Registry and Gift Forum

Not sure who gift is from??

What are your suggestions if you have received wedding gifts with no cards??  We have 2 sets of gifts that we have no idea who they came from!  I don't want anyone to think we are ungrateful when they don't receive a thank you note!!

Re: Not sure who gift is from??

• Were the items bought off your registering?  If so, you should be able to call the company and tell them it was sent without a card and you need to know who it's from.
  • We got one like that.  I started asking my close friends to tactfully mention the rouge muffin pan.  It turned out that it was from a girlfriend who is really close with my sister, so when my sis told her about it, she called me.  Had it been a distant family member, I would have been screwed.

Definately start with the store, but if it wasn't shipped, they may not know. 

Hopefully if nothing else, they will follow up if they haven't recieved a thank you.  They'll want to know you got it.
  •  A friend of mine had the same problem, she sent thank you cards to eveyone. She said it was not until her 4th year of marriage when she was using the glass pitcher that her cousin said wow you still use that pitcher i got you for your wedding. I will learn from my friend eveyone will receve a thank you card just for attending the wedding.

• Process of elimintation should help too. I'm sure everyone gave a gift but asking the people who didn't could turn embarrassing real fast if they didn't actually get you a gift.
    Most stores track it for you like the PP's said, or just ask around someone will know who got it.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_not-sure-gift?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:93a86527-fade-4050-8650-04f7e71dfce0Post:1be6bb67-27a5-4f1a-b0ea-ac577d19f5e9">Re: Not sure who gift is from??</a>:
    [QUOTE] A friend of mine had the same problem, she sent thank you cards to eveyone. She said it was not until her 4th year of marriage when she was using the glass pitcher that her cousin said wow you still use that pitcher i got you for your wedding. I will learn from my friend eveyone will receve a thank you card just for attending the wedding.
    Posted by SHAWNEE31[/QUOTE]
    an honest question: how did she pull that off, since thank you cards are supposed to specifically reference the gift they gave you? "Thank you for toaster! DH and I will spend many mornings having breakfast made with the toaster, yadayadayada." isn't that the proper way to write a thank you note?

Glenna Harding Photography
  • Pooh, we did the same thing because we wanted to thank everyone for attending.  The people who sent a gift got something like:

Dear Aunt Sally,

Thank you for helping us celebrate our marriage!  We are so glad you were able to attend.  It was very special for us to be able to share the day with you.  Thank you also for the toaster.  We can't wait to get it up and running for some yummy toast in the mornings!

Thanks again,

LouLou and Georgie-boy

Those who did not bring a gift:

Dear Aunt Sally,

Thank you so much for celebrating our marriage with us!  It was so great to see you and have time to visit.  We really appreciate you taking the time to share in our day.  We hope you enjoyed yourself; we certainly had a great time!  Thanks again for coming. We look forward to seeing you soon!

Love,
    LouLou and Georgie-boy

When they get the thank you and it doesn't mention a gift, if they sent one it is likely they'll call to find out if the gift arrived.  Problem solved!
  • No need to overcomplicate this.  Just call the store, they'll tell you.  And I'm going to have to advocate against process of elimination; one of the larger gifts we got had no card attached and we later found out it was from one of DH's aunts who had already given us like 8 other gifts.  But calling the store is quick and easy if the gift was mailed to you.

You can also ask your parents, etc. if they saw anyone deliver the gift if it came at the wedding.  One of my BMs gave me a small jewelry box w/ a card attached and put it in the card box, but in the hustle and bustle of it all the card got detached. I asked my mom if she saw who brought the small box with the daisy on it and she said she thought she saw BM, which turned out to be true.  So there are a couple ways of going about this that don't make you seem like the gift police.  Good luck!
    Courtesy of megk8oz
    "I think bablingbrooke is the 13 yr old marring her cousin at the town hall. Lets all give her a big hand. And hope her inbred children can live normal lives." -tabs.

A word of warning from your friends at Cracked.com: Remember that text is going to be how you make your first impression over the internet; if every third word you type is misspelled, people will automatically assume that you're a moron.
  • We received one gift without a card (ironically, the first gift we opened).  We're almost positive it is from the reverend.  Should we reference the gift in the thank you if we're almost 99% sure it's from her?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • For stahlop: If you're pretty sure of the origin of the gift, call the person to verify. Just explain the card was missing and that you want to be sure the thank-you is going to the right person.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards