Honeymoon Discussions

Riviera Maya VS. Hotel Zone

We are searching for our honeymoon on Apple Vacations. I am curious people's opinions on Cancun/Riviera Maya vs. Cancun/Hotel Zone? Also suggestions are welcome. I stumbled upon Secrets today which looked nice!
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Riviera Maya VS. Hotel Zone

• I prefer a more quiet, relaxing environment, and that is definitely what you get in Riviera Maya.  I have been to both, and thought Riviera was much nicer.  We are actually getting married in Cancun (at a hotel that allows children), then moving to Secrets Maroma Beach in Riviera Maya for our honeymoon.

Also, just a suggestion with Apple/Funjet vacations...if they put you on a flight through AeroMexico, pay the extra for a different airline (assuming you have that option).  We just used them last June to go to Riviera Maya, and thought the service on the airline was poor.  Rude flight attendants, and we ended up being 5 hours late...on a direct flight.

Let me know if you want any pictures or anything...both places are amazing and I think you will LOVE wherever you choose!
    Anniversary
  • Thanks! I would love to see some pictures! We will make sure to avoid that airline. I have heard its very close to the airport if you are in Cancun hotel zone. Is riviera much further?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • No, I think it took us maybe 20-30 minutes to get to the resort.  But, we did buy a private transfer, so it was just us and one other couple in an SUV, and we didn't have to stop at a million other resorts to let people off like you would in the busses, so I'm sure that saved us quite a bit of time.  If you want to PM me with your email address, I can send you pictures from our trip this June.  We stayed at El Dorado Royale, and it absolutely exceeded all of our expectations!
    Anniversary
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_riviera-maya-vs-hotel-zone?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:11Discussion:49db21cc-19dc-4cc5-aea9-1b6a2b39b3bfPost:16345074-8ada-4f98-8d68-8db13e58c81b">Re: Riviera Maya VS. Hotel Zone</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks! I would love to see some pictures! We will make sure to avoid that airline. I have heard its very close to the airport if you are in Cancun hotel zone. Is riviera much further?
    Posted by agrzecka[/QUOTE]
    RM runs from cancun for about 3 hours south towards Belize. where you stay will determine if it's closer or not. where you stay on the hotel zone (kulkulcan blvd) will also determine how close. PDC is about an hour give or take from the airport. downtown cancun is about 40 mins. tulum is about 2 hours. check out a map and see the distance.
    dh and i have a timeshare in cancun on the hotel zone and go every december. it's downright quiet down there-the entire area is pretty quiet outside the downtown nucleus of restaurants/bars/shops. we also stay a few nights on RM (different resorts) before our timeshare week.
    i prefer cancun for a few reasons: 1) on rm unless you're staying IN or right outside of playa del carmen or tulum there's nothign there!! i like to get a quick 5 mintue walk or cab or bus ride to a number of great restaurants in cancun, do a bit of shopping etc.. in RM some resorts are so far its a 30, 45 minute ride each way. i'm not ok with that-too much of a to do for dinner. 2) cancun has some great upscale shops and restaurants thta I haven't seen in playa del carmen or tulum
    3) i like to have things to do right outside my door. i don't really like to sit around on the beach for a week with no convenient easy quick way of getting to someplace else.
    over the years (we've gone 7 decembers in a row now) i've really gotten to love what cancun and RM hav to offer0but i still prefer cancun.
    also re: aeromexico-i've flown them a few times from/to CUN and JFk. I've never had an issue.

• @ alithebride:

Where would you recommend in those areas?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • We're staying at Secrets Maroma for our HM Oct18-25th.

Like one of the pp's said book a private transfer from Cancun airport (from what I understand it's not very far).  Oct 2008 we used Apple/Funjet for my bro's DW at Iberostar.  The ride took about an hour because we were on a huge tour bus and stopped at every resort on the way to drop people off.

When my bro went back for their anniversary they used Apple again but got the private transfer, so it's a small van.  As soon as they found the van, they told the driver to leave.  The driver hesistated and said he needed to wait for the van to fill up and my SIL said "no, we paid for a private transfer and want to leave now" and they did.  They were checked in w/in 30 minutes of getting their luggage at the airport.  FI and I asked our travel agent about this approach and she confirmed that we can do this.

Cancun seems so college/party to me. Riveria Maya is more relaxing and lots of HM'ers...plus you can go into Cancun if you're looking for something to do, but can go back and relax.

Secrets Maroma all the way! :O)
  • I absolutely HATED Cancun. Hated it. Will never return. We were there briefly, in the hotel zone, and I was horrified. The hotels were okay, but it was just that- a bunch of hotels. And just full of Americans. Ordering Bud Lights. Rudely and loudly. With a bunch of all-inclusive bracelets on their arms. **Shudder** But I generally hate that type of stuff (like you couldn't pay me enough money to go on a cruise).

Then again...it was in the spring, so maybe it's nicer when it's not full of spring breakers. I'm never going back to find out, though.

We're going to Playa del Carmen for the honeymoon. We've heard it's much nicer. But we like quieter places, and the chance to explore a little more.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • inw hich places? there were  abunch that I wrote and thre are TONS of resorts.
    lulu-"The hotels were okay, but it was just that- a bunch of hotels. And just full of Americans. Ordering Bud Lights. Rudely and loudly. With a bunch of all-inclusive bracelets on their arms. " sorry you had that experience. i've never seen that in the 7 times ive been. esp bud light-that's barfy anywhere LOL

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards