Wedding Etiquette Forum

Addressing Save the Dates

I'm in the process of addressing my Save the Dates and I was wondering if there is a way to address them other than traditional Mr. & Mrs. John Doe?
More specifically, is there a way to include the wife's first name?
Are any of these correct?
Mr. John & Mrs. Jane Doe
Mr. & Mrs. Jane and John Doe
Mrs. Jane & Mr. John Doe
I know these look a little awkward but they are just few combinations I could come up with.
May 2013 January Siggy Challenge:Cake inspiration image

Re: Addressing Save the Dates

• Actually, none of these are correct.

If you don't want to use Mr. and Mrs. John Doe, I'd use either:

John and Jane Doe

or

Ms. Jane Smith
    Mr. John Doe

if they have different last names.  Whether or not they are "traditional" should not be a factor in what you do.
  • I thought the male's name wasn't supposed to be separated from his last name? So it would be Jane and John Doe? I can't remember where I read that though. How formal do you want these to be?
  • So I googled this and found this website:
    http://www.everythinghandwritten.com/etiquette.html

Under the section Titles (3rd paragraph) it says:
    If you are addressing a married couple and want to use both of their first names, the husband’s name must be kept next to the surname, for example: Mrs. Susan and Mr. Marvin Jones or Mrs. Susan Jones and Mr. Marvin Jones.

Again, Mrs. Susan and Mr. Marvin Jones just looks awkward to me, and that's why I was asking here..... is this person just not know what their talking about?
    Thanks
    May 2013 January Siggy Challenge:Cake inspiration image
  • I've always heard that it's technically wrong to have Mrs. with anything but the husband's name (unless the woman is a widow) So it would be Jane Smith, but Mrs. John Smith. This has fallen out a bit, especially with the feminist movement, but it's why Mary Todd Lincoln signed her letters to aquaintences "Mrs. Abraham Lincoln"
    photo a826c490-726a-4824-af5c-d938878de228_zpseb85bb5a.jpg
  • I just sent mine out - and they were all sent to Mr & Mrs. Smith if they had different last names even if married they were
    Mr. John Smith
    Ms. Jane Doe
    Wedding Countdown Ticker ~~December Sept. 2013 Siggy Challenge~~ Now & Then Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_addressing-save-the-dates-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:25ee21e2-0dad-44be-b3dd-911ea3821dddPost:a84488ae-9875-422e-ba42-4cd5b3723984">Re: Addressing Save the Dates</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Addressing Save the Dates : It should actually be 'Jane and John Doe.' 
    Posted by Sleeper2013[/QUOTE]

Whichever.  The point is, it's not correct to use "Mrs. Susan and Mr. John."
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards