Michigan-Lansing

Budget Wedding

Hi everyone! I am just starting to plan for my wedding, which will be in 2013. My fiance and I are paying for it ourselves so we need to have a tight budget. I am looking at a couple different venues to have the ceremony and reception together and a friend is doing our photography for us at really discounted prices. Do any of you have tips on where to find cheaper dresses, rings, dj's, officiants and bakers? Our budget is $10,000 if possible.

Re: Budget Wedding

• Sorry, forgot to add florists to that list too! Thanks!
  • You should check out the sticky thread at the top of the board.  It has a listing of people's vendors as well as costs.
  • $10,000 is totally a do-able budget with just a little work!

My florist was great, though a little difficult to get ahold of sometimes, and by far the cheapest I could find (I'm talking like half as much as anyone else...).  Her name is Michelle McDevitt.  Her email address is mmcdevit7@yahoo.com.  PM me if you want her number or any other info.

For an officiant, maybe you could get a friend or family member to be ordained online.  That would probably save some money.
    Anniversary
  • Cupcakes (plain vanilla or chocolate) are about $1.15 a piece at Bake 'n Cakes in Lansing. 

• Hi there!

I"m doing my entire wedding with 115 guests for just under $8,000, so you definitely can do it.  Here's a list of my tips

Ceremony & Reception -Grand Ledge Opera House (I"m doing a Friday night wedding, which saves almost half off!!)  You save by being able to choose your own caterer and supply your own liquor and beer! (we're doing keg beer and my dad is getting us all the liquor)

Flowers - Highly recommend Flowers by Mary.  High quality but very inexpensive.  I used to go to church with her, super nice and easy to communicate with over phone or by email.  I'm using only roses and gerber daisies too.  Message me if you want more info!  http://www.weddingflowersbymary.com/

Cake - Cake Art by Beth Henderson.  Again super sweet, amazing cakes and her price is the cheapest around.  We're just doing a cake that feeds 100, since not everyone will take a piece.

If you would like any other tips or more info on above, message me and I'll be happy to share my insight.  I also have more info in the vendor reviews too.

Melissa
    8.17.12 - 8 more months to go!
  • I am doing a wedding for around 200 people and my budget is about $9000. Here is where I cut costs:
    Flowers: I am only doing flowers for the bouquets and boutineers- I bought gerbera daisies and other flowers from hobby lobby when they were 1/2 off and painted them. They look great and I only spend $100 on everything.

Cake: We are having my fiance's aunt make the cake- see if you can find a family member or friend to do a cake or cupcakes because they are super easy and cheap!

Photography: Build your own package- photographers have their packages but most will let you pick and choose what you want. I found a photographer who is giving me extra hours and just giving me the printing rights so that I can choose which ones I want to print (I am scrapbooking all the pictures)

Centerpieces: If you can avoid flower centerpieces do it! You will save so much. I am doing empty wine bottles with lights and glittery stem things in them with candles on 2 sides. I bought 65 small vases from someone on here for $50 for all the candles. I spent a total of $200 for 25 centerpieces.

Stationary: We bought all of the paper 1/2 off at Hobby Lobby- I got all of my bridesmaids and friends together and we did an assembly line on my invitations. They are the pocket invitations and look really nice- it only took us about 5 hours to make them and cost about $100 before postage. I made my save the dates myself as well and they cost about $40 before postage. I used the leftover paper from my invitations and save the dates to make the thank you cards. I am also making the programs myself for about $25.

We are getting married at Timber Ridge golf course so we have to use their caterer and alcohol which is a lot more expensive (over 1/2 of our budget) so we had to cut costs everywhere else! It's very possible though.

Look online for alot of the little things- hairpieces, garter sets, cuff links, etc. and you can get them cheaper than buying them in a store and they are usually more unique. Look for the stuff on sale here and on craigslist as well- I just type wedding in the for sale search and get tons of stuff that past brides are selling.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_michigan-lansing_budget-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:96Discussion:274d5eb0-0cda-4d4b-bebe-07ee6cb72f76Post:bbcd9210-4ffa-4ca3-b2d1-5eb0c3b9e5f9">Re: Budget Wedding</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am doing a wedding for around 200 people and my budget is about $9000. Here is where I cut costs: Flowers: I am only doing flowers for the bouquets and boutineers- I bought gerbera daisies and other flowers from hobby lobby when they were 1/2 off and painted them. They look great and I only spend $100 on everything. Cake: We are having my fiance's aunt make the cake- see if you can find a family member or friend to do a cake or cupcakes because they are super easy and cheap! Photography: Build your own package- photographers have their packages but most will let you pick and choose what you want. I found a photographer who is giving me extra hours and just giving me the printing rights so that I can choose which ones I want to print (I am scrapbooking all the pictures) Centerpieces: If you can avoid flower centerpieces do it! You will save so much. I am doing empty wine bottles with lights and glittery stem things in them with candles on 2 sides. I bought 65 small vases from someone on here for $50 for all the candles. I spent a total of $200 for 25 centerpieces. Stationary: We bought all of the paper 1/2 off at Hobby Lobby- I got all of my bridesmaids and friends together and we did an assembly line on my invitations. They are the pocket invitations and look really nice- it only took us about 5 hours to make them and cost about $100 before postage. I made my save the dates myself as well and they cost about $40 before postage. I used the leftover paper from my invitations and save the dates to make the thank you cards. I am also making the programs myself for about $25. We are getting married at Timber Ridge golf course so we have to use their caterer and alcohol which is a lot more expensive (over 1/2 of our budget) so we had to cut costs everywhere else! It's very possible though. Look online for alot of the little things- hairpieces, garter sets, cuff links, etc. and you can get them cheaper than buying them in a store and they are usually more unique. Look for the stuff on sale here and on craigslist as well- I just type wedding in the for sale search and get tons of stuff that past brides are selling.
    Posted by wilso4jr[/QUOTE]

Did they work with you on a custom menu at Timber Ridge? I have been crunching some numbers and our budget/guest list is similar to yours (we're planning on about half for venue/food/drink), and from their info online I had ruled them out on cost. But, if I don't need to do that, maybe I'll give them a call!

OP, if you aren't opposed to a "gently loved" dress, Sequels in Lansing and Savvy in Kalamazoo are consignment shops that might be good to look at. Rings for him (or you) can easily be bought from a trusted online retailer (Amazon, Overstock, etc.), but again that's if you're comfortable. Ditto the others on a friend or family member for officiant.
  • We haven't done much with the menu yet- he said that we didn't need to select the entrees or anything until 3-4 weeks out. He has been really nice, but I'm not sure how willing they would be to negotiate on the prices.

I must say though, I LOVE the golf course. The scenery is beautiful, all of the people so far have been extremely nice and helpful, and from what I've heard from people who have attended weddings there, the food is very good too.
  • Hi everyone,

Thanks so much for the tips! I may have found a great little venue in Williamston - Brookshire Inn and Golf Club. I love that I can have my ceremony and reception in one place, so no transportation costs between venues. They also have a lunch option with their catering, which will save a lot of money as well.

I like the idea for a friend/family member being the officiant. Out of curiosity, do any of you know of a non-religious officiant in the area just to compare options? Neither my fiance nor I want a religious ceremony.
  • DD used Pam Klusack at Matrimony & More as the officiant.  She was awesome and very reasonably priced.  I highly recommend her.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards