Wedding Etiquette Forum

Replying to invitation

Hi everyone:

My friend who lives in France sent me a facebook message to update me that she is engaged (I already knew but we hadn't talked since her engagement) and to let me know that they are having a wedding in France this summer and then a celebration in Canada in September. She asked me for my address and said that she'd totally understand if I couldn't make it to the one in France. I wrote her back with my address and I told her that I wouldn't be able to attend the one in France but would love to go to the Canadian celebration. She wrote back and totally understood. Now I have received my invitation which is only to the France wedding and she already knows that I am not able to attend.

I'm assuming that I still need to mail her the reply card? Even though she already knows that I'm not coming? Otherwise I'm sure she wouldn't have sent me a reply card, right?

Re: Replying to invitation

• Yes, mail the reply card back. 
    Whatever you hatters be hattin. -Tay Prince
  • I would mail the return card back with my response. I would not inquire about the Canadian celebration unless she brings it up again.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • You must absolutely mail the reply card - that's what they're for.  Even though she figured you couldn't come, she likely sent you the invitation incase something happened and you were able to.  Sending your reply gives her a firm, 100% yes or no on whether you are coming, and she needs that info for her head count. As of right now, your status is only a tentative no.
  • Yes, mail back the card, she might not be handling keeping track of the response cards.  My mom is handling my response cards, so telling me or my FMIL may not get it back to the person actually keeping track of whose responses are in, or keep a record if my mom doesn't write it down right away.
  • Mail the reply card.  Even though she knows you aren't coming, it's helpful to have all the responses in one place, especially when you're going through 100+ people on a list.  She may also have someone helping her do the count, who won't automatically know about the conversation.  
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_replying-to-invitation?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:34ef1527-e712-405a-a086-da4e940d0141Post:20737932-12ae-4e7c-a8fd-461bef29c851">Re: Replying to invitation</a>:
    [QUOTE]You must absolutely mail the reply card - that's what they're for.  Even though she figured you couldn't come, she likely sent you the invitation incase something happened and you were able to.  Sending your reply gives her a firm, 100% yes or no on whether you are coming, and she needs that info for her head count. As of right now, your status is only a tentative no.
    Posted by goobersinlove[/QUOTE]

Okay thanks ladies! I'm off to go buy postage and get it mailed out right now. I just wanted to make sure. I appreciate your advice! I don't need any more responses although they are welcome because as I said- I'm off to mail it now! :) :)
  • I'd also not worry about the Canadian celebration yet.  It's possible there may be a separate invitation for that.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards