Hawaii

New to board..

Hi everyone!
I'm new to the board.. well recently anyway. I haven't been on here for almost a year but I usually would frequent my local board.
my fi and I just got engaged and are planning/hoping for a Hawaii dw. We have a long way to go we don't have a set date yet, but we have Sept. or Oct 2011 in mind because that will be after I finish school. The 2 top places we have in mind are Kuai the HCR, or Maui Makena beach & golf resort. ATM I am talking to/ working with an agent who has been super friendly and helpful so far. But any suggestions from your expertise would be welcome!

Thanks Smile
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: New to board..

• ever_afterever_after member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    ok obviously I haven't got down the new features yet, so bare with me! lol
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    here I go again... lol
    I do have a couple of questions..
    1. Does anyone know how to go about licensing (sp?) a minister of my choice to perform the ceremony?
    2. How far in advance would you all recommend to start booking?

We are planning for small intimate wedding, just immediate family, so really no more than 30ppl **crossing fingers**
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • carrieoz_76carrieoz_76 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    So first, regarding the HCR in Kauai - are you familiar with it at all?  We looked at staying there during our HM, but decided not to b/c it's pretty expensive for the area, is in a really remote area (we wanted the north side, but the HCR is like at the end of the road up there), it's not air-conditioned, and some of the reviews on tripadvisor were NOT positive (rooms got hot, could hear noise from neighbors - stuff like that).  As for a wedding location, I hear it rains A LOT on the north side of Kauai, so you'd really be taking your chances with that part of Kauai, I think.

The south side of Maui (where Makena is) is the arid dry side, and it doesn't rain much there, so you'd be taking way less of a chance with that location.  Additionally, it's a little off the beaten path, but still pretty close to the towns, so you're not so far away from everything.  Finally, your guests can choose to stay in more affordable accommodations in Kihei, if they want, since it's not that far from Makena.

As for when to book, it depends on what you're booking.  We booked our accommodations about 12 months in advance, then the WC, reception venue, and photog about 9 months out.  The rest you dont' need to do nearly as early.

Getting an officiant approved to legally marry someone, that I don't know, but Kaesha, the mod for this board, did that I think so you might ask her.

Oh, and welcome!  The girls on this board are great - you should definitely stick around.
  • edited December 2011
    Welcome to the board!

Re: minister - they have to be legally allowed to perform marriages somewhere (I had my uncle do ours - he's an Anglican priest in BC), and then they have to apply to the Dep't of Health for a temporary license to perform marriages in Hawaii.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    @Carrie: our agent actually got married at the HCR and the pictures look great. The prices she quoted us are also not that bad, they are all condos wich means 4 ppl can stay in each condo and they can all split the costs. As far as the rain, I think Oct is a dier time, but that is something I will check into. We just want a small ceremony on the beach and have a restaraunt reception so I am not too worried about the rain for this.

@Kaesha: There are a couple of ppl we have in mind we would like the ceremony done by and all are licensed ministers who can perform ceremonies here. Does the process take long/complicated?

Thanks to both of your for the help!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011

It shouldn't be too much of an issue - are you hoping to have some kind of ceremony affiliated with a church? Because that, for my uncle, is what took the longest to sort out. He had to apply for permission through the Bishop in BC and the Bishop of Hawai'i, and then get the register and stuff from the Episcopalian church in Lahaina. The Department of Health stuff was significantly shorter - maybe 30 days or so?

• mauidandymauidandy member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi! Welcome to the board!
    andrea and ryan . june 2010 . maui.olowalu
    My Planning Bio
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    @ Kaesha: Well I don't think that process take as long for my brother or fil, so hopefully it is a smooth process!

@Mauidandy: Thanks :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • GoofygamineGoofygamine member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

HCR is okay.  It is definitely a getaway (TV, phone accessibility is very limited).  However, the entire place (restaurant, spa, rooms, grounds) is in definite need of upgrades.  Especially when they're competing with the big boys like St. Regis on the North Shore.  Customer service is nice at HCR, but I consider amenities below average for the price and area. 

How 'bout consider renting a vacation property and doing the event there?  I am a Kauai North Shore vacation rental property owner, so I am a little biased to that idea.  But there's a reason...it's great!  My place isn't large enough for an event like yours but the area from Anini northward has some fantastic locations.  Even Hollywood agrees.  They're filming "Pirates of the Carribbean up by Haena). 

Or consider getting married on a public beach, paying only the permit fee.

As for officiant, I would recommend Manulele ((808) 652-2995 Cell,
    (808) 821-1698).  And the classic place to get the license is with Kenny @ Pono Market in Kapa'a.

I'd have Oahu recommendations but they're all focused on the huge, formal weddings , which isn't the direction you sound that you are going.

As for when to contact people, sooner is always best on the islands.  Resources are limited so book early!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards