New Hampshire

Bar Options

Are you having an open bar or cash bar? Any signature drink ideas for a mainly pink wedding?

Re: Bar Options

• I'm only doing beer and wine and three signature drinks along with iced tea, lemonade, and water. --our reception is at a  private residential barn.

I'll think about signature cocktails for your pink wedding, but you should also ask any bartenders at bars that you enjoy.
  • I am considering open bar.  I will be definitely be having it during cocktail hour.  We will also be doing a champagne pour for a toast and wine during dinner.  If I do not have a totally open bar all night, I plan on an open bar to just the bridal party and our parents.
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    July 2007 Photobucket
    october 2012 Photobucket
  • Open bar and we're doing a prosecco toast instead of champagne.  Cash bars are rude- your guests should never open their wallets at your wedding.  If you decide not to do an open bar, do a limited bar that you can afford.

May 2013 February Siggy: Invitations

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• We're hosting a full open bar for the duration of our reception, cocktail hour included.  We are very fortunate to be able to afford this, but obviously not everyone can.  We will, however, not be offering champagne.

At the very least, you should host what you can afford - and ALWAYS host any non-alcoholic options.  (A girl I know is going to a friend's wedding this coming fall, and they aren't even hosting bottled water in an area with undrinkable tap water.  How awful is that?)  Many places will charge less for hosting just wine and beer, though I strongly recommend wine, beer, and a signature drink if that's at all possible - many people in my family and friend group don't drink beer and are really picky about their wines, including myself.

That said, it also doesn't hurt to know your family and friends - if you are comfortable that you know all of their preferences and can take them into account, hosting something more limited shouldn't be an issue.  Some people I know have opted for just one or two beers, and one red and one white wine to be served, and their friends & family have been perfectly fine with that.
    Mrs. Abbe Peanut Butter || Planning Bio
    June 2012 February Signature: Favorite picture of you & FI
  • We are definitely doing an open bar for cocktail hour, and either open bar or wine and beer only for reception (not sure about that yet). We haven't thought about signature drinks yet since our wedding is a year away. As far as cash bar goes, I know it has a bad reputation, but we went to a wedding with cash bar recently and noone complained about it so I honestly think it's not that big of a deal. But that's just my opinion though. I think that every situation is different depending on the guests and what their expectations would be.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-hampshire_bar-options?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:101Discussion:c9b9cc5f-7234-44df-95c2-b755ca601f13Post:86c1b6bd-8cf5-44bd-bb71-d686a43af207">Re: Bar Options</a>:
    [QUOTE]We are definitely doing an open bar for cocktail hour, and either open bar or wine and beer only for reception (not sure about that yet). We haven't thought about signature drinks yet since our wedding is a year away. As far as cash bar goes, I know it has a bad reputation, but <strong>we went to a wedding with cash bar recently and noone complained about it so I honestly think it's not that big of a deal.</strong> But that's just my opinion though. I think that every situation is different depending on the guests and what their expectations would be.
    Posted by anastassiiat[/QUOTE]

According to etiquette, you should host a full open bar.  Not everyone is offended if this can't happen, and in some circles a cash bar is totally acceptable.  I, personally, would be a little annoyed if it was a cash bar, but I'd get over it.  I have relatives, however, who would be really upset and would continue to be really petty about it for the rest of my life - not being overly dramatic here, this has literally happened.

It's an individual choice what rules of etiquette you are and aren't going to follow, but unfortunately it is possible that some of your guests will be deeply offended if you don't follow something.  I personally don't want to judge what anyone here chooses to do, but I do think it's important that people make conscious and educated choices.
    Mrs. Abbe Peanut Butter || Planning Bio
    June 2012 February Signature: Favorite picture of you & FI
  • We are hosting an open bar.  Many of our guests are traveling 3 1/2 hours by car and some even by plane to be with us and we thought it was the right thing to do.  With that said, it is very pricy and we are hoping to our venue will be accomodating for the pregnant and other non drinking guests that will be at our wedding and not charge us the full open bar fee for those guests.  Has anyone ever heard of a venue allowing you to do that?
  • Thanks everyone! I am thinking we will do an open bar as well but I love to hear everyones plans :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards