Wedding Reception Forum

hay bale seating? yes or no?

I'll be getting married in the summer in an outdoor ceremony with the reception following at the same place. It'll be a medium sized wedding of about 100 people. Our theme is country rustic so I was thinking of doing haybales covered with a sheet and then a quilt for seating during the ceremony. Afterwards the reception would have normal chairs and under a tent.

My question though is the hay bales too much or functional decor?

Re: hay bale seating? yes or no?

• I guess it depends on how warm it is outside.  I think sitting on haybales (with sheets/quilts) could be really uncomfortable if it's over 85 degrees outside.   

If you could possibly do chairs, I'd recommend doing chairs.   That way everyone will get their own place to sit, and they will probably be more comfortable for everyone.   Hay bales just don't sound all that comfortable to me.   But if you can't do chairs for whatever reason, then haybales are better than not having any place to sit.  
    DSC_9275
  • Anyone with a bad back would be miserable sitting on haybales.  Every time I see this idea I cringe at how uncomfortable (think painful) it would be for DH and I both.  Yes we are in our 50's but DH has had his bad back for 20 years.  I think haybales would be a terribly uncomfortable idea.  We would never mention a word to anyone if we attended a wedding that had them, but I know DH would be in pain for quite some time over it.
  • My back hurts just thinking about it, and I'm late 20s.  It's good that you are thinking of covering them enough so hay won't be sticking people (especially in their nice clothes), but it still doesn't sound comfortable.  Even if your ceremony is short, people generally arrive early for weddings and take their seats well in advance of the ceremony start time, so there would be a good deal of sitting on the hay bales, waiting for you to start.  

I would have regular chairs for the ceremony.  You can tie a small wildflower bouquet or some other decoration on the ends of the rows to bring in the country/rustic feel.  
  • I ditto everyone else, ESPECIALLY that renting chairs would be cheaper than haybales.
    If you can borrow haybales from a friend, I'd use haybales somewhere else. Maybe as an accent to create your "altar" or somehow weasel them in an non-obtrusive way to line your aisle.
    Otherwise, scratch the haybale idea. You might be surprised at how many people have skin/breathing reactions to hay, especially if it's cheapo ditch hay. Yuck.
  • DItto PP. Chairs are a much better option.  Besides the comfort factor hay bales even covered with fabric can poke, tear and get stuck on clothing.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • itzMSitzMS member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited November 2012

Hay is smelly. And pokey. And I'd likely be wearing a dress to your wedding. No thank you.

Maybe just use it for decoration.

• what about guests who are allergic to hay?

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_hay-bale-seating-yes-or-no?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:a67e516e-97f8-46f1-8e78-4687d8a381d2Post:74eda41a-d6f7-49f2-a4e1-fe89cbb5e349">hay bale seating? yes or no?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'll be getting married in the summer in an outdoor ceremony with the reception following at the same place. It'll be a medium sized wedding of about 100 people. Our theme is country rustic so I was thinking of doing haybales covered with a sheet and then a quilt for seating during the ceremony. Afterwards the reception would have normal chairs and under a tent. My question though is the hay bales too much or functional decor?
    Posted by SKThomas2013[/QUOTE]

<div>I think that you need to think of EVERYONE that will be attending. I know that I am very allergic to hay, expecially dried hay. So sitting on it for a long time and being around it would make me miserable and rashy. It would be a cute decorative piece here and there, but consider all of the repercussions of this particular decision. Good luck!</div>
  • no. i would not want to sit in my dress on a hay bale covered with a quilt. hot, smelley and those things poke you. nevermind the allergies and back aches.

• I would get chairs or benches. I'm severly allergic to hay, I wouldn't be able to stand within 10 feet of it, let alone sit on it. 
  • PPs have good points to consider.

I have no idea where to find them or how expensive it would be, but I have seen pictures where couples have rented church pews for their outdoor ceremony, and it is super cute.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Hay ales as decorations yes. Hay ales as sitting no! Allergies, smell, uncomfortable, hoy, itchy will lead to uncomfortable and irriated guests.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • As someone who is severely allergic to hay, I would not be in favor of this idea.
  • No, please. Hay makes me sneeze, I need a back on my chair (unless your ceremony is < 5 min), and I don't want hay stick thingies poking through the sheet and messing up my dress or touching me with their nature germs!
  • I would not want a hay bale to sit on.  I work with hay daily and even in jeans it is pokey. Then there is the allergy issue. 
  • edited November 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_hay-bale-seating-yes-or-no?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:a67e516e-97f8-46f1-8e78-4687d8a381d2Post:ef691d91-dd70-4b9d-bd45-dacd8253e5b6">Re: hay bale seating? yes or no?</a>:
    [QUOTE]what about guests who are allergic to hay?
    Posted by southerncutie[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>This.  If I knew I would have to be around hay bales, I probably wouldn't show.</div><div>
    </div><div>If it wasn't known to guests that they would be there, I would be even more p(#*$ed and leave.</div><div>
    </div><div>I don't care who the couple would be... I'm not risking my health to have the ceremony look cute.</div>
  • edited December 2012
    Personally, I would not recommend this.  I know a good number of people with hay allergies and you don't want to make your guests miserable!  Plus, hay is pretty itchy--allergy or not.  It also might ruin certain fabrics (snagging, etc.)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards