Military Brides

Married by JOP but having Formal Ceremony HELP!

Hi everyone!

Ok, I need HELP!!!! My husband and I were engaged before he found out we were moving so we had do a JOP ceremony before we moved. I want to start planning our formal wedding ceremony. My question is, how in the world do I word the invitations for our formal ceremony?? We had a huge going away party and all of our very close family and friends already know that we're married, and most of them will be invited to our formal ceremony. We don't plan on registering for gifts because we were given a lot of congratulatory and going away presents before we moved. 

Any suggestions?? Anything will help! 

Thank youSmile

(please be respectful, no rude comments I am just asking for some help here)

Re: Married by JOP but having Formal Ceremony HELP!

• "Please join us as we celebrate the renewal of our vows"

Honestly, there is really no point in having Bach parties now.  You are no longer a bachelor or bachelorette.  I don't see any issue with a party or a girls' and guys' night.  A friend of mine had a spa day for us girls and the guys played golf.  We all met up later for a night at a local piano bar.  It was a great time.  
    On the same note, a shower wouldn't be correct either.  That ship sailed.  You said y'all were given gifts already.  Showers are for "showering" the couple with gifts.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_married-by-jop-but-having-formal-ceremony-help?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:336b0886-f168-4536-9c1d-bf8e61f148abPost:16864e59-e418-403b-93fe-c47571fa9e39">Re: Married by JOP but having Formal Ceremony HELP!</a>:
    [QUOTE]"Please join us as we celebrate the renewal of our vows" Honestly, there is really no point in having Bach parties now.  You are no longer a bachelor or bachelorette.  I don't see any issue with a party or a girls' and guys' night.  A friend of mine had a spa day for us girls and the guys played golf.  We all met up later for a night at a local piano bar.  It was a great time.   On the same note, a shower wouldn't be correct either.  That ship sailed.  You said y'all were given gifts already.  Showers are for "showering" the couple with gifts.  
    Posted by iluvmytxrgr[/QUOTE]

<div>That makes sense and I knew people might say that I just wanted the confirmation. The spa day is a great alternative or girls/guys night out! I didn't even think about that. I just want to get some sort of feel for what that might have been like you know?</div><div>
    </div><div>Thanks for the advice!</div>
  • I understand.  You can still have a great time and have those things, they just have different names.  You know?  For instance, I'm sure you and your husband have already danced since being married, correct?  So you wouldn't have a first dance.  You can still dance to your song.  The DJ would just say, "Please join April and Mr April as they dance to their special song" or something along those lines.  Toasts would be a bit different, but you can still have them.  
    Just have fun with it.  The important part is already done. Now, it's party time!!  :)
  • TheVirginiansTheVirginians member
    5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited February 2013
    Party time! You had a wedding so this is not that. It is a vow renewal.
  • FI and I might get married legally before the wedding (shhhh don't tell!) for reasons I'm sure you can all relate to (BAH, getting out of the barracks, etc!).  Since we're having a wedding with a ceremony regardless of whether we're legally married beforehand, I worded our invitations as "Your presence is kindly requested at the marriage celebration of...".

That way, I didn't really feel like I was lying to my poor little grandmothers who will believe they are seeing the magical legal moment where we become husband and wife to the government.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_married-by-jop-but-having-formal-ceremony-help?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:336b0886-f168-4536-9c1d-bf8e61f148abPost:5dd8ce48-a3fb-4649-ab85-141de36861ce">Re: Married by JOP but having Formal Ceremony HELP!</a>:
    [QUOTE]FI and I might get married legally before the wedding (shhhh don't tell!) for reasons I'm sure you can all relate to (BAH, getting out of the barracks, etc!).  Since we're having a wedding with a ceremony regardless of whether we're legally married beforehand, I worded our invitations as "Your presence is kindly requested at the marriage celebration of...". That way, I didn't really feel like I was lying to my poor little grandmothers who will believe they are seeing the magical legal moment where we become husband and wife to the government.
    Posted by aabaum[/QUOTE]<div>But you are lying and being extremely unethical about it.  Not to mention, your FI could face charges.  

</div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards