Wedding Etiquette Forum

How not to get an English teaching job

So, a member of a club I joined here in Sweden sent out a search for an English teacher.  Someone replied, to the WHOLE group, and wrote:

I can teach English.

I can speak basic to immediate Svenska. I am more than willing to help out. I have taught english to spanish speakers for meany years, and I think I would be good for this as well.

Oh. my. god.  I can't stop laughing.

Re: How not to get an English teaching job

• Oh lord. The irony, it's too good.
    Whatever you hatters be hattin. -Tay Prince
  • Isn't it?!  And how embarrassing for her that she sent it to well over 100 people??
  • Eeek.  That's pretty bad.

"You can take your etiquette and shove it!" ~misscarolb
  • If that were me and it were just a typo, you'd better believe I'd be sending another email letting everyone know that I'm not a moron and that it was a typo. I have a feeling this wasn't a typo though.
    Whatever you hatters be hattin. -Tay Prince
  • Is "immediate" something along the lines of "intermediate"?
    Plus, she must have been absent the day they taught capitals for the names of languages and that sentences should not end in prepositions.
    How embarrassing for her to send that to so many people.
    The Bee Hive Est. June 30, 2007
    "So I sing a song of love, Julia"

BFAR:We Defined Our Own Success!

• I just sent a message back to the lady (just the original who sent out the request!) and I worked extra hard to make sure my response was awesome. :D
  • While bad, it was still better than some of the posts I've seen on here ;-)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • LOL!!  I just looked her up in the directory and she's a goddamn master's student! In Global Political Science! (Also, WTF kind of degree is that?)
  • The sad thing is, she may not realize how horrible her English really is.  At my job, we sometimes require people to take an English language proficiancy exam.  But many people think they don't need to take it so they submit a statement explaining why they should be exempt.

My favorite of the bunch was when this guy used a lower case "L" instead of a capital "I" throughout the whole statement.  Oh yeah, he had mastered the English language.
  • I read that really fast and did a double take.  Really?  I hope somebody told her nicely though.  :(
  • Is it wrong that I have lived overseas for so much of my life that this doesn't surprise me? I know she is suggesting she should teach English, but somehow, still doesn't surprise me...

English is my father's fourth language...some of the mistakes he makes make me laugh, others cringe. And he has a Ph.D in Medicine written in English! But to be fair, he is 71 this year, I think he is slowly forgetting some of the syntax he used to have...he sounds like a Eastern European yoda sometimes.

• Oh dear. This makes me think of the signs near my place advertising English classes and telling people not to "loose" out on this opportunity.

I also sent out a request for English classes for DH (because I am the worst teacher ever) to a group of English-speaking expats a while ago and got a response with errors like that. Obviously, I did not take the woman up on her offer to teach him something vaguely resembling the English language.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_not-english-teaching-job?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:ab3edaba-5a04-4077-bf94-0359b9b0bb77Post:4566cb40-5775-4e01-ae6b-f658e71272bf">Re: How not to get an English teaching job</a>:
    [QUOTE]Is it wrong that I have lived overseas for so much of my life that this doesn't surprise me? I know she is suggesting she should teach English, but somehow, still doesn't surprise me... English is my father's fourth language...some of the mistakes he makes make me laugh, others cringe. And he has a Ph.D in Medicine written in English! But to be fair, he is 71 this year, I think he is slowly forgetting some of the syntax he used to have...he sounds like a Eastern European yoda sometimes.
    Posted by number55[/QUOTE]

I think that's totally forgiveable 55, but this girl is American, (from Chapel Hill, according to her bio) and simple typo's such as she exhibited are just not acceptable, I think, for a native speaker offering to teach.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_not-english-teaching-job?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:ab3edaba-5a04-4077-bf94-0359b9b0bb77Post:5b857818-86b8-4580-b04a-f5e3853ccc69">Re: How not to get an English teaching job</a>:
    [QUOTE]... and that sentences should not end in prepositions.
    Posted by Mrs.B6302007[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>This rule isn't followed as closely or strictly as it was decades ago, even in relatively formal settings.  Often it just results in awkward-sounding sentences because people aren't used to hearing them structured around this rule anymore.  That's just my understanding of the situation, though.

</div>
  • She was a native speaker?!  Oh my.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_not-english-teaching-job?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:ab3edaba-5a04-4077-bf94-0359b9b0bb77Post:bcf3f70b-94dd-408d-9bc2-77c960261111">Re: How not to get an English teaching job</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm not tellin' her!
    Posted by AmoroAgain[/QUOTE]
    no..not you...like a friend or a boss or something....
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_not-english-teaching-job?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:ab3edaba-5a04-4077-bf94-0359b9b0bb77Post:cf0abed5-bdf6-48ca-9fc1-e09868a13dcb">Re: How not to get an English teaching job</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: How not to get an English teaching job : I think that's totally forgiveable 55, but this girl is American, (from Chapel Hill, according to her bio) and simple typo's such as she exhibited are just not acceptable, I think, for a native speaker offering to teach.

<div>SHE'S AMERICAN? Sorry for the caps, but really? Okay, that is ridiculous. And I agree with the PP who said that there have been posts on here that have been almost as bad. It is unfortunately true. Someone was called out on FFF a little while ago for it and I read one of her posts elsewhere and nearly choked...</div>
  • I see a difference between responding to an email about a job with terrible typo's, starting every sentence with "I", and essentially writing as though she is at about a 5th grade level.  There's no evidence of complex structure, and if she can't type "intermediate" then I sure as hell wouldn't trust her to teach my kid.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_not-english-teaching-job?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:ab3edaba-5a04-4077-bf94-0359b9b0bb77Post:cf0abed5-bdf6-48ca-9fc1-e09868a13dcb">Re: How not to get an English teaching job</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: How not to get an English teaching job : I think that's totally forgiveable 55, but this girl is American, (from Chapel Hill, according to her bio) and simple typo's such as she exhibited are just not acceptable, I think, for a native speaker offering to teach.

<div>What?! I was going to excuse her, thinking she was foreign. (Still a funny story, and I still wouldn't hire her, but more forgivable.) That would explain why she didn't capitalize English and Spanish - I know they're not capitalized in the romance languages, for example.</div>
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Her bio says her hometown is Chapel Hill, NC.  If she's not American, I'll eat my hat.
  • "Typos" does not have an apostrophe unless you are discussing something belonging to the typo or something the typo is doing. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards