Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums

DIY or Professional?

Did you do your own wedding-day make-up or have it done by a professional? I'm torn. Not because of the cost but because I worry that a professional will push me into something too dramatic and overdone. I usually wear minimal make-up (mascara, concealer, powder).
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: DIY or Professional?

• I wear makeup on a regular basis but I wanted something more dramatic for my wedding, which I knew I couldn't achieve by myself.  I also wanted to relax and be pampered so I had my makeup professionally done for those reasons.
  • I plan to do it myself because I don't wear makeup everyday (or ever) and needed to get comfortable. I had a Sephora makeover and bought good quality stuff to use and practice with. Even my fiance has to get used to it; he's never seen me in makeup either.
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • For my first wedding I had my make-up done professionally... I HATED it and I regret it... She felt like the make-up she put on my looked better than what I suggested... I even look back at pictures now and I still hate it... I will be doing my own this time around.
    Photobucket
  • I didn't vote beause I feel like this is a complex question. My mother is a makeup artist and I've been trained by her since childhood so I will be doing my own on the day of. But I'm only doing that because I feel comfortable with it. If I didn't know how to do it, however, I would definitely hire someone. Professional quality makeup is a huge difference from DIY and many professional makeup artists know how to make you up in a way that is appropriate for your specific event and for photographs, etc. My advice to you would be that it is DEFINITELY worth it to hire a professional--however, shop around. Check some reviews and ask your friends/family for recommendations. Also, you may want to do what my mom has her brides do when she does their makeup. She not only does a consultation before the big day to discuss and practice the brides particular style, but on the day of she literally goes step by step with the bride so there are no surprises. She does foundation, concealer and power and then shows the bride a mirror and asks "Is this enough coverage? Are they any areas you'd like to cover more?" and then she proceeds. She then does blush and bronzer and does the same thing "Is this enough? Too much?" Then she moves on to eyeshadow. She does this so if there is a mistake or the brides thinks there is too much she can remove just one area and not have to completely redo anything.

Best of luck to you!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-beauty_diy-or-professional?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:358Discussion:e715ad96-5b48-429a-b614-3993de820da6Post:08d4a4df-f7e0-4cf9-8aab-e4c6f1b55f56">Re: DIY or Professional?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I wear makeup on a regular basis but I wanted something more dramatic for my wedding, which I knew I couldn't achieve by myself.  I also wanted to relax and be pampered so I had my makeup professionally done for those reasons.
    Posted by stephiehall[/QUOTE]

Exactly this.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-beauty_diy-or-professional?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:358Discussion:e715ad96-5b48-429a-b614-3993de820da6Post:08d4a4df-f7e0-4cf9-8aab-e4c6f1b55f56">Re: DIY or Professional?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I wear makeup on a regular basis but I wanted something more dramatic for my wedding, which I knew I couldn't achieve by myself.  I also wanted to relax and be pampered so I had my makeup professionally done for those reasons.
    Yep yep yep. Due to my industry, I wear a full face every day & am knowledgeable in how to achieve a long-lasting look. Even so, I wanted to punch up the volume & also have an airbrush finish (which I can't do). Oh, and I wouldn't be able to take the stress of doing it myself & messing it up.
  • Part of the reason I'm DIY is because of my general uncomfortableness with makeup- as someone who never wears it, to be honest, I wanted to go completely without but after asking around on this forum, I kept getting a resounding "no" so I figured to get used to it. My look is very simple, ten steps in application (including primers,) and I have been practicing so I can put it on easily and quickly. When I had my makeup done professionally as a trial to see how what I wanted would look and how it was done, it turned out beautifully. But I seriously didn't blink for fear of messing up my face and my FI wasn't sure what he could "do," like kiss me. I'm sure wearing mascara doesn't seem like a big deal to a lot of people but if I yawn, I can have racoon eyes in an instant. I needed practice, which meant purchasing my own makeup anyway. If worse comes to worst, I'll go without, like I wanted to all along. But hopefully, my compromise works! 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-beauty_diy-or-professional?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:358Discussion:e715ad96-5b48-429a-b614-3993de820da6Post:08d4a4df-f7e0-4cf9-8aab-e4c6f1b55f56">Re: DIY or Professional?</a>:

This!  Also, we did a trial a few weeks before the wedding and I had her tweak some things that I didn't like.  Wedding day makeup was perfect!
    Anniversary
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-beauty_diy-or-professional?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:358Discussion:e715ad96-5b48-429a-b614-3993de820da6Post:3a9eeacc-9f95-4df7-8994-da59319abe75">Re: DIY or Professional?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Part of the reason I'm DIY is because of my general uncomfortableness with makeup- as someone who never wears it, to be honest, I wanted to go completely without but after asking around on this forum, I kept getting a resounding "no" so I figured to get used to it. My look is very simple, ten steps in application (including primers,) and I have been practicing so I can put it on easily and quickly. When I had my makeup done professionally as a trial to see how what I wanted would look and how it was done, it turned out beautifully. But I seriously didn't blink for fear of messing up my face and my FI wasn't sure what he could "do," like kiss me. I'm sure wearing mascara doesn't seem like a big deal to a lot of people but if I yawn, I can have racoon eyes in an instant. I needed practice, which meant purchasing my own makeup anyway. If worse comes to worst, I'll go without, like I wanted to all along. But hopefully, my compromise works! 
    Posted by random4180[/QUOTE]
    I'm not trying to convince you to change your mind, but just a few comments. If you were serious about the yawning giving you racoon eyes because of mascara, that right there is a reason to get it professionally done or at least purchase better quality cosmetics. Regarding your FI not knowing if he could touch you, that's unnecessary. Unless he rubs his face or smears his hand over your face, it would be really difficult to smudge professionally done makeup. With all of the primers and setting sprays/powders they use, it's not going anywhere. I totally understand if you're not comfortable with it, but perhaps you could have them do a more natural subtle look for you. Not everyone loves a super dramatic look.
  • Oh and just to add to the PP, my daughter was 15 the day of my wedding and had never worn makeup before (and hardly since).  My MUA did a light application and listened to what she said she wanted and my daughter looked beautiful and just like herself.  Not overdone in the least.

• Oh, I had raccoon eyes after having my makeup professionally done (I have really watery yawns? I dunno.) I may reconsider it but I don't know...I sweat through makeup pretty easily, I wipe my face a lot- I feel like I need makeup training (if that makes any sense!) Thanks for the advice.
  • I had professional do my makeup, and I wouldn't have it any other way.  I've never looked better in my life and I never would have been able to do as good of a job as she did.
    photo trex2_zps7ab4e9b0.jpg
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Random: Apropos of your comment, I just wanted to mention that I have had the same problem with eye makeup for a long time, and after trying a whole lotta different brands and types, including many of the the higher end Sephora type stuff, the products I've found to work the best are Loreal "Infallible" eyeliner and "Voluminous" mascara in waterproof. I can go 16 hours or more in that stuff and have little to no raccoon eye. Just FYI. :-)
    What has four thumbs and is totally stoked about getting married? These people!! Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards