretty as well.

Had I gone with everything my mother thought would be best, I'd have a replica of her wedding by now.
  • Do what YOU want to do.  This is not your mother's wedding.
  • I think it's a great idea. 

You're going to find that a lot of people have ideas about how weddings "should" be done.  There's no rhyme or reason; "that's just the way it's always been done."  As long as an idea you have isn't compromising your guests comfort, go for it, even if it's different.  Sure, people will comment, but for every lame-o who says "that's not how it's done," you're going to have 5 other people on your wedding day say "I've never seen that done before, that was REALLY COOL!" 
  • This is one of those occasions where I will say: "this is your day, do what you want".

This isn't something that's going to bring anybody physical or emotional discomfort, you're not really "effecting" anybody else by doing it this way, so why not do what makes you happy?

Like Heels said, for every one person who MIGHT have an issue with it (Which, what is your mom expecting? That some aunt in the middle of everything is going to say "That's not what a 'real' bouquet looks like!"?), there will be 5 that will think your idea is really awesome ... and 3 that probably didn't even notice that you did something "weird" (There really are people that unless you're sacrificing puppies in your wedding gown have no idea when something is "different" at a wedding).

If you fire a WP member, you're against America.

"Meg cracks me up on the regular. Now she gets to do it in two different forums. Yay!!" ~mkrupar
  • Wait, are you saying it was a bad idea to sacrafice puppies at my wedding?

::runs to bio to take down pictures of puppy ceremony::
  • do EXACTLY what you want. 
  • I actually think that is amazing idea and I am considering stealing it. Honestly, I hate flowers. I am not having flowers as my centerpieces and I have been contemplating on how to get away with not carrying a bouquet. I thiink it is an awesome idea and your mother needs to understand that this is not her wedding,
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards