Getting in Shape

Who has a Garmin Forerunner? (or any GPS?)

I'm looking at the 110, and I'm debating whether or not I want to spend the extra $60 for the HRM.  I already HAVE a HRM, but I'm not exactly keen on the idea of wearing two bulky watches while I run ;)  I could probably sell the one I do have to recoup some of that $60.  I wish it fit my H, because i'd just hand it off to him. 

So what do you think?  I really like the HRM monitor feature, and I know I'd use it, but $60 extra is a lot for something I already own separately.

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.

Re: Who has a Garmin Forerunner? (or any GPS?)

• I don't know much (if anything) about the actual benefits while already owning a HRM, but I know that I want one too.  :)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_who-has-a-garmin-forerunner-or-any-gps?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:71eabb8f-465b-479f-955a-8613927da1abPost:e5f3e66d-8013-4f5e-baec-09cee508cce1">Re: Who has a Garmin Forerunner? (or any GPS?)</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't know much (if anything) about the actual benefits while already owning a HRM, but I know that I want one too.  :)
    Posted by anna.oskar[/QUOTE]

Haha, can we share?

And also, In case my question isn't clear--there are two models of the 110, one with an HRM and one without.  Both have the GPS function.  The one without the HRM is $60 less than the one with the HRM.  And unforunately, the strap from my Polar isn't compatible with the Garmin.  (Dang it!)

• I don't think there's an easy answer to this---doesn't it just depend how you want to use it? If you think you are frequently going to need the HRM and the GPS at the same time, then it's probably worth it, so you don't have to wear two gimungo watches.

When I was doing speedwork (which was pretty much the only time I cared about my heart rate) I was usually on the track, so the GPS would be unnecessary. When I was doing speedwork on the roads, I was focusing on effort-level, and everything was based on time--so I didn't need the GPS then either.

So how are you looking to use them? I think that should be the deciding factor.
  • Well, I like the HRM for the slightly more accurate calorie numbers.  I use my HRM pretty much any time I exercise.  Because of my asthma, I like to keep an eye on it because when it gets too high, I know I need to bring the intensity down a notch or my lungs will be struggling soon.

So I guess I should probably invest in the one with the HRM and try to sell mine, then.

• I have the Forerunner 305 and I LOVE it!!! There is a newer model (405), which a lot of my running friends have purchased and they have all told me they prefered the 305.

I got mine on ebay for a really good deal. They were over $300 when they first came out. After the newer model came out, the price of the 305s went way down.
    October 2012 Board: June Siggy
  • I may be a little late to this party, but:

- are you looking just to monitor your heart rate or calories burned? I'm not sure about the 110, but the 305 does not use your heart rate to determine calories burned, which is ridiculous. Maybe the 110 does, I know some of them work differently.
    imageimageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards