Hawaii
Options

Prince7 Studios - Oahu/Maui Videographer

About a week ago, there was a negative post about this vendor, but all the other reviews I have read on other websites have been nothing but glowing.  Does anyone else have any information or opinions about Prince7 Studios based upon prior experience or reputation?  We were set to book them for our wedding, but now are hesitating based upon the negative review.

Re: Prince7 Studios - Oahu/Maui Videographer

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Yikes. After reading that post, I can understand your hesitation. Are they listed with the Better Business Bureau?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Hm, I understand the hesitation, too.  It especially sounds like whatever situation might still be going on if they continue to struggle with response times and delay delivery of footage.

There are so many talented videographers available...could you consider another?
  • Options
    IrishgauchoIrishgaucho member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are now considering others, but are late on getting our videographer hired and the majority of videographers in our budget are booked, will only cover the ceremony and part of the reception or we are just not that thrilled with their style/portfolios.  I really do like Prince7 Studio's style and portfolio and there have been no problems with our communications thus far.  He answers all my questions (via email) very quickly and appears to be forthright - of course at this point, it could all be to land a client and the attitude might change once we are committed!   
    Good idea about checking with the Better Business Bureau.  I will do that.
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I checked with the BBB and they have rated Prince7 as an A (From A+ to F).  So, I think I am just going to go with my gut and book.  I really LOVE their work, they are within our budget (or close enough), the package they are offering is exactly what we are looking for and dealing with the owner has been super easy thus far.  I am also just going to bring up my concerns with him so that everything is out in the open and our expectations are understood.  I definitely will do a vendor review after all is said and done.

Thanks for the advice and for being a sounding board. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I am getting ready to book him as well. I've search the board, and didn't find the negative review that you had mentioned, could you care to share that post link with me? I am a little concerned now.
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    zz - the post was entitled "oahu brides, who was/is your videographer?" and was started by soon to be chu on 12/12/10.  The post regarding Prince7 Studios was a reply from pepelau to the original post.   
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_hawaii_prince7-studios-oahumaui-videographer?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:73Discussion:2443cacf-9eb4-4d56-b93e-d471f9d6f01fPost:07243bf2-40a4-4cad-b061-38d7d76b6884">Re: Prince7 Studios - Oahu/Maui Videographer</a>:
    [QUOTE]I checked with the BBB and they have rated Prince7 as an A (From A+ to F).  So, I think I am just going to go with my gut and book.  I really LOVE their work, they are within our budget (or close enough), the package they are offering is exactly what we are looking for and dealing with the owner has been super easy thus far.  I am also just going to bring up my concerns with him so that everything is out in the open and our expectations are understood.  I definitely will do a vendor review after all is said and done. Thanks for the advice and for being a sounding board. 
    Posted by Irishgaucho[/QUOTE]
    Good luck!  Maybe you can be open with him and bring up the concern, and amend your contract to add a clause about time for delivering video.  If they are so sure the problems are no longer affecting them, then they should be willing to contract in a delivery window with penalties...or, they should be willing to accept the remaining balance upon delivery of video - or after they show a low resolution preview online and before they deliver final HD product.

Just some suggestions.  We have found, however, that the vendors in Hawaii tend to get finnicky if you start nitpicking the contract.  One vendor told me I was the first in 500 brides to complain about their blanket cancellation clause, and therefore didn't want me as a client.  LOL.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Hi there, I was the person who originally posted the negative comment and now will go back and edit that. Since I posted that comment, the owner (Princeton) and his assistant has responded to my emails and my video should be on its way. In short, I would recommend this vendor to others.

So here's the full story. Now, my case was likely a one time instance but this is what happened. I booked Prince7 about 6 months prior to my wedding. 4 days before the wedding, Princeton emailed me with the bad news that he can't film my wedding due to a medical problem but his assistant and another staff on his team will be covering instead. I freaked out since we just got off the plane with a million things to do and felt like a bomb got dropped on us. At that point it was too late to find someone else and there's nothing else we can do. After we expressed our concerns, Princeton arranged for his assistant and staff to meet with us. We felt better after the meeting since we got to learn more about the assistant's background, saw samples of his work and he calmed us down on the whole situation. On the day of the wedding, they were extremely professional. They even went out of their way to capture additional footage after the wedding (i.e. poses, interviews, etc).

2 month after the wedding, I emailed Princeton to follow up on the progress of our video and did not get any response for a week. I've seen other videographers post highlight videos within days of weddings but here we are not getting a response on the status. We reviewed our contract and actually the contract states that the video could take up to 3 months. A few days ago, his assistant called me letting me know that they were going through all the footage and that the dvds should be ready soon.

I think the combination of Princeton not being able to film and us not getting a response when I inquired about the status of our video sooner put me on edge. In Princeton's defense, medical issues or other emergencies can come up for anyone, it was just nerve wrecking that it happened on my wedding date . I feel much better now that I got a status update and have high condidence that the video will turn out well. In summary, his assistant and staff were excellent to work with. Communication time could be improved but at the end, it all worked out!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks ladies. This is very helpful.
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the follow up pepelau!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I love it when things get resolved. I also love it that brides can network like this.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards