Louisiana-New Orleans

French Quarter Rehearsal Dinner

Hello Brides-to-Be!

Does anyone have a recommendation for a quintessentially French Quarter location (or withing walking distance of the F.Q.) with good food at a moderate price for a rehearsal dinner?

100% of our guests are out-of-towners, with 50% from outside of the US, so we really want to show off New Orleans French Quarter culture and food.

Re: French Quarter Rehearsal Dinner

• meredithcheekmeredithcheek member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i'd recommend muriel's or palace cafe.  mother's restaurant also has a seperate room now where they do private parties.  food at all three is amazing!
  • edited December 2011
    I second the suggestions above, and would also look into Acme Oyster house, and Mother's has a seperate space, and wonderful food.
    Photobucket
  • MaddyA0710MaddyA0710 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Palace Cafe
  • hollybee92hollybee92 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oceana is really affordable!
  • zoopsiedaisyzoopsiedaisy member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ours is at Muriel's and since my fiance's family is handling it I'm not sure about prices, but the food is amazing, it has a balcony that looks over the Cathedral and Jackson Square and they can do either sit down or reception style.  It's a great location too!  It's far enough away from Bourbon Street but close enough that you can walk there.  

Arnaud's on the other hand is on Bourbon Street and has a balcony for the private rooms upstairs if you want that experience.  Again, great food and atmosphere, but not sure about prices.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Tujagues
  • edited December 2011
    Deanie's Seafood has a French Quarter location and their prices are definitely in the moderate range.  The ambience is a little utilitarian but the service has always been very friendly.  Huge portions - no one will leave hungry. 

If you want something prettier, I would suggest Palace Cafe on Canal Street.  The food is amazing, the decor is lovely and the prices are less than other "similar" restaurants.

You can probably get menus on line for any restaurant you are considering.
    good luck
  • edited December 2011
    OLIVIER'S FOOD IS WONDERFUL AND THEY DO HAVE A SEPARATE SPACE FOR PRIVATE PARTIES. CHECK THEM OUT!
  • edited December 2011
    One more idea:

The New Orleans School of Cooking does special events including Rehearsal Dinners.  Basically, they cook dinner, demonstrating how, and give an overview (very entertaining and hilarious) of New Orleans cuisine and history while they cook.  We went there a couple of years ago for a demonstration and had a wonderful time.  We are definitely planning to go back with friends.  Anyway, they offer a bar and custom menu for special events.  They can only accommodate a certain number of people, however.  I think up to 68.  When we went the price was around $30 per person but again you can customize.   We thought about this for my daughter's rehearsal dinner but she has her heart set on something up town.  One other thing, it seems like we were there about 3 hours.  I don't remember exactly.  I'm sure they can give you an idea.  A lot of people there were repeat customers.  I learned and remembered more about New Orleans from that than anything else and it was a blast!  The food was great and I have cooked several things since then using their recipies.

One other idea:  I'm sure if you have enough people any restaurant would customize a menu for you that would offer pricing flexibility.  K Paul's is normally very pricey but I remember eating there once when they had a fixed price promotion - 3 entrees in the $30's.  They had a brass band come through and play - very New Orleansy and it was one of the best meals I've ever had and I'm a foodie!  Hands down best gumbo I've ever had! 

Hope this helps!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards