Minnesota-Minneapolis and St. Paul

Alterations at Macy's Bridal??

Has anyone had any experience with alterations at Macy's Bridal salon?? Did it go well? Did they do a good job? Are prices reasonable or comparable?

Re: Alterations at Macy's Bridal??

• Bimbi284Bimbi284 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I haven't, but I am guessing they would be far more expensive than other options, similar to other bridal stores.
  • edited December 2011
    They quoted me at $400 for a hem so I am going to say they are not comparable.
    :)
  • maybe984maybe984 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Generally, it's always a good idea to find a small shop that specializes in alterations, or an independent seamstress... if you're looking for the best deal. Bridal shops WAY overcharge.

I used Louise Kegley in St. Paul (a board fave) who does amazing work and rarely charges more than $150 unless she's basically rebuilding your dress. I know there are a few other independent seamstresses that also get great reviews on here, but their names are escaping me.
  • edited December 2011
    I purchased my dress from Macy's, but there was no way I was going to pay for alterations there when they said prices started at $450!  I used Louise too and she has been awesome to work with. She did my dress, 4 of my BM's, the flower girl and my mom's.  She does great work and her prices cannot be beat.
  • edited December 2011
    Louise is in the process of altering my dress, and I love her so far.  I've had two appointments with her and am very happy with the quality of her work.  Plus, she loves brides and weddings and altering wedding dresses - so she is always super happy to see you and chat about all your wedding details!!

My Planning Bio Updated 9.2.11
    My New House Bio! Updated 5.8.11
    image 356 Invited image 144 will be there! image 212 missing out image 0 holding up the show

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I haven't used Macy's for alterations but I'll echo what the others have said about independent shops charging less for the same quality. To give you an idea, I paid $110 to Louise Kegley for hemming and a three-point bustle. Louise isn't the only game in town - as long as you don't need a dress rebuild, most indie shops should be able to do great work.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    I know there are other great seamstresses out there!! It just makes me nervous spending $4,000 on dess and placing it in someones hands.... I feel like Macy's is then held liable if they make a mistake...
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_minnesota-minneapolis-st-paul_alterations-macys-bridal?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:81Discussion:bc28b6e1-efa4-4a08-a51f-bc09cfed5985Post:86039ba9-ff12-4152-a8c6-eb7fb86c5f67">Re: Alterations at Macy's Bridal??</a>:
    [QUOTE]I know there are other great seamstresses out there!! It just makes me nervous spending $4,000 on dess and placing it in someones hands.... I feel like Macy's is then held liable if they make a mistake...
    Posted by Soon*to*be*Hoang[/QUOTE]

<div>Honestly? If I had invested that much into my dress, I think I'd have had some serious reservations about leaving it at someone's home... Good gravy, my seamstress lost my dress bag and I had to hike my dress way way over my head to keep the street dirt off of it! I'm pretty sure that wouldn't happen at Macy's.</div><div>
    </div><div>How about The Dressmaker in Edina? </div>
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    If you are willing to spend $4,000 on a dress then I suppose spending hundreds on alterations in no biggie. In that case, stick with Macy's
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards