Eco-Friendly Weddings

Compostable Plates and Utensils

We are planning on using plates and utensils that are 100% compostable and biodegradable.  Can anyone offer me some great wording on how let our guests know?  We're doing this in an effort to reduce our carbon footprint caused by the wedding...I would appreciate any tips or suggestions.  There will be a sign on the buffet table....

Re: Compostable Plates and Utensils

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-theme-boards_eco-friendly-weddings_compostable-plates-and-utensils?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Theme%20BoardsForum:584Discussion:b1f0c21f-dcd7-4b82-9ae4-9e7d3dc040ebPost:5198bf33-8147-4bb1-b10a-1a1caa831650">Compostable Plates and Utensils</a>:
    [QUOTE]We are planning on using plates and utensils that are 100% compostable and biodegradable.  Can anyone offer me some great wording on how let our guests know?  We're doing this in an effort to reduce our carbon footprint caused by the wedding...I would appreciate any tips or suggestions.  There will be a sign on the buffet table....
    Posted by carissalf[/QUOTE]

If you're set on doing biodegradeable stuff, I'd have the sign say something like "These utensils are made of all [corn starch/other material you use]". Then, in smaller print, "But I still wouldn't suggest eating them. Stick with our yummy food, instead!" That's just a suggestion, though. As long as you don't say it condescendingly, you should be fine.

On the other hand, though, biodegradeable stuff still makes a bigger carbon footprint than just reusing plates and utensils. have you considered renting them from someplace? It takes a lot less energy and resources to wash plates that already exist than to manufacture them for one occasion.
  • THE WEBstaurant store has many selections also SustyParty .com they are beautiful to and based ne ny city.

• Has anyone used these ?? http://www.leafnfiber.com
    These palm leaf plates look gorgeous and goes with my theme..but has anyone used it before? Any opinions?
  • Hi everyone, I just had my wedding a last year and I went all eco-friendly when it came to dinnerware. I found a great product that was eco-friendly and also looked great, Bamboo Studio was a great choice for me on my budget, not only did I get my order very quickly but I go 15% off my webbing order. The website is www.shopbamboostudio.com, let me know what ya'll thing. 

• I love what you're doing but I would probably use reusable "regular" plates, etc and just wash them afterwards. Unless that's totally not feasible. It seems the most eco friendly. 

You have to compost the biodegradable things for them to work, because even biodegradable items (like newspapers and banana peels) don't biodegrade properly in landfills because it's packed so tightly the air and microorganisms can't get in. So even though your heart's in the right place, you may just be creating more trash.
  • sovawaneasovawanea member
    5 Love Its First Answer First Anniversary First Comment
    edited September 2013
    Why do they need to know? We only have the option of using compostable or actual plates for our reception at a nature center. Being green is important, but it won't make a difference in how people actually use the plates, right? If you don't have a caterer who is handling disposal, you may need to label your bins seperately for garbage and compostables...but I think the wrong plates will still end up in the wrong bin no matter how many signs you put up.

Just realized that was July 2012 and not July 12. Oh well.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards