Wisconsin

Ceremony vs Reception location

My fiancé and I are trying to figure out which church to get married at. Our reception is booked at Pier Wisconsin, downtown. The church I have been attending, and the priest we have been working with is in Dousman. We have the option of holding the ceremony downtown. My issues with the downtown church is that it is street parking only. I really love the church in Dousman, but it is far from the reception location. Our timeline would be short, giving guests an hour and a half between ceremony and reception. Has anyone else travelled far between ceremony and reception? Is it really terrible?

Re: Ceremony vs Reception location

• edited December 2011
    It depends on what time everything is.  If you have your wedding ceremony early in the morning around 11:00 or so, then your church in Dousman will be fine.  Sometimes there are big gaps between the ceremony and reception and most people are aware of that.  Some find it unpleasant, but if your guests really love you they won't care.

The only tricky thing is if the weather gets bad, then people might not attend the reception.  But I say get married in the church that means something to you.  That's the most important part of the day. :)

Good luck!

142 Ready To Celebrate! image

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • jberg134jberg134 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    According to google maps the drive would be about 45 minutes.  To me that would be a bit far to expect guests to travel, unless the guests are all from the metro area and realize that sometimes getting across town takes 45 minutes (it takes me 45 in traffic to get to work).  I think I'd go with the Cathedral.  Parking downtown shouldn't be too bad on a Saturday unless you are competing with a large event.  Depending on your budget you might be able to contract a valet parking company to provide that service to your guests if you are worried about parking.
    September 2011 Siggy Challange: Honeymoon!
    image 145 Made the cut!
    image 59 Are ready to celebrate! image 23 Are missing out! image 65 Don't know the meaning of RSVP!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • DanicaDanica member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    How many out of town guests do you have?  If it's a large number, I would stick with having the ceremony downtown.  It's one thing for local guests to make the drive, but when an out of town guest has no idea where they are and is staying in a hotel that is most likely by the reception, that's a lot to ask.

If your budget allows it and you really want the church in Dousman, I would look into transportation service for your guests.  You could have the pick up stops be at the hotel(s) you are blocked at and go from there. 
  • edited December 2011

Perhaps you could hold the ceremony downtown - have your guests park at Pier Wisconsin and be shuttled back and forth between the church and reception site.  45 minutes is a bit far to expect guests to drive.  Especially, if they're in the Metro Milwaukee area as it is...Driving 30 minutes out to Dousman and then 45 to downtown is a bit much in my opinion.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • jberg134jberg134 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_wisconsin_ceremony-vs-reception-location?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:118Discussion:24529dd0-ab50-4741-a061-45a984467a5ePost:86073ec4-0233-4f8f-af33-2504f701de49">Re: Ceremony vs Reception location</a>:
    [QUOTE]Perhaps you could hold the ceremony downtown - <strong>have your guests park at Pier Wisconsin and be shuttled back and forth between the church and reception site.</strong>  45 minutes is a bit far to expect guests to drive.  Especially, if they're in the Metro Milwaukee area as it is...Driving 30 minutes out to Dousman and then 45 to downtown is a bit much in my opinion.
    Posted by browneyedbride7[/QUOTE]

This is a great idea!
    September 2011 Siggy Challange: Honeymoon!
    image 145 Made the cut!
    image 59 Are ready to celebrate! image 23 Are missing out! image 65 Don't know the meaning of RSVP!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Every minute counts on your wedding day. Even for you and the wedding party you may find it frustrating. Get the shuttle or would you consider doing the ceremony at Pier Wisconsin?
  • varsity714varsity714 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks Girls - At the moment I have the ceremony site at Pier Wisconsin booked. It's $1000 to do it there, where the church costs nothing. (gift from the episcopal church). I have out of town guests, but most are local. 45 minute drive is a bit much - I guess I'm really use to making the drive. I have thought about shuttling - 
  • edited December 2011
    You should have the ceremony at the church that you love and the cost of no charge. Most of your guests are local and that shouldn't be a problem for them to drive compared to the out of towner. Plus, not many guest attend ceremony; they come for the food.
    I went to my coworker's wedding where the ceremony was held in Hartford and the reception in downtown Milwaukee.  Most of her guests were local and they made the trip to both occasion.
    The best part of her is you save $1,000 that can go somewhere else in the wedding.

Good Luck!
  • edited December 2011
    [QUOTE] <strong>Plus, not many guest attend ceremony; they come for the food.</strong>
    Posted by LISASUM[/QUOTE]

That is a bit ridiculous to say.

OP - I think you are fine with choosing either option for your ceremony.  I would consider, as the other girls have mentioned, a means of transportation for your OOT guests as well as a good timeline should you use the one further away.  While you are taking pictures, the drive could actually be a good filler of time between the ceremony and the reception.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards