November 2013 Weddings
Options

Everybody likes to eat...

One of the most important aspects of the wedding, would be the food you olan on serving to your guests! What type of food are you lookin forward to have on your menu and are you having a buffet or plated dinner?

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Everybody likes to eat...

• Options
    Neither. Heavy apps with action stations. Will likely have a mashed potato bar, and possibly a taco station.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    My venue includes my food. When we looked at venues one of the big things we looked at was the food. My cocktail hour is a display of grilled veggies, seafood salad, pasta salad, italian cured meats, international cheese, olives, and bread. Then we have a raw bar that includes extra large shrimp, little neck clams and oysters with cocktail sauce. We then get two chef stations. I have to choice between a mash potato martini bar, soup shooters, asian stir fry, pasta, sliders or fajitas bar. Then we get 10 passed hors d'oeures. I am thinking lobster wellington, mini crab cakes, sliders, spring rolls, bruschetta, bacon wrapped scallops, quiche, and idk what else. I need to deside at my tasting.
    My dinner includes and app, salad, intermezzo and entree. My app choices are rigatoni, spinach, mushroom and lobster ravioli, rissoto and wild mushrooms, lobster bisque, or tomatoes with mango and lime. I am either going to go with ravioli or lobster bisque. My salad is romaine croutons, pecorino romano, and creamy dressing. Or red grapes, walnuts, blue cheese with baby greens and balsamic. I like the romaine bc it reminds me of ceaser and we all like ceaser. My entrees are bakes herbed chick filled with gorganzola cheese and spinch, filet mignon with grilled portobella sauce, chateaubriand, filet with lobster tail, salmon, rack of lamb with rosemary, duck, filet and crabmeat stuffed shrimp, or chilian sea bass. I get a choice of three. Plus they give a vegatarian choice. We have to have filet, so thats one choice. Then I like either tha salmon or seabass, then I am thinking either the filet and lobster or filet and shrimp. Idk again at my tasting Ill deside. I then get my cake and vienense pastry trays. 
    Let me know your thoughts on my lack of chicken. I think it will be ok bc we talked to about 40 people we are inviting and they said they would eat either seafood or steak. Idk many people who wouldnt. And if someone really doesnt want them then they can get a vegatarian dish. So I think it will be ok.  

• Options
    I kind of have my heart set on a plated dinner. I just hate waiting in buffet lines, and the idea of a sit down meal just makes me "Think Wedding."

We might do buffet though, depending on the place - it's a bit cheaper most places I'm looking, and if they have enough space to make it work (two lines so it goes faster) I wouldn't be 100% opposed to it . . .

Wedding Countdown Ticker
    pinterest, obvi.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_november-2013-weddings_everybody-likes-to-eat?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:cd1f7f85-cf50-4bfe-9bfc-0a3b46d68364Discussion:a7917238-e6ac-4d2c-aa24-c5bd5c8192cdPost:17a7cfc6-1113-457d-80f5-124260db615b">Re: Everybody likes to eat...</a>:
    [QUOTE]I kind of have my heart set on a plated dinner. I just hate waiting in buffet lines, and the idea of a sit down meal just makes me "Think Wedding." We might do buffet though, depending on the place - it's a bit cheaper most places I'm looking, and if they have enough space to make it work (two lines so it goes faster) I wouldn't be 100% opposed to it . . .
    Posted by sarahdactyI[/QUOTE]
    Around here a buffet isnt always cheaper. It depends what you put into your buffet. Look at both your choices and then deside.
  • Options
    We idn't want a plated meal, and I hate buffets at weddings as they're generally a logistical nightmare. We're having a smaller crowd, so i think stations and lots of passed apps with a couple of tables will be fine. I don't want anyone to be hungry, I just want people to mingle, especially since we aren't having dancing.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I actually dread buffets, I don't know why, but I have always had a hang up with them (it just doesn't scream wedding to me). I do know why some brides go that route and if my husband had his way, he wouldn't mind one! LOL <MORE FOOD FOR HIM>. I've always pictured a beautiful plated meal, that has been attended to with care (presentation is important in the food business) and seeing as though I am an apiring chef, I look at those types of things! I do like the whole "Action Stations" they are startingto push now (even though it still seems a bit "buffet-ish") but they way that some of the caterers put their own little spin on them... The potatoe martini bars (which I love), mac and cheese bar, shooter stations, I just love the idea of them and they seem like they would be a conversation starter! So I am torn between the two... Someone help me, lol
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_november-2013-weddings_everybody-likes-to-eat?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:cd1f7f85-cf50-4bfe-9bfc-0a3b46d68364Discussion:a7917238-e6ac-4d2c-aa24-c5bd5c8192cdPost:e4caf13b-392f-45bd-95f2-a63a1167563e">Re: Everybody likes to eat...</a>:
    [QUOTE]I actually dread buffets, I don't know why, but I have always had a hang up with them (it just doesn't scream wedding to me). I do know why some brides go that route and if my husband had his way, he wouldn't mind one! LOL <MORE FOOD FOR HIM />. I've always pictured a beautiful plated meal, that has been attended to with care (presentation is important in the food business) and seeing as though I am an apiring chef, I look at those types of things! I do like the whole "Action Stations" they are startingto push now (even though it still seems a bit "buffet-ish") but they way that some of the caterers put their own little spin on them... The potatoe martini bars (which I love), mac and cheese bar, shooter stations, I just love the idea of them and they seem like they would be a conversation starter! So I am torn between the two... Someone help me, lol
    Posted by Shifsgirl[/QUOTE]

We are doing stations in cocktail hour. Then a plated meal. This way we get both. I really loved the idea of a cocktail reception, but my FI and some other people didnt like hte idea, so plated dinner it is.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_november-2013-weddings_everybody-likes-to-eat?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:cd1f7f85-cf50-4bfe-9bfc-0a3b46d68364Discussion:a7917238-e6ac-4d2c-aa24-c5bd5c8192cdPost:69b58cd2-b8b2-4c46-b92d-4f4242401894">Re: Everybody likes to eat...</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Everybody likes to eat... : We are doing stations in cocktail hour. Then a plated meal. This way we get both. I really loved the idea of a cocktail reception, but my FI and some other people didnt like hte idea, so plated dinner it is.
    Posted by pisha82[/QUOTE]

<div>Ooh that is a smart idea to have both! I love the action stations, especially a mac and cheese bar would be so perfect for me, that was like the only food I ever ate growing up and my family still teases me about it to this day. Yummmm.</div><div>
    </div><div>My only hang up with cocktail receptions is just that my family tends to drink a lot at weddings, and I want to be sure everyone has enough food to avoid anything tooooo crazy. Plus I am the type of person who is hungry all the time! That said, my cousin's wedding reception was cocktail-style and it worked perfectly with the flow of the venue (though we did have a fair number of older relatives who needed all the chairs, so that was kind of a bummer).</div>

Wedding Countdown Ticker
    pinterest, obvi.

• Options
    They give you a ton of food at a cocktail reception. And yes you need to make sure older relatives have chairs. It is fun though. I am going to one in two weeks. I want to see how they do it. When I priced it out it was more expendsive then a plated dinner. I couldnt beleive it. To add more stations to my cocktail hour isnt that expendsive so I can always do that to give my guests more choices.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards