California-Bay Area

How to find a photographer?

So I am beginning my search for a photographer but I am so lost on where to even begin. There are so many in the Bay Area and I am starting to feel overwhelmed. How did you guys pick them out? Any advice?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: How to find a photographer?

• edited December 2011
    I went on The Knot and looked based on our price range and contacted all the ones who I liked the work on their website. From there, I talked with them and narrowed it down more to the ones we met with. We actually chose the first one and loved her! I think it's just making sure you know your budget and what you like and don't like in photography (more artsy, or candid, or posed, etc). and going from there.
  • edited December 2011

i found mine on 100 Layer Cake's blog (Brion Hopkins).  they now have a new website with vendor recs on there ....

http://www.100layercake.com/vendors/browse/3/photography/region:1

i think Green Wedding Shoes also has a vendor page.

my friend is using Lynn Kai Chao
    a few others that i heard that are awesome:
    Erica Berger
    Jennifer Kloss
    Anna Kuperburg
    paco + betty
    Nirav Photography

HTH!  =)

• mica178mica178 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think I found mine on yelp while I was checking out reviews for someone else.
  • leia1979leia1979 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I got some recommendations from friends and on here. I also looked on Yelp. We ended up booking photographers we found on Craigslist. They have excellent reviews on Yelp and the price was right.

I haven't actually had any photos taken yet, but you can check them out.
    dkweddings.net
  • edited December 2011
    I took recommendations from others on the knot.  You're doing the right thing by asking others on the community board.  I went with Mike Danen photography, and we just took our engagement pictures.  Could not be more pleased!

I also liked Jenn Bartell, Shanni ( www.whatshannisaw.com ) , Kim at Mill Cottage Photography, Jessica Burke, Ken Ille ( www.illephotography.com ), and Shannon Stellmacher (Stellmacherphotography@yahoo.com)

Google those names and check out their websites, all are great and reasonably priced.

Good luck!
  • edited December 2011
    BTW, tell them Lauren sent you and hopefully they quote you the same price I got
  • mica178mica178 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh, and here's my guy's website:
    www.norbertweddings.com
    If you want to check out my pictures (mind you, there are a lot), you can go under client login, and my password is 101010.

eta: oops, typo'd the link, here it is again: www.norbertwedding.com
  • mapledonutsmapledonuts member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks a lot everyone. You have all been very helpful.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    let us know who you end up with!
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_california-bay-area_photographer?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:602Discussion:d29c644c-6574-43ae-b794-99703fdc4a53Post:f5464a6e-ec26-4e75-a07f-c00f4713fe3d">Re: How to find a photographer?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I went on The Knot and looked based on our price range and contacted all the ones who I liked the work on their website. From there, I talked with them and narrowed it down more to the ones we met with. We actually chose the first one and loved her! I think it's just making sure you know your budget and what you like and don't like in photography (more artsy, or candid, or posed, etc). and going from there.
    Posted by Epolos89[/QUOTE]

<div>This is exactly what I did too.</div>
  • edited December 2011
    I did similar to PP with researching photographers in our price range, narrowing down, and then meeting with them. We were recommended DMG Photography - http://dmgphoto.com/#

He was in our price range, we liked his work, and when we met with him, he was just awesome. We just did our engagement photos with him a couple days ago and it was a lot of fun. Good luck :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    Hey I sent you a PM with some info....
  • edited December 2011
    Looks like you have plenty of recommendations, but I'm using Steve Keegan (www.stevekeegan.com). He's a wedding photojournalist out of Reno, and his price is inclusive of travel.  He was actually supposed to do my wedding in Vegas but, fortunately for me, it was called off.  Steve honored my deposit and I have re-booked him for my Sonoma wedding!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Gracel27Gracel27 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I just went to a bunch of my favorite wedding blogs and searched for "northern california" in the blog posts. This was a pretty perfect way for me to scroll through a lot of great photographs and then pick and choose the ones to contact.

Here's a couple that I really loved:

Flory Photo
    Lisa Leftkowitz
    Hannah Suh
    Anna Kuperburg
    39 East Photography

Theres really so many photographers to choose from. The hardest part is really finding someone in the right budget range.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards