Attire & Accessories Forum

Is this tacky?

I have bought two wedding dresses, and I can't decide which I want to wear. One is a strapless aline chiffon dress and the other is a silk satin corseted sheath. They are both beautiful, but very different. Would it be tacky if I wore the chiffon dress for the ceremony and the satin dress for the reception? My family is telling me its tacky, but I can't decide if it is.

Re: Is this tacky?

• I don't think it is tacky.  It is your choice if you want to wear two dresses.  Many girls do it.  If you do, I think (without seeing them) that the chiffon for the ceremony and the satin for the reception would be nice.
  • These are the dresses.

• I think the word tacky is waaaay over used on the boards, that said, I don't see a problem with having two dresses if that's what you want.
  • In Response to Re: Is this tacky?:
    [QUOTE]I think the word tacky is waaaay over used on the boards, that said, I don't see a problem with having two dresses if that's what you want.
    Posted by mgietler76[/QUOTE]

I can't stand the word "tacky" because I read it so much here!

To address your question, OP...I generally am not a fan of 2 dresses, as I don't see the point in spending all that money on 2 expensive dresses, both of which will only be worn for just a few hours.  However, since you already have them I think it's fine to wear one for the ceremony and one for the reception.
    Anniversary
  • Personally, I am paying a lot for my dress and will wear it for as long as possible (the whooole night).

That being said, it is pretty common for girls to have 2 dresses.  Usually the "reception" dress is lighter, more casual, more comfortable, and sometimes cocktail-length.  A dress that is easier to relax and party in.  From the looks of your dresses I'd say the chiffon one is the lighter casual party dress, but whatever floats your boat.  If you want to wear 2 dresses, go for it.
  • I love them both, if it makes you happy and you can afford it, definitely wear both of them! I change my answer though I had voted satin dress first but after seeing them i say:

Chiffon dress for ceremony and satin dress for reception!

good luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • The only reason it would be tacky is if you were cheap at the reception (like had a cash bar) and had over-luxurious attire.
  • I do not see a problem with changing dresses. The first one is more sweet and is perfect for the ceremony. The second one is more fun so it is a good fit for the reception. I say go for it, why waste a dress.
  • I wouldn't call it tacky, and having two dresses isn't normally a bad thing, but neither of those dresses is what I'd call a reception dress. Both are long and somewhat formal. I think it may look like you just couldn't make up your mind (which is the case). So not tacky...but a bit strange.

I'm curious about why you would spend so much on buying two dresses in the first place. If I were you, I'd return one of them and just wear one dress for the whole wedding.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_this-tacky?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:15Discussion:6bc66891-42dd-4e94-87bf-321550c44c3cPost:19283928-6116-41af-91d5-3b71f5f24fca">Re: Is this tacky?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I wouldn't call it tacky, and having two dresses isn't normally a bad thing, but neither of those dresses is what I'd call a reception dress. Both are long and somewhat formal. I think it may look like you just couldn't make up your mind (which is the case). So not tacky...but a bit strange. I'm curious about why you would spend so much on buying two dresses in the first place.<strong> If I were you, I'd return one of them </strong>and just wear one dress for the whole wedding.
    Posted by flamingtwig72[/QUOTE]

You know you generally can't return wedding dresses, right? 
    Anniversary
  • Thanks, I needed the pictures to decide! Yes, definitely the Chiffon dress for ceremony and satin dress for reception!  Hey you have both of them areadly - why not wear them! They are both beautiful!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards