Military Brides

Vents?

Re: Vents?

• I like your back up plan Sammy!
  • I can't quote on my iPad but Rachel, can I ask how old you are? I ask because I don't remember the last time my dad forced me not to do something
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Rachel, I was wondering the same thing as Hike. I mean, I generally try to be considerate of my parents feelings/ wishes because I live with them, but I still do what I want for the most part. It doesn't sound like he's actually okay with the wedding IMHO. Or maybe he feels weird about it because you'll be alone with your FI and that means sex and dad's don't like to think about their daughters having sex. Sammy. I love you. That is all.
    Photobucket
  • I stalke Rachel's previous post and she's 19. And um yeah I can see why your dad didn't want you to get married when you wanted to.
  • http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_grrr-1 Rachel says her age in this one And now I'm goin to be a biitch. Your vent does not exactly make me think you are mature. It pretty much seems the opposite of mature. I'm not saying your dad might not be acting like a jerk, but asking you to wait to get married is not a symptom of that.
  • Okay, if I was 19, I can see my dad having some rules. Also, if I was 19? No way in hell is dad paying for my wedding.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_vents?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:09757a4f-ffdd-452a-962a-350d3912aacePost:505e2584-e34e-4fa0-95ec-50c91c0636e6">Re: Vents?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Okay, if I was 19, I can see my dad having some rules.

Also, if I was 19? No way in hell is dad paying for my wedding.
    Posted by LetsHikeToday[/QUOTE]

My parents would legit laugh at me and then ignore me. They wouldn't take me seriously.
  • My parents would have never EVERRRRR let me sleep over a guys house at 19.I hate to say it, Rachel, but your dad has a point about not letting you get married so soon. Kudos to you for listening, though. I know it's hard, and I'm going to sound like a parent right now, but it's for your own good. He's protecting you.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_vents?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:09757a4f-ffdd-452a-962a-350d3912aacePost:b66a5f07-b7f2-4458-9ee2-90c331d50835">Re: Vents?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Vents? :
    My parents would legit laugh at me and then ignore me. They wouldn't take me seriously.
    Posted by ggirl2001[/QUOTE]

True story.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_vents?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:09757a4f-ffdd-452a-962a-350d3912aacePost:a3c4f031-e75d-4fa8-b4b5-faa06bc18996">Re: Vents?</a>:
    [QUOTE]My parents would have never EVERRRRR let me sleep over a guys house at 19.I hate to say it, Rachel, but your dad has a point about not letting you get married so soon. Kudos to you for listening, though. I know it's hard, and I'm going to sound like a parent right now, but it's for your own good. He's protecting you.
    Posted by CAB1217[/QUOTE]

You're such a good mod.

:-)
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • I don't even like my mom to think of me and H and we are married and OLD! . EEEEEWWW I just grossed myself out.  HAAA

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_vents?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:09757a4f-ffdd-452a-962a-350d3912aacePost:57e67edf-284e-41f9-ad5b-c3ae3a4f4536">Re: Vents?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Vents? : You're such a good mod. :-)

Awww shucks! Thanks! :)
  • CAB - sorry to hear your day was bad from the very start.  You deserve that bottle (or so) of wine =) 

Vent: One of my best friends was supposed to come visit this weekend while she was home since I haven't seen her since the wedding.  She even texted me earlier this week saying she'd call later to make plans.  Then she texts me yesterday saying she decided to go to pittsburgh for the weekend instead of coming home so she basically ditched me.  I guess I could use the extra time to catch up on school work and stuff, but I'm still really disappointed.  I feel like this whole not following through on things is becoming a trend with this particular friend, and it's really starting to annoy me. 

My day was made better though when I won a Qdoba gift card in a drawing!

Also, I'm pretty sure I still had a curfew when I was 19 and home from college haha!  And that was b/c I'd stay at (my now) H's house too late and the garage door would wake them up when I'd slip in...and I think it made them uncomfortable.  Anyways, I don't have much room to talk since I'm still pretty young (22), but I'm definitely a different person now than I was a few years ago.  I'm glad your respecting your dad's wishes to wait a little, though Rachel.
  • lrh- I can't quote you on my iPad but sorry your friend ditched you. However, I'd give all my limbs to be in Pittsburgh this weekend: my mom and dad, pirmantis, homemade Perogies, Pamela pancakes... Actually, all my limbs but my right arm, so I could eat.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Thanks, Irh. The day has gotten worse. Really just annoying stuff now. Like I went back to SS today to get my named changed with my birth cert. in hand since they told me I needed it to prove the correct spelling of my first name... So yeah, waited an hour and a half for them to be all, "oh, you don't need that." Uhhhh, fucck you very much! I could have not lost out on hours at work! The girl last time was insisting that I bring it! ARGGGG! Whatever, it's done. Now H is telling me to get my passport done, expedited and over night shipped (72.72 dollars when it could have been free) so that we can make sure it's here on time for June. LOL. I hate parting with all that money when I know it can be done for free if not expedited and over nighted.
  • Cab: don't expedite the passport. You will get it before June. You've got a while! Don't pay the extra money, also they've been pretty quick with passports the past few years. Last time I renewed mine, I got it in less than a month. ;)
  • edited March 2012

Apparently I was a slutty rebel because at 19 I was already done with my first year of college onto my second, living with roommates and H would sleep over during his infrequent trips home for the holidays. ROFL.

But I also know that when you live w/ your parents they have Veto/Excutive Power.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_vents?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:09757a4f-ffdd-452a-962a-350d3912aacePost:d1222d22-748a-44b6-b705-c9f56697d6d3">Re: Vents?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks, Irh. The day has gotten worse. Really just annoying stuff now. Like I went back to SS today to get my named changed with my birth cert. in hand since they told me I needed it to prove the correct spelling of my first name... So yeah, waited an hour and a half for them to be all, "oh, you don't need that." Uhhhh, fucck you very much! I could have not lost out on hours at work! The girl last time was insisting that I bring it! ARGGGG! Whatever, it's done. Now H is telling me to get my passport done, expedited and over night shipped (72.72 dollars when it could have been free) so that we can make sure it's here on time for June. LOL. I hate parting with all that money when I know it can be done for free if not expedited and over nighted.

True Story, I still haven't updated my passport and wont until 2016 when it expires.  
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_vents?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:09757a4f-ffdd-452a-962a-350d3912aacePost:8c92dd61-7524-49c3-b876-d2db6525c029">Re: Vents?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Apparently I was a slutty rebel because at 19 I was already done with my first year of college onto my second, living with roommates and H would sleep over during his infrequent trips home for the holidays. ROFL. But I also know that when you live w/ your parents they have Veto/Excutive Power.
    Posted by shan87[/QUOTE]

Yeah, my boyfriend slept over too but getting married? Hell no.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_vents?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:09757a4f-ffdd-452a-962a-350d3912aacePost:8c92dd61-7524-49c3-b876-d2db6525c029">Re: Vents?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Apparently I was a slutty rebel because at 19 I was already done with my first year of college onto my second, living with roommates and H would sleep over during his infrequent trips home for the holidays. ROFL. But I also know that when you live w/ your parents they have Veto/Excutive Power.
    Posted by shan87[/QUOTE]

<p>Don't get me wrong, I was a totally slutty rebel. I was just not an over night slutty rebel. </p>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_vents?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:09757a4f-ffdd-452a-962a-350d3912aacePost:fbded84f-4b3e-49df-b5a9-9c0bbc448ed6">Re: Vents?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Vents? : Yeah, my boyfriend slept over too but getting married? Hell no.

idk what my Parent's would think. It wasn't on my radar then, and I don't see why it is for other ppl. I'm sheltered I guess.

Even after we were engaged my Mom wouldn't let H sleep over. Her House Her Rules.
  • My H was allowed to sleep in my bed AFTER we got engaged, but before, when he would stay over, we would sleep in separate rooms. And there was no sneaking into each others rooms, either. I also did not sleep in H's room when we were not engaged. It was always the spare rooms for us. I did not have a guy sleep over my house (in another room) til I was about 26. I did not sleep over a guys house until I was 28.
  • At both our parents' houses we weren't allowed to sleep together either. Well my parents were okay after the engagement, but H's mom is really old school and we didn't sleep together there til after we were married. LOL
  • My parents and H's parents live about a mile away from each other, so we never really had an excuse to sleep over at each others' houses.  But we were both away at school two hours apart, so we would spend weekends together.  The first time H visited me at school when I was a freshman, I told my mom he would be sleeping on the floor in my room (not true, but i thought it would make her feel BETTER about him spending the weekend), and she about flipped out haha!  But she soon realized I was an adult got over it.

And ditto Kara on the passport...mine was here within a month or so.
  • Now I'm more than a little pissed. FI has this thing about wanting one of those monstrously expensive  Margaritaville margarita machines. Want to know how many times we've made Margaritas? That's a zero. Want to know how many times I've seen him drink one? Maybe one. But he likes the machinery, so during our conversation about this, I said it might be a good compromise for us to find a really kick-ass blender and register for it as kind of a big ticket item. Right now we have an $8 Wal-Mart blender, and I'd love to have a new one. Plus, blender=multi-purpose. I tell him to just get a cheap one if they (he and his classmates live in a suite-style room) really want to use one.

I call him to say happy weekend and ask about his day and he and his classmates are making margaritas. I can hear the blender in the background. I ask if he bought one, and he says yes. I ask how much it was. He says $40. Now, I realize that's not a ton of money, but it's a lot for something that's one off that we don't really need. Plus, I can't really justify registering for a totally awesome one now, because $40 seems like it's probably a good blender, so replacing it seems silly. The bigger issue come from the fact that he's lately gotten onto this "we have to budget" and "let's look at how we're spending money" kick. But he wants to buy a $120 guitar so he can practice there. He has 2 guitars here that he doesn't know how to play,  he could've taken either of those, but I know he's wanted this ridiculous "Captain America" one, so this is just an excuse. He has a birthday coming up in June, and I'd be happy to get that guitar for him then, but right now, with all the wedding deposits going in, is a really bad time for spending. We probably shouldn't have bought each other anything for Valentine's at all, but that's water under the bridge.

So, all together, that's going to be $160. That's over half of our security deposit for the venue. I had also called to go over what we owed the venue, and he just shut down. I've been really up front with him about costs, asked his input every step of the way, and now he acts like I'm spoiling his fun because these are things we actually have to pay for. My parents are helping some, but I think he thinks they, and my grandmother, are going to help us out at every turn, and that's not going to happen. Yes, my grandmother has money, but that's her money, and she's already offered to pay for my dress, which is more than generous. And she'll probably throw something else in, and we're talking about using a CD that's in her name and my name for a car, so I really feel like my family is being more than generous. 

And I know I'm not working full time, yet, but I've really economized without him here, I don't go out, I've eaten out/take-out maybe twice, I haven't bought anything that's just for me, I haven't taken up the first spouse's offer to hang out and go shopping or get pedis. I'm cool with that, I realize that we have to really save. It just kind of pisses me off that he's so hell bent on getting money back from his per diem account that he's spending money on things like food out of his own back account, when that's what the per diem is there for, and we won't see that money til probably June. And there will be things that have to be paid before then.

Sorry, that got long. 
  • I'm venting that the word douchecanoe is not acceptable word on Word With Friends.

Not. Cool.
    Photobucket
  • I wanted to add about the passport thing, you can still use your passport right now Cab. You don't need to renew it yet, as long as you book your trips in your maiden name, it'll be fine. I've been married a year and still have not renewed my passport! ;)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_vents?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:09757a4f-ffdd-452a-962a-350d3912aacePost:0d9ec056-7fbd-44b5-97d0-953f9ac702b2">Re: Vents?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I wanted to add about the passport thing, you can still use your passport right now Cab. You don't need to renew it yet, as long as you book your trips in your maiden name, it'll be fine. I've been married a year and still have not renewed my passport! ;)
    Posted by kara811[/QUOTE]

Even though I changed my name today? Oy... this shhit is confusing.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_vents?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:09757a4f-ffdd-452a-962a-350d3912aacePost:2543932e-d82a-4a41-ae2d-a38992f76edc">Re: Vents?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Vents? : Even though I changed my name today? Oy... this shhit is confusing.

I'm pretty sure that's correct!  As long as the name on your plane ticket matches the name on your passport.  So if you book the trip w/ your maiden name and give them your current passport, they'll never know!  Also, I don't know when you got your passport, but you have a year from the date it was issued to change your name on it with no cost.  So even if you decide to keep your current one for this trip, make sure you still send in the paperwork if that applies!

Where are you going btw? I probably missed that in another thread. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_vents?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:09757a4f-ffdd-452a-962a-350d3912aacePost:ef8262c0-84be-4b9a-accb-ad231fccfeec">Re: Vents?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Vents? : I'm pretty sure that's correct!  As long as the name on your plane ticket matches the name on your passport.  So if you book the trip w/ your maiden name and give them your current passport, they'll never know!  Also, I don't know when you got your passport, but you have a year from the date it was issued to change your name on it with no cost.  So even if you decide to keep your current one for this trip, make sure you still send in the paperwork if that applies! <strong>Where are you going btw? I probably missed that in another thread. 
    </strong>Posted by lrh17[/QUOTE]

No worries! I am going to Nicaragua with my H for a mission trip. He will be doing his dental thing, and I will be a translator/hygenist. It's gonna be very, very awesome!
    I just found out today that I will need to get a ton of shots for the trip :/
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards