Wedding Etiquette Forum

Where should father-of-grooms girlfriend sit?

Re: Where should father-of-grooms girlfriend sit?

• Natrasha, your mom is GORGEOUS in that dress!  Actually, your entire wedding is gorgeous, but your mom looks especially radiant there.  :-)
    imagemy to-read shelf:
    Steph's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (to-read shelf)
  • Thanks gals! She did look amazing. I only wish things could have been completely tension free for her. But she was able to brush everything off and have fun. She sucked it up for an hour or so, and then was able to enjoy herself.

OP, you don't have to like it, but you can get through it and then just enjoy the rest of the evening!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_where-should-father-of-grooms-girlfriend-sit?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:9ed7ae20-ff62-4787-a632-2252f92fe0dcPost:95c604e7-d86f-4f73-bf41-25a267ce9b1f">Re: Where should father-of-grooms girlfriend sit?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Where should father-of-grooms girlfriend sit? : <strong>The girlfriend didn't break up your marriage.  your HUSBAND did.  She didn't cheat on you...HE didn't. it's easy to blame the other woman, but the truth is she has absolutely no commitment to you. </strong>FWIW, i've also been in a similar situation.  My ex-to-be was cheating on me.  He was living with his new girlfriend prior to when our divorce was final (which never actually finalized due to his death, but that is irrlevant here).     To be completely honest THEY lived in my basement.   It was an horrible dreadful sitatuion and i look back on it with a lot of disdain. But I can absolutely assure you with 100% certainly that I would still make dang sure my son's wedding day was about him.   I would put on my happy face, let ex- and his girlfriend sit in the front row.  I would ask for 2 tables at the reception, but i would not expect my child to have to be in the middle of my battle. Edit for spelling
    Posted by myname1234[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>While I agree with you, I think it's pretty freaking unrealistic to not hold any hard feelings for the other woman. I'd want to claw her eyes out, but of course same to FI. </div><div>
    </div><div>To be fair, the affair also wouldn't have happened if the other woman had said, "No, I'm sorry, call me when you're divorced." Not to sound like the OP and all society is damned or whatnot, but I think it takes two to tango. Just my opinion. 

</div>
    April Siggy Challenge-Wedding Escape: Reading HG/dreaming about Peeta.... Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker Bio-Updated 4/22**
  • I thank those of you who gave kind, constructive and thought provoking comments. For those of you who were sarcastic, rude, and insulting - it was totally unneccesary. It's sad that we live in a "mean society" and not  coincidental that Hollywood produced a show call "mean girls". I found many here. 

This was my first post, and I had hoped to find kind and compassionalte opinions - whatever they were. Your children will learn what you are living - and speaking. May God help us all.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_where-should-father-of-grooms-girlfriend-sit?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:9ed7ae20-ff62-4787-a632-2252f92fe0dcPost:439a484e-f98d-48ac-a735-91f3539da1e8">Re: Where should father-of-grooms girlfriend sit?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I thank those of you who gave kind, constructive and thought provoking comments. For those of you who were sarcastic, rude, and insulting - it was totally unneccesary. It's sad that we live in a "mean society" and not  coincidental that Hollywood produced a show call "mean girls". I found many here.  This was my first post, and I had hoped to find kind and compassionalte opinions - whatever they were. Your children will learn what you are living - and speaking. <strong>May God help us all.</strong>
    Posted by decency[/QUOTE]

<div>Oy. </div>
    April Siggy Challenge-Wedding Escape: Reading HG/dreaming about Peeta.... Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker Bio-Updated 4/22**
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_where-should-father-of-grooms-girlfriend-sit?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:9ed7ae20-ff62-4787-a632-2252f92fe0dcPost:439a484e-f98d-48ac-a735-91f3539da1e8">Re: Where should father-of-grooms girlfriend sit?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I thank those of you who gave kind, constructive and thought provoking comments. For those of you who were sarcastic, rude, and insulting - it was totally unneccesary. It's sad that we live in a "mean society" and not  coincidental that Hollywood produced a show call "mean girls". I found many here.  This was my first post, and I had hoped to find kind and compassionalte opinions - whatever they were. <strong>Your children will learn what you are living - and speaking.</strong> May God help us all.

yes because I will totally speak to my children the way I speak to strangers online.
  • Wow.  just....wow.

OP, while there were some posts a little light on tact, everyone is just trying to give you good advice.  With proper ettiqute, you don't split up seating for couples in actual relationships, REGARDLES of how you feel about said relationship.  Yes, it sucks, and yes, I can understand that it makes you uncomfortable.  But this isn't your wedding or event, this is your son's wedding.  So my question to you is are going to really start drama over this, or are you going to be bigger person and smile and turn the other cheek for the sake of your son? 

Harry Potter is about confronting fears, finding inner strength, and doing what is right in the face of adversity. Twilight is about how important it is to have a boyfriend. - Andrew Futral

[QUOTE]I thank those of you who gave kind, constructive and thought provoking comments. For those of you who were sarcastic, rude, and insulting - it was totally unneccesary. It's sad that we live in a "mean society" and not  coincidental that Hollywood produced a show call "mean girls". I found many here.  This was my first post, and I had hoped to find kind and compassionalte opinions - whatever they were. Your children will learn what you are living - and speaking. May God help us all.

People were trying to give you constructive advice.  It's not their fault you didn't like it or want to listen to it.  I can understand being hurt, but publically slighting your husband's GF is not a mature or classy thing to do, or to make your son do.

And feeling sorry for the children that some of us don't have yet is pretty sad.  And a bit of a stretch.

Books read in 2012: 21/50

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• OP, I know this is a sensitive subject for you, and that you're having a hard time accepting that his GF should sit with him. I sympathize with that, because it sucks. But....simply put, she should sit with him. It's rude and against etiquette to break up couples.

What is really sad, is that it's parents with opinions like this that make things SO difficult for us kids of divorce. I've been more time and energy than I should have worrying over how not to offend each of my parents, because they're divorced.

In short, I think you need to suck it up and deal. I know it sounds harsh, but you know what the right thing to do it, you just don't want to accept it.

My mom and I don't have a great relationship. She bailed when I was in HS because moving out of state with her boyfriend was more important to her. My stepmom on the other hand is great, and we're VERY close. I refuse to slight her in any way just because she didn't birth me 27 years ago.  On top of that, my mom's douche on-again/off-again bf has now decided to be her date. THe thought of him sitting in the front row makes me so irritated but it is what it is.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_where-should-father-of-grooms-girlfriend-sit?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:9ed7ae20-ff62-4787-a632-2252f92fe0dcPost:59ed9326-75cd-41c1-ac7b-ef2c1c679bab">Re: Where should father-of-grooms girlfriend sit?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Where should father-of-grooms girlfriend sit? : While I agree with you, I think it's pretty freaking unrealistic to not hold any hard feelings for the other woman. I'd want to claw her eyes out, but of course same to FI.  <div>
    </div><div><strong>To be fair, the affair also wouldn't have happened if the other woman had said, "No, I'm sorry, call me when you're divorced."</strong> Not to sound like the OP and all society is damned or whatnot, but I think it takes two to tango. Just my opinion. 
    Posted by em01092[/QUOTE]</div><div>
    </div><div>Yes, it would have happened just with a different woman. For all we know the "other woman" could have been told by the OP's ex that he was already separated. 

</div>
  • KatWAGKatWAG member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited March 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_where-should-father-of-grooms-girlfriend-sit?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:9ed7ae20-ff62-4787-a632-2252f92fe0dcPost:f63ba3a2-479d-474a-a59c-3bbf63b1db03">Re: Where should father-of-grooms girlfriend sit?</a>:
    [QUOTE]OP, I know this is a sensitive subject for you, and that you're having a hard time accepting that his GF should sit with him. I sympathize with that, because it sucks. But....simply put, she should sit with him. It's rude and against etiquette to break up couples. <strong>What is really sad, is that it's parents with opinions like this that make things SO difficult for us kids of divorce. I've been more time and energy than I should have worrying over how not to offend each of my parents, because they're divorced.</strong> In short, I think you need to suck it up and deal. I know it sounds harsh, but you know what the right thing to do it, you just don't want to accept it. My mom and I don't have a great relationship. She bailed when I was in HS because moving out of state with her boyfriend was more important to her. My stepmom on the other hand is great, and we're VERY close. I refuse to slight her in any way just because she didn't birth me 27 years ago.  On top of that, my mom's douche on-again/off-again bf has now decided to be her date. THe thought of him sitting in the front row makes me so irritated but it is what it is.
    Posted by Starfish0116[/QUOTE]

Couldnt have said it better.

OP, you still havent said what your son wants.

My parents are divorced. My mom is not a fan of my Dad's girlfriend. It has made planning the ceremony, pictures, seating charts etc very hard. My parents arent willing to take the high road for few hours and that hurts. And it seems to be what you are doing to your son.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • OP I'm not sure you'll be back to even read the remainder of these posts, but I will just say this:

My mother has been married 3 times, her 2 ex's (and their SO's) and her current husband were in attendance. My parents pushed me to make some decision for the wedding that ended up hurting my other parent. I now hold resentment for that...I'm sure that is not what you want happening. I don't see the problem with everyone sitting in the front row, you don't have to sit next to the new GF...as far as a know no one has a picture of the first row of pews on their wall, and that seating arrangement has nothing to do with pictures. 

I understand your upset, and it sounds like your EX definitely did you wrong, but please PLEASE do not make your son pay for his mistake. By forcing him to make a choice between pleasing you or pleasing his father, you are doing JUST that. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_where-should-father-of-grooms-girlfriend-sit?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:9ed7ae20-ff62-4787-a632-2252f92fe0dcPost:59ed9326-75cd-41c1-ac7b-ef2c1c679bab">Re: Where should father-of-grooms girlfriend sit?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Where should father-of-grooms girlfriend sit? : While I agree with you, <strong>I think it's pretty freaking unrealistic to not hold any hard feelings</strong> for the other woman. I'd want to claw her eyes out, but of course same to FI.  To be fair, the affair also wouldn't have happened if the other woman had said, "No, I'm sorry, call me when you're divorced." Not to sound like the OP and all society is damned or whatnot, but I think it takes two to tango. Just my opinion. 
    Posted by em01092[/QUOTE]

I agree.  I had some very hard feelings toward the girlfriend.  But i also realized she wasn't to blame for my marriage ending.  At the end of the day, it was HIS responsibility to say no.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_where-should-father-of-grooms-girlfriend-sit?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:9ed7ae20-ff62-4787-a632-2252f92fe0dcPost:ffd964f4-bdfd-4a7d-a205-a5887e35f991">Re: Where should father-of-grooms girlfriend sit?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Where should father-of-grooms girlfriend sit? : Yes, it <strong>would have happened just with a different woman.</strong> For all we know the "other woman" could have been told by the OP's ex that he was already separated. 

This is very true
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • em01092em01092 member
    First Comment
    edited March 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_where-should-father-of-grooms-girlfriend-sit?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:9ed7ae20-ff62-4787-a632-2252f92fe0dcPost:ffd964f4-bdfd-4a7d-a205-a5887e35f991">Re: Where should father-of-grooms girlfriend sit?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Where should father-of-grooms girlfriend sit? : Yes, it would have happened just with a different woman. For all we know the "other woman" could have been told by the OP's ex that he was already separated. 

<div>Ok, but my point still stands about women in general having the attitude I described, not this one specifically. I know that it's also unrealistic to expect every person to be like that and say no to a married person, but it would knock half of the equation out. </div><div>
    </div><div>And yes, if she didn't know, well then I feel that she is less blameworthy than if she did know. I get that. Again, I see the other side, and I totally agree that the one in the relationship is the one the spouse should be more upset with, but all I am saying is it's kind of hard for the spouse to cheat by himself. </div><div>
    </div><div>Edited for more info and clarity</div>
  • I have this same issue. My dad is remarried with a woman he was cheating on my mom with I'm gonna invite her but she will not sit on the front row with my parents.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_where-should-father-of-grooms-girlfriend-sit?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:9ed7ae20-ff62-4787-a632-2252f92fe0dcPost:5f413518-1dab-4418-91b2-a8359e79c516">Re: Where should father-of-grooms girlfriend sit?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I have this same issue. My dad is remarried with a woman he was cheating on my mom with I'm gonna invite her but she will not sit on the front row with my parents.
    Posted by Strv2perfection[/QUOTE]

By all means, don't read the rest of the thread.

You (and OP) can do what you want. You're going to anyway.  But publically snubbing your father's GF isn't going to do anything except make you look petty and immature, make them feel slighted, and cause MORE drama.

• edited March 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_where-should-father-of-grooms-girlfriend-sit?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:9ed7ae20-ff62-4787-a632-2252f92fe0dcPost:439a484e-f98d-48ac-a735-91f3539da1e8">Re: Where should father-of-grooms girlfriend sit?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I thank those of you who gave kind, constructive and thought provoking comments. For those of you who were sarcastic, rude, and insulting - it was totally unneccesary. It's sad that we live in a "mean society" and not  coincidental that Hollywood produced a show call "mean girls". I found many here.  This was my first <strong>post, and I had hoped to find kind and compassionalte opinions</strong> - whatever they were. Your children will learn what you are living - and speaking. May God help us all.

1.  Your first post said "this My son feels caught in the middle in trying to please me, and trying to please his Dad"
                      <strong>YOU are putting him in the middle

</strong>2.  You mentioned marriages involved Commitment and covenant
                     <strong>OF COURSE</strong>...but what does that have to do with your son?  this is HIS wedding - not yours.

3.  People did give you kind and constructive comments.  "Maybe ask for 2 tables" .  You just didnt like them because they didn't validate your point.

4.  And finally this...<strong>Your children will learn what you are living - and speaking
    </strong>So shall your son.  He will learn you are preaching the Bible as you see fit, but seem to miss the parts about "turn the other cheek" "charity starts at home" and my personal favorite in relation to this post "only God can judge"

OP, I feel for you...I really do.  As the "other woman" it SUCKS.  But this day is about your son.  You are making it about you and are putting him in a very uncomfortable place because YOU still hold anger. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • decencydecency member
    First Comment
    edited March 2012
    I want to thank many or you for your kind, constructive, and thought provoking comments. As far as those of you who posted sarcastic and rude comments, suggesting that I don't care what my son thinks - I am truly shocked - totally unnecessary and "mean-spirited".

This was my first post and I had hoped to find intelligent women who could share their opinions with compassion and understanding. Instead, I found "mean girls". Now I know where the idea for the tv show came from.  Remember, your children learn from the character of their moms.  No wonder so many are mocked and bullied.
    God help us all.
  • edited March 2012
    Decency, I think you missed the point.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_where-should-father-of-grooms-girlfriend-sit?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:9ed7ae20-ff62-4787-a632-2252f92fe0dcPost:481a5612-6580-45d9-bbde-fd7c33d98148">Re: Where should father-of-grooms girlfriend sit?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I want to thank many or you for your kind, constructive, and thought provoking comments. As far as those of you who posted sarcastic and rude comments, suggesting that I don't care what my son thinks - I am truly shocked - totally unnecessary and "mean-spirited". This was my first post and I had hoped to find intelligent women who could share their opinions with compassion and understanding. Instead, I found "mean girls". Now I know where the idea for the tv show came from.  Remember, your children learn from the character of their moms.  No wonder so many are mocked and bullied. God help us all.

Decency, we get it.  You're not happy with the responses you got.  You didn't feel the compassion and understanding that you feel you are entitled to.  Newsflash: this is a public message board.  You were not personally attacked, you just didn't get the response you were looking for.

And we get that you think our future children are all in need of saving from God.  You basically just wrote the same post as above...a second time.  We get it.  If you're not happy here, you are welcome to try weddingbee or weddingwire.

• Am I reading the same thread as the OP?

Not taking your side is not being mean-spirited.  

We all agree the situation sucks.  There is no doubt about it.  For the sake of your son (and his wife), be the bigger person.   You will be the one who looks like the classy, awesome ex-wife.   Making this a bigger deal than it needs to be only adds more stress for the couple and honestly doesn't put you in a good light.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Your son did not ask for anything unreasonable. There is nothing torturous about sitting next to some people for an hour, tops.

No one is saying your exH was right to cheat on you. In that regard, he was wrong, absolutely wrong. Shunning his girlfriend and not letting him sit with her is also wrong, and that's what you seem to be doing.

Your son did not ask for your exH to cheat on you. He did not ask for his parents to get divorced. He did not ask for the two of you to be unwilling to be civil for a few hours. None of this is his fault, yet you're trying to punish him.

Take the high road.
  • StephanieM22StephanieM22 member
    First Comment
    edited March 2012
    Suck it up for one day we get that you don't like the woman and don't have to but put on a smile and deal with it for your sons wedding. 

FI's mom was the other woman in FFIL's first marriage. They got married and then 10 years later FMIL left FFIL for another guy who she has now been married to for almost 12 years. FFIL is also remarried and the current spouses hate FMIL and FFIL. (They don't hate their own spouse but the spouses ex) I hope that made sense. But anyway all 4 of them have managed to be civil during family occasions that require them all to be there. If they can do it so can you. 
    Daisypath Wedding tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I just want to know why you flat-out refuse to tell us what your son wants to do in this situation.  I'm willing to bet that it's because he agrees with us, and you don't like that. 
    It sounds like at this point you're angry, bitter, and resentful of your ex-husband, and you're using this wedding to make a very public 'eff you' moment to him.  That's not classy, and I'd like to think you're better than that.  Your son's wedding isn't the place for this. 

I think your best bet right now is to shut up, fake a smile, and stop putting your son in the middle.  Have some respect for him and do what he wants you to do.  Otherwise, I'd expect to find myself completely excluded from any and all future planning, and possibly excluded from the wedding itself.  All because you chose to use YOUR personal bitterness to make a happy event in your child's life all about YOU.  If I were your son, I wouldn't want you around at all right now. You're turning a happy time into a miserable, stressful one for him.  Do you want him to have bad memories of his wedding day because his mother acted like a baby about a chair?  He'll resent the hell out of you for it, that's for sure.  What happens down the road when he wants to take his family to spend Christmas with his father and not you?  Are you going to whine and pout and hold it against him too?  That's his father, even if he did do something jerky. 

The bigger a scene you continue to make, the more your son is going to distance himself from you, the less involved you'll be in his life, the less you'll see him and your future grandchildren...if that's what you think will get him to give you your way, try it.  Come back and tell us what happens.
  • edited March 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_where-should-father-of-grooms-girlfriend-sit?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:9ed7ae20-ff62-4787-a632-2252f92fe0dcPost:481a5612-6580-45d9-bbde-fd7c33d98148">Re: Where should father-of-grooms girlfriend sit?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I want to thank many or you for your kind, constructive, and thought provoking comments. As far as those of you who posted sarcastic and rude comments, suggesting that I don't care what my son thinks - I am truly shocked - totally unnecessary and "mean-spirited". This was my first post and I had hoped to find intelligent women who could share their opinions with compassion and understanding. Instead, I found "mean girls". Now I know where the idea for the tv show came from.  Remember, your children learn from the character of their moms.  No wonder so many are mocked and bullied. God help us all.

I gotta ask, are you even reading the other posts here?  We are genuinely trying to help you.  I'm so sorry we can't validate your opinion, but we're not going to do that if we belive your opinion is wrong.  Which mostly we do.  We're trying to give you advice that will help your son that you say you love so much to have a happy wedding without drama.  Even if it means you have to do something you don't like.  We are not bullying or harrassing you in any way.  If you want someone to sugercoat and validate your opinion, no matter how wrong, go over the wedding bee. 

Also?  I personally find your comments about us a little insulting.  We are not 'mean girls'.  We are people that are trying to help anyone that asks, even if it means telling a harsh truth.   And as one that was mocked and bullied all through school, I can assure you that not one girl doing the bullying was actually trying to help or give me truthful advice.   

Harry Potter is about confronting fears, finding inner strength, and doing what is right in the face of adversity. Twilight is about how important it is to have a boyfriend. - Andrew Futral

• Sons only learn from the character of their moms? I'm fairly certain they also learn from the character (or lack of character) of their fathers as well. Let's hope your son learned not to cheat on his wife from his parents' unsuccessful marriage. And let's also hope he learned not to be a whiny, bitter martyr after seeing how unattractive it is in his mother. God help your son.
  • bongebonge member
    First Comment
    My parents are divorced. No it was not amicable. My parents were BOTH alcoholics at that time, they should have divorced years prior but didn't & my mom left him for another man. There is plenty of tension, but for the first time ever since 1997 (my grad in 2003 they did not even speak, my mom had a hard time smiling in pics) my parents came together last year amicably because my sister desperately needed both of them when she went through major crisis. 

They did it because they love their children (though not each other). My mom even cooked him supper when she was hosting a meal at my sisters house because us coming 1000 miles & him being excluded would have been rude. 

I will find out what they want, the front row can only sit 4, so either the 4 of them sit together, or my dad & his friend will be behind them, not sure yet, but i won't worry about it. I may put my dad in the 2nd row with his mom. They can figure it out, they are adults & will come together for me, it doesn't mean they like it, but it DOES mean they care more about me than their feelings. 

230 image Invited
    154 image Are ready to party
    56 image Missing out
    20 image Can't find the mailbox (tick tock)

RSVP Date: 6/1/2012
  • edited March 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_where-should-father-of-grooms-girlfriend-sit?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:9ed7ae20-ff62-4787-a632-2252f92fe0dcPost:97f1f179-dfb4-4dc2-a04f-ea47b50a522b">Re: Where should father-of-grooms girlfriend sit?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Sons only learn from the character of their moms? I'm fairly certain they also learn from the character (or lack of character) of their fathers as well. Let's hope your son learned not to cheat on his wife from his parents' unsuccessful marriage. And let's also hope he learned not to be a whiny, bitter martyr after seeing how unattractive it is in his mother. God help your son.
    Posted by zitiqueen[/QUOTE]

Ziti, I have always liked you, but I do believe I love you now.  Where is an "applause" icon when I need one?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_where-should-father-of-grooms-girlfriend-sit?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:9ed7ae20-ff62-4787-a632-2252f92fe0dcPost:2d3ef524-3ad3-46a7-9e6f-3cb7bb1efd18">Re: Where should father-of-grooms girlfriend sit?</a>:
    [QUOTE]So Mrs. B,  are you saying that when your son marries - you would be OK with your ex-husband having his girlfriend (one that he was living with while you were still married), sit on the front row with you?  Please put yourself in my shoes. One of the ten commandments is to "Honor your Mother and Father". <strong>I think a problem with our culture is the attitude toward tolerance.</strong>  You are right that marriage is about love and relationships - AND commitment and covenant.

Er, what's the problem with tolerance?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards