Wedding Reception Forum

Boring wedding?

So, I've never actually been to a wedding which has made planning my own wedding a bit difficult. I think I am doing pretty well, but I am worried about the wedding being boring. There will be all the traditional toasts, first dance, father/daughter dance, bouquet/garter toss, etc. I was wondering if anybody has done anything else to make dancing not the only option of the night. I want everyone to have fun and I know not everyone likes to dance. I've looked up game ideas online and they all seem kinda corny and have mixed reviews. And since I have never been to a wedding I haven't witnessed this in person so help is much appreciated! 

Re: Boring wedding?

• Anything above the usual almost always ends up looking forced to me.  I'm sure your guests are capable of entertaining themselves if you provide drinks, food, and the opportunity to socialize.

Heck, I've been to weddings without dancing that were great.  Grownups generally do not find the need to be "entertained" at an event that is meant to be social in nature.
  • Games at a wedding would have me hiding in the hall or bathroom or even leaving early.  I would be uncomfortable and in a crappy mood the whole time.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I've been to plenty of weddings with dancing and I'm never on the dance floor.  That doesn't mean I'm not having a good time, though.  I'm usually talking to our friends, or even taking photos with my own camera!

In other words...don't panic.  

If you're looking for other options, one of the things we're doing is a photobooth--but not a "traditional" photobooth that gives you 3 little photos.  Our photographer is actually doing it for us.  She's bringing some fun props, a dry erase board where people can write messages, etc.  Part of our photography package is that we get the rights to all the photos, so everyone will get copies of their photos.

• I recently went on a weekend work retreat.  Now, usually that's the sort of event where the cringe-worthy "icebreaker" games are expected.  What sort of "icebreaker" did we have?  Vodka, Pandora, and a pool table.  And I guarantee we had more fun and came out working better as a team than any corporate-friendly organized activity could have managed.

The point?  The elements that make a good party are good food, good booze, and good company.  That's all you need for people to be able to have fun.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • 3 elements to a great party:  food, booze and good music (don't play too many slow songs - keep the party mood going).  Its all you need!  You will have a blast.  No worries.
  • We're also having a photo booth-

It's going to be so funny seeing the photo strips get progessively funnier and funnier throughout the night! We have a conventional photo booth but guests get to take a strip home with them and put 1 strip in a guest book for us to take home and keep!!

Also having a candy bar! a fun way to keep the guests satisfied!! who doesn't like candy!?

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_boring-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:8a488c03-ad9a-431f-8377-a94753464a91Post:1a85ae8a-5f30-4497-9e27-ca265ec83fe5">Re: Boring wedding?</a>:
    [QUOTE]3 elements to a great party:  food, booze and good music (don't play too many slow songs - keep the party mood going).  Its all you need!  You will have a blast.  No worries.
    Posted by leah2b[/QUOTE]

Ditto this exactly! All I look for at a wedding is good food, free booze, and good music to dance to. DH and I usually have a blast at weddings, and we just love to get up and dance. No need to provide games if you have the above 3 mentioned.
  • I may get thrown off the board, but here goes.  Truthfully, most weddings are really boring for the guests.  We attend weddings to celebrate with a friend or a loved one; we are not expecting the social event of the season.  The real reason they're boring is because most brides and even the grooms want the traditional toasts, dances, tosses, cakes, etc.  The one wedding that for me is the most memorable was the one where the bride rejected almost every wedding cliche.  She had about 50 people.  The food was extraordinary.  She had a string quartet playing throughout the reception and dinner; there was no dancing, but everyone could talk to everyone, and it was small enough that everyone did get to talk to everyone.  Also no wedding cake, which personally I think tastes like sawdust with Crisco.  She had a beautiful pastry of some sort that was absolutely heavenly.  And, of course, no tosses of bouquet/garter.

I have also been to the "traditional" weddings where the food was dreadful and  the music deafening, and I have made my escape as soon as possible. 

I would suggest you let your imagination run wild and have the wedding that reflects who you are and try to avoid as many of the wedding cliches as possible or modify them to suit your unique personality.  Incidentally, you'll probably also save a lot of money.

Oh yes, about the games.  I don't think so!!!!
  • At our wedding, the $100 a plate dinner didn't make much of an impression (which breaks my heart.  I could've saved my parents' money right and left).  What did get people talking and interacting was the EPIC dessert buffet (mostlye DIY except for our beautiful cake and the gorgeous Italian pastries) and the gourmet coffee bar.  Plus copious amounts of alcohol (great bar) and music (great band).
    Here's the thing:  the people who attend your wedding are there because they love you.  They want to celebrate your union,  And that is what you do with a reception--food, booze, music, and a couple of newlyweds bursting with happiness.  Don't worry so much!  It's your wedding, so do what you makes you happy!
    "The only true currency in this bankrupt world... is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." -Lester Banks, Almost Famous
  • The last wedding I went to the bride had the DJ bring props for the guests to have. Cheap neon plastic sunglasses, inflatable guitars, plastic hats, glow necklaces etc. They were fun and silly and made the dance floor really entertaining!
  • It reaaaaally depends on your wedding venue. One of my good friends is getting married outside and the reception is also outside. There will be lawn games and fun music instead of the traditional things.

Don't stretch too far -- some people go to weddings expecting the "norm" and even hoping for it.
  • We plan to have music and dancing for those who are so inclined, and the usual toasts and first dance, father-daughter, mother-son, and "who's been married the longest" dance (I already warned my mom that she and my dad, who are not dancers, are going to win, but that I picked a nice short song for them - Ingrid Michaelson's "The Way I Am", aka "The Sweater Song"). 

However, a lot of my crowd are not dancers either.  My fiance's family has always been big on family game night, so we thought it would be funny to have some games (Apples to Apples, Connect 4, Trivial Pursuit, dominos, etc) available for people to fool around with.  We are hoping this will be a hit with our cousins who have kids under the age of 10 as well, and will keep them hanging around the reception past 8:00 pm!
  • We come from gamer stock and my family is huge on rock band and other games. Only his side has alot of dancers. Even the FI does not dance. I'm a historical reinactor so I guess  I dance but I'm not sure how a colonial waltz or reel would go over. Best to do without. We're not very traditional people. :/

We're having a DJ/Band (FI's father's in fact) with games and more quiet places inside and a room set up with rockband. A dance floor alone would bore half of our guests to tears. We'll be getting a workout tracking down people to talk with everyone!
    Wedding planning land is not friendly to feminists.
  • We are ditching a lot of traditions.  Keeping the dance floor, skipping the dj, and adding a karaoke hour.  (95% of our family loves it).  We are also having it much less formal, and adding a variety of desserts and foods.  The reception is small-ish (75), so we are booking a lounge.  It is going to be fun relaxed and hopefully, not boring.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_boring-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:8a488c03-ad9a-431f-8377-a94753464a91Post:e57ab100-6077-4e02-876d-b10af2a7e641">Re: Boring wedding?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Games at a wedding would have me hiding in the hall or bathroom or even leaving early.  I would be uncomfortable and in a crappy mood the whole time.
    Posted by mysticl[/QUOTE]
    ditto
  • I love the photo booth idea... I just sent our photographer an email requesting this option :) Thanks for sharing!
  • We're doing tons of stuff. Here's some ideas that we're doing...Our first dance will be a funny treat for the crowd, it will be a "beauty and the beast" mock up. We're doing a garter toss gag, garter relay race for male volunteers,  we're having our Chinese lion dance team perform, and our DJ has a "wedding wheel" game for people that want us to kiss. They have to spin the wheel, if they land on the "kiss" option, we kiss, but if not...they have to do what the option says.
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimageimageimage
  • I definitely agree with what a lot of people have already said: food, liquor, music, and company are what makes a wedding great. The best weddings I have been to had great food, lively music, liquor, and a lot of fun people. It does depend on where you're having the reception though; we're having ours at a hotel that allows you to borrow their pool table for the night...how cool is that?? So if people want to get on the dance floor, they can...or they can opt for something more low-key. No games...just makes things awkward since not everyone knows each other. Just don't try too hard...if you don't want a dance floor, at least stick with mostly upbeat songs for those who want to get up and boogie. :) People are usually good about entertaining themselves as long as they have the basics...and know at least one other person there.
  • I was planning to get a photo booth.  Something for the guests to do for fun and a gift to you, you get a disc of all pics.  It's not a booth per se, but you get the idea.  I believe The Knot has some booth rental companies on their website.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards