North Carolina

Raleigh/Durham venue needed to work with caterer...please help!

I think I am going crazy.... I've spent the past 3 months searching the internet to find a venue that at least looks good on paper and I keep coming up empty.

My major issue is that I have my own caterer already. My FI absolutely refuses to pay more than $60pp for food and alcohol (including tax and fees) so I found a caterer who can make that happen. (Go me!)

The problem is I can't find anywhere for the caterer to cater...

What I'm looking for is a venue that has separate spaces for ceremony, cocktail and reception (with the option of an outside ceremony) that has room for about 150 people for under $3,000. And I must be able to use my caterer!!! I've called way too many places that will only work with a small list of high priced "approved" caterers.

So far the Royal, Preserve @ Jordan Lake, Rand-Bryan House (which is over budget), and the River Ridge Golf Club are on my list. I haven't seen any in person yet but nothing's really got me excited yet.

Please help me Knotties, does anyone know of a venue in or near the Raleigh Durham area that might work for us???

1White Knot Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Raleigh/Durham venue needed to work with caterer...please help!

• uneek1323uneek1323 member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    The only advice I can offer is to not hung up over none of them getting you excited yet. Wait  to make that judgement until you visit in person and check things out. I was not that impressed with our venue from online photos, but FI really liked so I made an appointment to check it out and got goosebumps before I even got out of the car. 
    We booked it the next week.

**TTCAL** A little Irish cuteness- Cillian Murphy
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    TTC #1 since December 2011
    Dx: Hypothyroidism, PCOS, one test away from confirming DOR
    BFP #1 1/16/12 EDD 9/16/12 m/c 1/26/12 }Sweet Pea{
    BFP #2 10/18/12 EDD 6/29/13 cp 10/24/12 }Bug{
    BFP #3 11/22/12 EDD 8/1/13 m/c 12/7/12 }Turkey{
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Mah Chart * Mah Literary Blog * Mah Other Blog
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic image
    ~*~Everyone is welcome~*~
  • edited December 2011
    I think Hall & Gardens of Landmark (Garner) allows you to bring in a caterer.  Not sure about their pricing otherwise.
  • edited December 2011
    Haywood Hall! Definitely. I don't think it's that much to use, you can definitely use an outdoor caterer and it's really pretty.

Another option could be the Mordecai House (they even have a cute little chapel on the property if you wanted to use that):

I really think they would both fit into your budget...you might want to rent a tent just in case of bad weather, but you can probably find one for a good price.

Edit: I think the Halls & Garden at Landmark is really expensive.
  • tarheelbabstarheelbabs member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The Stockroom downtown is cool and warehouse-y--I think it's about $2000.  The History Museum is beautiful, but has a limited caterer list.  There's also the Natural History Museum.  Good luck!!
  • edited December 2011
    I just looked it up...Haywood Hall is $1,500 to rent for the entire day of the wedding...that would leave you $1,500 to rent a tent! If we were having less people, I would love to have our reception there.

They actually just redid their website and it's a lot better and more informaitonal.
  • edited December 2011
    Have you tried Snipes Farm Retreat in Chapel Hill? One issue...there isn't a kitchen facility on site. Everything either needs to be cooked off site and brought to Snipes or cooked there using rental equipment.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Sorry. Just read your message again. There isn't three seperate locations at Snipes. I'll just let you know what we did -

Outdoor ceremony under the oak tree
    Cocktail hour outside the dairy barn on the front deck and grass
    Dinner used half of the dairy barn and the outside "breezeway" area (130 guests)
    Dance used the remaining half of the dairy barn.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • NcsuPsychNcsuPsych member
    Combo Breaker First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    I got married at The Rand-Bryan House. I think you def. take a look at it and it would probably work out well for you.

Anyways, the internet and articles really don't do many venues justice. I would highly recommend going and actually walking around these places to see if you can get a feel for what your wedding could look like. :o)
  • edited December 2011
    [QUOTE]I think Hall & Gardens of Landmark (Garner) allows you to bring in a caterer.  Not sure about their pricing otherwise.
    Posted by ashleynwilliams[/QUOTE]
     I was going to suggest them, but I don't know their pricing either. I know that we decided against them because of the location and the cocktail hour space.

I know the Grand Marquise allows outside cateres, but idk about ceremony locations.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    11-12-11
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicVisit The Knot! Visit Purple.weddings.com

Two Become One

November 12, 2011

288 invited
    163 accepted!
    9 can't make it
    116 haven't responded yet....
    RSVP Date October 12, 2011

• NcsuPsychNcsuPsych member
    Combo Breaker First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_north-carolina_raleighdurham-venue-needed-work-catererplease?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:115Discussion:1ce6e1f2-a5c7-4303-b5ef-6089febce325Post:de907fec-679e-4368-ae23-76d02c914966">Re: Raleigh/Durham venue needed to work with caterer...please help!</a>:
    [QUOTE] I was going to suggest them, but I don't know their pricing either. I know that we decided against them because of the location and the cocktail hour space. I know the<strong> Grand Marquise</strong> allows outside cateres, but idk about ceremony locations.
    Posted by krystalaldre[/QUOTE]

My friend got married there this past may. She had here ceremony in the ballroom, then everyone (300 + guests) went into the main hallway / outside for the 'cocktail hour' while the caterers were getting set up inside the ballroom and the WP was taking pictures. So, everything can be done there and it worked out well. Its really just a HUGE room and I feel like depending on the style of the wedding, you could get 'lost' in the size (if that makes any sense at all). It's a very pretty venue though :)
  • alliegator8alliegator8 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My friend is having her wedding at the Life and Science Museum in Durham in 2 weeks.  They have a large tent set up in front of the butterfly house.  They also have a nice area inside as well.  And she is allowed to bring in whatever caterer she wants. 
  • edited December 2011
    Thank you Alliegator, I sent an email to the preson in charge of events at that museum a few days ago about the caterer choice and haven't heard back. It is the closest venue on my potential list to the airport hotels which makes it very convienet for out of town guests.

The butterfly house is also very pretty.
  • edited December 2011
    Thank you everyone! I'm still not sure if the venues on my list will work but I don't feel like going as crazy any more.

NcsuPsych: I agree about the Grand Marquise, it is a bit big (and twice my budget) but I will definitely check out the Rand-Bryan house.

The Hall & Gardens of Landmark are very pretty but do advertise their prices similar to the Grand Marquise, but since my catering choice has worked there before I will keep it in mind.

kelsey: I love the Mordecai House! It's down the block from my house. St. Marks chapel is a little too small for all of our guests but we plan to take our first look pictures there the morning of the wedding. :)

Thank you all for bringing up good options for us. I'm sure I wont know until I actually get off my computer and go see them but thanks for your help.

If anyone else has a venue in mind for us I welcome the advice!

• tarheelbabstarheelbabs member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    One more suggestion:  if you're interested in an outdoor venue, Montague Pond is very nice it's on Penny Road in Raleigh, near Cary.  You'd need to rent a tent for a reception, but they have a covered area that will accommodate 120--I think it's a bit casual for a wedding reception.  We're having our rehearsal dinner out there.  Very pretty setting.  I came acoss it on a photographer's website.  He had photographed a wedding out there and they had used a tent. The rent is very minimal.
  • edited December 2011
    The only problem with an outdoor venue is that we're getting married in October. Which, with the way the weather has been for the past few years, will either be in the 80's or the 40's. So I don't want to chance having everyone outside the whole time.

Thank you for the off the beaten path suggestion. The only way to find out about places like that is word of mouth so I really appreciate it!
  • edited December 2011
    Is there a website for the Montague Farm Pond?

I am looking for some contact information.  Also, what is a reasonable rental price for a tent for 150 guests?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards