Snarky Brides

Wedding Website Richy-Rich

You know what irks me to no end? When I'll see some sort of list on a wedding website that says: "Beautiful Wedding Dresses That Won't Break the Bank!" and then I'll click on it and it'll be dresses for around $1,500 or something like that. Seriously? If you have a thousand-dollar budget for your dress, are you really having a hard time finding a beautiful one?  I'd love to see a list like that with pretty dresses at around $250 (or less!), that's the kind of bank I'm trying not to break.

Re: Wedding Website Richy-Rich

• PiruPiru member
    First Comment
    I know. I haven't run into this too much for websites (hard to find one that lists its prices at all AHHH!) but this drives me crazy for magazines. Like, this dress is ONLY 2k and its plain as heck! Budget weddings for under 20k! Expect gifts for your bridesmaids to cost $500 each! I mean, COME ON. Even if I had that kind of money to blow, I can still think of way better ways to spend it.
    And if you should die before me, ask if you can take a friend. Pick a flower, close your eyes,and drift away- STP
    June siggy challenge!
  • I feel the same way. People that spend so much on a dress theyre going to wear for one day. Its insane! Someone needs to start a line of dresses that are beautiful and inexpensive so it appeals to the maority of people! haha
  • I'm a little offended by this! I bought a dress that you guys would consider "bank breaking" but I'm totally going to sell it when I'm done to recoup some of that money. And no, I can't think of anything "better" that I could have "blown" my money on... I don't think the budget or the cost should matter at all as long as it's something (dress, cake, etc.) that YOU love and can afford. Who cares how much something cost!?!? I wouldn't judge another bride on her dress if it was $200 or $20,000, it's tacky.
  • PiruPiru member
    First Comment
    Hey, if you can afford it's fine. The point is, most people can't and these sites and such act like it's wrong to have a reasonably priced wedding.

I had a friend that went into a Tiffany's and they acted really horrible snobby to her fiance because he was ONLY willing to spend 10k on her ring. They went elsewhere. That's the kind of attitude that's irritating.

Some people prioritize differently. Me, if I had a 20k budget, I'd rather put more of it toward the honeymoon or to a house and still have a budget friendly wedding. If you want all the high end stuff, go for it.
    And if you should die before me, ask if you can take a friend. Pick a flower, close your eyes,and drift away- STP
    June siggy challenge!
  • I find it hard to believe that the employees at Tiffany's were snotty to your friend because his budget was $10K.  They are very customer service oriented at Tiffany's. 
  • Maggie Sottero dresses tend to be pretty reasonably priced.  Not $250, but they have lovely dresses for under $1,000.  Don't know if that helps.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_wedding-website-richy-rich?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:b77e55e6-a202-4350-a882-f4aedc986f41Post:6a6ca168-3c34-408c-9849-ad3787a4c833">Re: Wedding Website Richy-Rich</a>:
    [QUOTE]. I had a friend that went into a Tiffany's and they acted really horrible snobby to her fiance because he was ONLY willing to spend 10k on her ring.
    Posted by Piru[/QUOTE]

Well, then she got off lucky because when my FI went in there with a $7,500 budget, they beat him with sticks, set his car on fire, and left him naked, chained to the telephone pole outside. He was really embarrassed when I picked him up.
  • You should get that on the local news, Cew.  Somebody has to tell of his plight.
  • It pays to have a little DIY in your blood.  A friend of mine got a white dress from JCPenny, added her own stones and flowers to it and spent a grand total of $150.  I understand that's incredible luck, but seriously, I'm not wiling to skew my budget for a dress I'm donating anyway.  $2,000 and bargain for a DRESS are mutually exclusive ideas in my book, even if it is your wedding.  It's one day!  It may be the most important, but be little more cost effective than that!  I'd rather have killer food at my reception and extra money to blow on my honeymoon than on my dress.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_wedding-website-richy-rich?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:b77e55e6-a202-4350-a882-f4aedc986f41Post:30d291f2-82b2-46a8-9809-5094265ff945">Re: Wedding Website Richy-Rich</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm a little offended by this! I bought a dress that you guys would consider "bank breaking" but I'm totally going to sell it when I'm done to recoup some of that money. And no, I can't think of anything "better" hat I could have "blown" my money on... I don't think the budget or the cost should matter at all as long as it's something (dress, cake, etc.) that YOU love and can afford. Who cares how much something cost!?!? I wouldn't judge another bride on her dress if it was $200 or $20,000, it's tacky.
    Posted by Tasianab[/QUOTE]

I have to agree with you.  I wouldn't judge someone on how little they spend on a dress/cake/wedding etc.  so why should anyone judge me on what I'm spending on my wedding?? Is that really any of their business??  Spend it on something better, like what?  And no I don't consider a $2,000 bank breaking and I'd never re sell my wedding gown.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_wedding-website-richy-rich?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:b77e55e6-a202-4350-a882-f4aedc986f41Post:7182fb40-305d-466b-b7f9-88233b3050a2">Re: Wedding Website Richy-Rich</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Wedding Website Richy-Rich : Well, then she got off lucky because when my FI went in there with a $7,500 budget, they beat him with sticks, set his car on fire, and left him naked, chained to the telephone pole outside. He was really embarrassed when I picked him up.
    Posted by cew515[/QUOTE]

LOL
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_wedding-website-richy-rich?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:b77e55e6-a202-4350-a882-f4aedc986f41Post:72ed77a6-712f-4555-af9c-4ce534b2f93b">Re: Wedding Website Richy-Rich</a>:
    [QUOTE]I find it hard to believe that the employees at Tiffany's were snotty to your friend because his budget was $10K.  They are very customer service oriented at Tiffany's. 
    Posted by goheels05[/QUOTE]

I agree.....I've never ever had a problem when making purchases there regardless of my budget. 
  • Heather, that is fantastic!  Site bookmarked!!
  • 1) Tiffany's isn't bitchy:  my engagement ring is from there although my fiance had a higher budget, but they clean every piece of silver I have when I go in, give me hugs and invite us to private events nothing but fabulous

2) Each bride will spend huge bank on something that the other bride wouldn't dream of spending money on.  I spent 1800 on my dress which I thought was reasonable, I was expecting way more, spent big bucks on my photographer, BUT those were the 2 most important things to me.  Everything else is on a shoestring budget..... to each her own.   I wouldn't dream of spending $300 on a cake, or $350 on flowers (think non floral centerpieces for sure) :-)  but that dress I didn't even blink at.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • PiruPiru member
    First Comment
    Goodness, I didn't realize everyone was so loyal to Tiffany's. Geez. It's a chain store like any other and some stores may just have that one snarky nasty employee. This was also in Australia and I wouldn't know if it applies to jewelery but money tends to not go as far in Oz.

And, it doesn't matter whether it's a 10k budget at Tiffany's or a $500 budget at Fred Meyer or a $10 budget at a pawn shop. A budget is a budget and no one has the right to be snobby about it.
    June siggy challenge!
  • katy758498katy758498 member
    First Comment
    edited April 2010
    I have the same issue, My wedding budget is $6,000. My engagement ring was $600. I have had to find deals everywhere because people expect a wedding to cost more than double my budget (and did I mention I have 240 guests???).  So I found a website ( http://www.lightinthebox.com ) where I spent $79.99 on the EXACT dress I was looking for. Nobody else had it.  I thought about printing off the pic & taking it to stores, but I figured it it really sucks, I'll sell it on ebay.  But I LOVE it. And now I have about $920 extra to feed my guests. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards