May 2013 Weddings
Options

Behind on planning, where to start?

So I knew that wedding planning would have to be put on the backburner while I was in school this last semester. Then we bought a house, moved over Christmas, had some family drama and work got crazy. The next thing I know, the wedding is in 4 months and I still have all these things to do:

Book a photographer, cake baker, DJ, hair/makeup and florist
Block rooms
Alter wedding dress
Settle on BM dresses and GM attire
Buy wedding bands
Buy invitations
Register for gifts
Book honeymoon hotels
Plan rehearsal dinner

There are probably other things but this is what comes to mind.

Can you wonderful and organized posters help me determine which of these are crucial to get done first? All of the timeline lists I find online (including my to-do list on TK) contradict one another and I'm curious what you all felt that you waited too long to book and why?

TIA for your help.

Re: Behind on planning, where to start?

• Options
    edited January 2013
     I woul do this in this order: 

7)Book a photographer, cake baker, DJ, hair/makeup and florist
        1)Block rooms-  assuming you already have the hotel picked
         6)Alter wedding dress
         2)Settle on BM dresses and GM attire
         4)Buy wedding bands
         8) Buy invitations
        5)Register for gifts
        3) Book honeymoon hotels
        9)Plan rehearsal dinner
  • Options
    FLGatorGal88FLGatorGal88 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited January 2013
    I would go ahead and book the rest of your vendors now. With it being so close it may be difficult for you to get the ones you really want... after that I would do the BM and GM attire next. As far as your alterations go schedule your appointment now so you know you have time to for your dress to be altered. Rings can wait closer too unless you need a custom made band. Go ahead and block hotel rooms and start looking for your invitations/ ordering samples. once you have that done then figure out rehearsal dinner location and honeymoon location. Then last but not least register you can start online now and finish up in the store. What day are you getting married?
    May 2013 January Siggy Challenge:The Cake!!!
    cake4
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks so much for the replies! I really appreciate the help. My date is May 25th. We have a hotel in mind to block, just waiting for a callback. And we've narrowed it down to a couple vendors for each type 2 photog, 3 bakers, etc. Better get busy! :
  • Options
    Good luck with everything. I'm in the same boat. We are booking venue today, but have everything else to wrap up for a may 11th wedding. We are having a very small wedding so I'm hoping I can get it all done!
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_may-2013-weddings_behind-on-planning-where-to-start?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:ea657a87-d1dc-4588-999f-31c9deeef720Discussion:ce4db445-3d3c-4fba-9474-1b9843c53df2Post:98eb5882-96a4-4c2d-ab45-4290d18e6849">Behind on planning, where to start?</a>:
    [QUOTE]So I knew that wedding planning would have to be put on the backburner while I was in school this last semester. Then we bought a house, moved over Christmas, had some family drama and work got crazy. The next thing I know, the wedding is in 4 months and I still have all these things to do: Book a photographer, cake baker, DJ, hair/makeup and florist Block rooms Alter wedding dress Settle on BM dresses and GM attire Buy wedding bands Buy invitations Register for gifts Book honeymoon hotels Plan rehearsal dinner There are probably other things but this is what comes to mind. Can you wonderful and organized posters help me determine which of these are crucial to get done first? All of the timeline lists I find online (including my to-do list on TK) contradict one another and I'm curious what you all felt that you waited too long to book and why? TIA for your help.
    Posted by lindanp[/QUOTE]

I would book the photographer first out of the vendors you listed.  I know in my area, if you want to have great quality, there are only a handful of places to choose from.  The other vendors may be more flexible, but I agree that you need to get these vendors chosen first, and ASAP.

Next I'd do attire for BM and GM, as BM dresses can take up to three months to arrive, and if they need alterations, you will be cutting it very close to your date.

Depending on when/if you are having a shower, I'd register for gifts before those invites go out.  If not, register before you send your wedding invites.

That said, I'd work in this order:
     - book HM hotels
     - plan RD
     - block rooms
     - buy invites
     - buy wedding bands
     - alter dress
    May 2013 Brides February Siggy: Invites imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Agree with last post - you can rush your dress alterations if needed so that can push back a little...but you can't rush the BM or GM attire much and the BM dresses will generally take a few months (unless you do a J Crew or a Davids Bridal).
  • Options
    I'd suggest ordering invitations after you  book your vendors -- it's already February and ideally you'd like to have those invites out between 2 and 3 months before the wedding (The Knot's checklist says 3 months, but I think any time after that is good!)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards